Re: Replacements for Firefox and Thunderbird?

Re: Replacements for Firefox and Thunderbird?

Accessys@smart.net

if you don't mind a totally text browser with no bells or tracking
download Alpine and run it. not all hosts will support something that is
so basic but my Kubuntu runs it in a text (konsole) window have been using
it for years. in fact that is what I am sending you this with.

take care
Bob

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> Now, since Mozilla has jumped on the thought police bandwagon to join Google, Twitter, Amazon and Facebook, I'm looking for alternative browsers and an e-mail clients to run on my (K)Ubuntu workstation. Kmail and Evolution both both want to pull in a lot of dependencies, and I will not touch Gmail (or anything Google) in any way, manner, shape or form. Can anyone recommend a lean e-mail client and a browser that does not 'phone home'?
> --
> sent from my 100% Microsoft-free workstation.

Re: Replacements for Firefox and Thunderbird?

Accessys@smart.net

oh and a browser that is basic and has no tracking but no eye candy either
is lynx also a standard kubuntu download.
all text based and command line if that is ok, no GUI's
unfortunately some sites that use java will not display correctly

Bob

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> Now, since Mozilla has jumped on the thought police bandwagon to join Google, Twitter, Amazon and Facebook, I'm looking for alternative browsers and an e-mail clients to run on my (K)Ubuntu workstation. Kmail and Evolution both both want to pull in a lot of dependencies, and I will not touch Gmail (or anything Google) in any way, manner, shape or form. Can anyone recommend a lean e-mail client and a browser that does not 'phone home'?
> --
> sent from my 100% Microsoft-free workstation.

Re: Replacements for Firefox and Thunderbird?

Rafael de Campos
try to use Brave browser.

Em qua., 13 de jan. de 2021 às 18:07, Bob <[hidden email]> escreveu:

oh and a browser that is basic and has no tracking but no eye candy either
is lynx also a standard kubuntu download.
all text based and command line if that is ok, no GUI's
unfortunately some sites that use java will not display correctly

Bob

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> Now, since Mozilla has jumped on the thought police bandwagon to join Google, Twitter, Amazon and Facebook, I'm looking for alternative browsers and an e-mail clients to run on my (K)Ubuntu workstation. Kmail and Evolution both both want to pull in a lot of dependencies, and I will not touch Gmail (or anything Google) in any way, manner, shape or form. Can anyone recommend a lean e-mail client and a browser that does not 'phone home'?
> --
> sent from my 100% Microsoft-free workstation.

Re: Replacements for Firefox and Thunderbird?

ircsurfer
what about Chromium for a browser?

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

On Jan 13, 2021, 13:06, Bob < [hidden email]> wrote:

oh and a browser that is basic and has no tracking but no eye candy either
is lynx also a standard kubuntu download.
all text based and command line if that is ok, no GUI's
unfortunately some sites that use java will not display correctly

Bob

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> Now, since Mozilla has jumped on the thought police bandwagon to join Google, Twitter, Amazon and Facebook, I'm looking for alternative browsers and an e-mail clients to run on my (K)Ubuntu workstation. Kmail and Evolution both both want to pull in a lot of dependencies, and I will not touch Gmail (or anything Google) in any way, manner, shape or form. Can anyone recommend a lean e-mail client and a browser that does not 'phone home'?
> --
> sent from my 100% Microsoft-free workstation.

Re: Replacements for Firefox and Thunderbird?

David Lang
Chromium and Brave are based on Google Chrome

I use alpine for my mail 99% of the time (there are a few emails that really do
need html support to find the links in them)

David Lang

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, ircsurfer wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 00:04:38 +0000
> From: ircsurfer <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Replacements for Firefox and Thunderbird?
>
> what about Chromium for a browser?
>
> Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Cody Smith-2
Chrome, Brave and all the rest of the Blink-based browsers are based on Chromium, Chromium is the open source browser that Google takes, adds their proprietary bits and releases as Chrome

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021, Cody Smith wrote:

> Chrome, Brave and all the rest of the Blink-based browsers are based on
> Chromium, Chromium is the open source browser that Google takes, adds their
> proprietary bits and releases as Chrome

IS that the order? or is it that Google develops Chrome and Chromium is Chrome
with the proprietary bits removed?

How much non-Google developer effort goes in to Chromium?

David Lang