Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

bmarsh@bmarsh.com

From: Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]>
To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <[hidden email]>, [hidden email], Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>
Subject: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test
Date: 6/29/17, 4:33 PM

Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu

Please report test results here:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds

If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
support.

Is there any reason to keep it?

I have 1 laptop and 3 servers running i386.   And several spares as backup.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

David Fletcher-5
On Thu, 2017-06-29 at 13:33 -0700, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I
> think
> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
> support.
>
> Is there any reason to keep it?
>
> Valorie

I'm running a headless server with 32 bit hardware but nothing 32 bit
with a GUI. I guess I could replace the motherboard but it seems like a
sinful waste to throw away perfectly good working hardware that
continues to do its job perfectly well.

Dave F

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

J. L.-2
On 29.06.2017 22:33, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu
>
> Please report test results here:
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds
>
> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
> support.
>
> Is there any reason to keep it?

Hi!

If You were only referring to _K_ubuntu (meaning _DESKTOP_-usage) at
least for me there is no need for i386 any more; given that 16.04 will
be supported till its planned end in 2021.

But if we are talking about Ubuntu-(Server) (16.04) this decision to
dump i386 would imply quite a lot of very unpleasant decisions and
implications as i have more than 15 machines running i386 very well (9
productive, some of them 24/7, 7 backups / reserve). And as long as they
are just doing what they ought to at least for me there is absolutely
not the slightest need to change a running team!

Thanks a lot for Your highly appreciated work!!! :-)

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Accessys@smart.net

and there are a LOT of folks that are not able to continually upgrade.

32bit will likely remain for many more years.  dropping support is sure
fire way to drive folks away from Linux/Kubuntu.

Bob

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017, David Fletcher wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 22:07:05 +0100
> From: David Fletcher <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test
>
> On Thu, 2017-06-29 at 13:33 -0700, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I
>> think
>> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
>> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
>> support.
>>
>> Is there any reason to keep it?
>>
>> Valorie
>
> I'm running a headless server with 32 bit hardware but nothing 32 bit
> with a GUI. I guess I could replace the motherboard but it seems like a
> sinful waste to throw away perfectly good working hardware that
> continues to do its job perfectly well.
>
> Dave F

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Valorie Zimmerman
Amen to what Aaron said. Without testing, we *cannot* keep it, because
we can't guarantee a quality project. I personally do not have time to
set up 32-bit VMs to do minimum testing. We rely on those who *want*
32-bit to help support it.

Naturally, this is only for *Kubuntu*, not Ubuntu server or any other
flavor. Some of them still support 32-bit, and some do not. Those who
dropped it did so because they did not get good test coverage.

Report results here: http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds

Thanks!

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Clay Weber-2
The lack of testers, the lack of bug reports, and the lack of response here seem to indicate that i386 users in our community are a rather tiny group. One that is likely shrinking even more.

The short lifespans of non-LTS releases do not help, either. Perhaps dropping support now may  be the best time to pull the plug.On Jun 29, 2017 4:33 PM, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu
>
> Please report test results here:
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds
>
> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
> support.
>
> Is there any reason to keep it?
>
> Valorie
>
> --
> http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Alan (grokit)
I personally don't use the 32 bit flavor of Kubuntu. LXQT will take care of that soon(?). It is close enough to Kubuntu to run on old, slow hardware. The only machine I use 32 bit anything on is an old netbook. Although Kubuntu ran OK on it Lubuntu runs better.
Sad to see the 32 bit version go away but that hardware is going away like DVD players in a desktop.
By the way, thanks to everybody who works on Kubuntu. If any of you find yourselves in central New Jersey, shoot me an email and I'll buy you a beer.

Alan

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:33:53 PM EDT Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu
>
> Please report test results here:
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds
>
> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
> support.
>
> Is there any reason to keep it?
>
> Valorie

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi folks, we did not get the testing coverage we needed for the Alpha
1, so there is no Alpha 1i386  Kubuntu Artful image. We haven't pulled
it entirely however: next month is Alpha 2, and there will again be a
chance for those of you who want i386 to be released, to do the
testing before the deadline.

I agree that the next LTS is will be an important decision point.
18.04 due to be released next April will be an LTS. It will again be
in the hands of those in the Kubuntu community who want i386 to be
released, to test. Without test coverage, I cannot in good conscience
as the Release Manager give the go-ahead to publish. Nor do I have the
time to personally do the testing for a build I do not and probably
never will use.

Kubuntu is produced by the community. None of us are paid; all of us
work on a volunteer basis. We rely on the community for testing, for
bug reports, for bug triage, for writing, promotion, publicity, for
donations -- in short, for everything.

If you enjoy using Kubuntu, please consider how you can bump up your
contribution a bit, and keep us healthy and growing.

Thanks,

Valorie
Artful Kubuntu Release Manager

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 5:38 AM, xeros <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I still have 2 32-bit i386 systems running older *ubuntu - one Pentium 4
> desktop with Kubuntu (used mostly by my children) and one very old laptop
> with Celeron 366MHz with Xubuntu and LXDE. I don't want to loose support for
> them yet. I just miss time for testing all releases.
>
> Additionally, I have newer, but really low-end 64-bit laptop that has power
> management & other drivers problems under any native Linux distros, so I
> keep 32-bit Kubuntu & Mint virtualized with Virtualbox seamless desktop on
> top of Windows 10, that uses less resources than 64-bit versions.
>
> Maybe if you really want to drop 32-bit support, could you at least still
> keep those builds for LTS releases?
>
> Regards,
> Tom
>

> Dnia 30 czerwca 2017 12:56:36 Clay Weber <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
>
>> The lack of testers, the lack of bug reports, and the lack of response
>> here seem to indicate that i386 users in our community are a rather tiny
>> group. One that is likely shrinking even more.
>>
>> The short lifespans of non-LTS releases do not help, either. Perhaps
>> dropping support now may  be the best time to pull the plug.On Jun 29, 2017
>> 4:33 PM, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu
>>>
>>> Please report test results here:
>>> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds
>>>
>>> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
>>> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
>>> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
>>> support.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason to keep it?
>>>
>>> Valorie

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

bmarsh@bmarsh.com

Ok, ok....   ya go me.  I'll test it as best I can.   I personally would love to see the 18.04 LTS  as maybe the last 32 bit release with the usual LTS length of support.  That should cover things and with such an announcement, people could plan for it.   I could buy into that.

As it is, we didn't get ANY notice you were thinking of killing 32 bit.

From: Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]>
To: xeros <[hidden email]>
CC: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <[hidden email]>, [hidden email], Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>, Clay Weber <[hidden email]>
Date: 6/30/17, 5:37 PM

From: Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]>
To: xeros <[hidden email]>
Date: 6/30/17, 5:37 PM

> [...]

>> group. One that is likely shrinking even more.
>>
>> The short lifespans of non-LTS releases do not help, either. Perhaps
>> dropping support now may be the best time to pull the plug.On Jun 29, 2017
>> 4:33 PM, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu
>>>
>>> Please report test results here:
>>> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds
>>>
>>> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
>>> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
>>> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
>>> support.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason to keep it?
>>>
>>> Valorie

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Not complaining...  just making the case that with some advanced notice, I think most could "buy into a plan" to eliminate 32 bit.

From: Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]>
To: xeros <[hidden email]>
Date: 6/30/17, 5:37 PM

> [...]

>> group. One that is likely shrinking even more.
>>
>> The short lifespans of non-LTS releases do not help, either. Perhaps
>> dropping support now may be the best time to pull the plug.On Jun 29, 2017
>> 4:33 PM, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu
>>>
>>> Please report test results here:
>>> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds
>>>
>>> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
>>> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
>>> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
>>> support.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason to keep it?
>>>
>>> Valorie

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Ferry Toth
Op Fri, 30 Jun 2017 06:55:42 -0400, schreef Clay Weber:

> The lack of testers, the lack of bug reports, and the lack of response
> here seem to indicate that i386 users in our community are a rather tiny
> group. One that is likely shrinking even more.

My mother uses i386. But she doesn't read this list. And I doubt she
would be able to help testing or write bug reports. She is 76 years old.

I don't thing lack of testers or bug reports is a good measure for lack
of users. There must be a better way, like counting downloads of a
specific package (i386 vs ams64).

Don't forget kubuntu is likely to be installed on older machines as a
replacement of WinXP and many are i386.

> The short lifespans of non-LTS releases do not help, either. Perhaps
> dropping support now may  be the best time to pull the plug.On Jun 29,
> 2017 4:33 PM, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu
>>
>> Please report test results here:
>> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds
>>
>> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
>> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
>> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
>> support.
>>
>> Is there any reason to keep it?
>>
>> Valorie
>>
>> --
>> http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

ray burke
Alan and friends,

I still use 32bit k12.04 on dialup, as I am only a pensioner cant
afford to go higher
that this even thought I would like to try k16.04 , but to update, I
require 1.4gb of  down
load but cant cause of dialup that why I use dual boot win7 /k12.04?

Ray

On 7/1/17, Alan (grokit) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I personally don't use the 32 bit flavor of Kubuntu. LXQT will take care of
> that soon(?). It is close enough to Kubuntu to run on old, slow hardware.
> The only machine I use 32 bit anything on is an old netbook. Although
> Kubuntu ran OK on it Lubuntu runs better.
> Sad to see the 32 bit version go away but that hardware is going away like
> DVD players in a desktop.
> By the way, thanks to everybody who works on Kubuntu. If any of you find
> yourselves in central New Jersey, shoot me an email and I'll buy you a
> beer.
>
> Alan
>

> On Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:33:53 PM EDT Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>> Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu
>>
>> Please report test results here:
>> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds
>>
>> If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
>> we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
>> questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
>> support.
>>
>> Is there any reason to keep it?
>>
>> Valorie

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

bmarsh@bmarsh.com
On 06/29/2017 04:47 PM, Bmarsh wrote:
Is it worth downloading Alpha 1 32 bit  or will Alpha 2 be along soon?

From: Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]>
To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <[hidden email]>, [hidden email], Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>
Date: 6/29/17, 4:33 PM

Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu

Please report test results here:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds

If we don't get complete test coverage on the i386 test cases, I think
we should drop it now. the KCI doesn't build the images, we get no
questions about 32-bit any more, and it is in general a pain to
support.

Is there any reason to keep it?

I have 1 laptop and 3 servers running i386.   And several spares as backup.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this
plan just might work. - (Metaphor on High School Essay)

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

David-2
Please drop kubuntu i386 support.

On 1 Jul 2017 20:31, "Bruce Marshall" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/29/2017 04:47 PM, Bmarsh wrote:
Is it worth downloading Alpha 1 32 bit  or will Alpha 2 be along soon?

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

bmarsh@bmarsh.com
On 06/29/2017 04:47 PM, Bmarsh wrote:
> Hello folks, Art Alpha 1 is released today: release notes:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/Alpha1/Kubuntu
>
> Please report test results here:
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/378/builds

Did I miss something??   Went to grab a 32 bit image file and there
aren't any at the above link.  All 64 bit

Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Accessys@smart.net

how in the heck can you complain no testers when there is nothing to
test?????

Bob

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 8:07 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> how in the heck can you complain no testers when there is nothing to
> test?????
>
> Bob

Hi Bob, you can always test the daily ISOs.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2017, Aaron Honeycutt wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 22:45:03 -0400
>> From: Aaron Honeycutt <[hidden email]>
>> To: Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test
>>

>> 32 bit was not included this Alpha.

>>> Did I miss something??   Went to grab a 32 bit image file and there
>>> aren't
>>> any at the above link.  All 64 bit

Evidently you were just a bit late. Once the alpha and beta ISOs are
spun, we have only a few days to complete the required testing at the
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones site before the
milestone release. Testing afterward is great, but it does not help in
qualifying the milestone for release.

In answer to another question -- we have loads of automated testing,
all during the development process, as does our upstreams, Debian and
KDE. In addition, we have our own "KCI" which is the Kubuntu
Continuous Integration tests of our own automated packaging. Without
this, our small crew would not be able to create Kubuntu.

We rely on PEOPLE to install and use the ISOs and the software itself,
and file bugs, and fix them if possible. We want feedback of all
sorts, even grumbling. Everybody uses different equipment and has
different needs and tastes. We rely on you the users to talk to the
team when something needs fixing. What seems like an obvious bug to
you might not have been seen by any of us. Remember we are a small
team, and all volunteer.

According to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseSchedule
the Alpha 2 is July 27th. So we have about 2 weeks to get ready. I
will put out a call *as soon as possible after the ISOs are spun*
although I will be in Spain at Akademy. So I'll have even less time to
test than usual, although I am running Artful on my main machine
already. :-)

If you are one of the people who want i386 to be out for general
testing, please plan on helping run the test suites on the qa tracker
for i386, so that we can release this milestone on the way to our
final release of 17.10 in October.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez