Quantcast

Re: Software updater no longer functional

Re: Software updater no longer functional

MR ZenWiz
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 5:23 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 January 2017 at 22:00, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > No errors, no conflicts, everything looks fine.
> >
> > I just noticed something different - when I click on the red circle,
> > there is a greyed out message that says "A problem occurred when
> > checking for the updates."  Then I click on "Show Updates" nad they
> > show, but they don't update.  I have to use the command line to get
> > the updates.
>

> I've had that too. I regard it as a visual glitch and ignore it.
>
> Have you tried an apt cleanup?
>
> sudo apt clean
> sudo apt autoremove
> sudo apt purge
>
> ... then reboot.

This problem has not gone away, but despite the blank window (see
attached), it shows up in top as doing something, though what I don't
know and it never finishes an update..

Only happens on my desktop, which has a fresh installation of Xubuntu
16.04.1 plus updates running since I installed the SSD for my /root.
On the three other machines to which I have access and run Xubuntu
16.04, this is the only one with the problem.

Thanks.

SwUpdaterRunning.png (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Software updater no longer functional

Wade Smart-2
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 12:34 AM, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 5:23 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 27 January 2017 at 22:00, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > No errors, no conflicts, everything looks fine.
>> >
>> > I just noticed something different - when I click on the red circle,
>> > there is a greyed out message that says "A problem occurred when
>> > checking for the updates."  Then I click on "Show Updates" nad they
>> > show, but they don't update.  I have to use the command line to get
>> > the updates.
>>

>> I've had that too. I regard it as a visual glitch and ignore it.
>>
>> Have you tried an apt cleanup?
>>
>> sudo apt clean
>> sudo apt autoremove
>> sudo apt purge
>>
>> ... then reboot.
>>

> This problem has not gone away, but despite the blank window (see
> attached), it shows up in top as doing something, though what I don't
> know and it never finishes an update..
>
> Only happens on my desktop, which has a fresh installation of Xubuntu
> 16.04.1 plus updates running since I installed the SSD for my /root.
> On the three other machines to which I have access and run Xubuntu
> 16.04, this is the only one with the problem.
>
> Thanks.

Ive had the same problem with 16.04 Ubuntu for a while now. Not every
time, but at least every
third time. It does it more on my laptop than my desktop, and it does
it even when cabled to the network.