Re: Software (app) for camcorder interface with xubuntu 16.04

Re: Software (app) for camcorder interface with xubuntu 16.04

MR ZenWiz
On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At Sun, 29 Oct 2017 21:03:21 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I have an HP 8740w notebook to which I would like to connect a
>> camcorder.  However, I can neither find any such app on the machine,

Thanks to all who responded.

Yes, it has a (mini) firewire port, but I don't have a FW cable for
that (yet - dunno if I'll get one).

I tried using the mini-USB port, but I couldn't get the notebook to
recognize that at all.  Not sure why.

I first tried to put the camcorder's SDHC card in the notebook's card
reader, but it wouldn't register.  After the above failed, I poked
around and found a suggestion to access it via the file manager
(thunar),  That failed, but it told me why - no exfat driver.  I added
that, and voila.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the camera operator did not record
the intended subject matter at all - not sure why, but it doesn't
matter.

I need to start to remember to check the system logs before getting
lost in the ineffective alternatives.

Again, thanks.

Xen

MR ZenWiz schreef op 30-10-2017 21:52:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Robert Heller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> At Sun, 29 Oct 2017 21:03:21 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,
>> not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I have an HP 8740w notebook to which I would like to connect a
>>> camcorder.  However, I can neither find any such app on the machine,
>>

> Thanks to all who responded.
>
> Yes, it has a (mini) firewire port, but I don't have a FW cable for
> that (yet - dunno if I'll get one).

I think I could send you one; I have no firewire products and I have no
clue where I got it, but I think I have one of those, new.

But I don't know where you at (how far from the Netherlands).

I dunno.

> I need to start to remember to check the system logs before getting
> lost in the ineffective alternatives.

That's something that has become harder with systemd-journald so it's
just an unfortunate fact of life these days that checking the logs is
not the first thing you do...

You would need a desktop-based log-shower for that.

Again, no human fault... software at fault....