Re: To all Ubuntu Planets Administrators

Re: To all Ubuntu Planets Administrators

Matthew East
Forwarding to the loco-contacts list

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 15:20 -0500, Og Maciel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Og Maciel and together with a small group of Brazilian
> Linux enthusiasts, we successfully launched the Brazilian Ubuntu
> Planet last November.  The reason why I'm writing this is to ask the
> administrators/leaders of the other Ubuntu Planets out there
> (apparently, there's a German, French, Italian, amongst other Planets
> out there) if they'd be interested in adding a link of all the other
> Planets to their own site, so to let other people know how global
> Ubuntu's reach has become, maybe even incentive other people who
> currently do not have a Planet of their own language to start one...
> We would add a link to every other Ubuntu Planet out there to our site
> (http://planeta.ubuntubrasil.org) and everyone would also add a link
> to our site...
>
> Those interested can reply directly to my email or just respond here...
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Og B. Maciel

> GPG Keys: D5CFC202
>
> http://www.ogmaciel.com (en_US)
> http://blog.ogmaciel.com (pt_BR)

gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Re: To all Ubuntu Planets Administrators

Jane Silber

>>,
>>
>>My name is Og Maciel and together with a small group of Brazilian
>>Linux enthusiasts, we successfully launched the Brazilian Ubuntu
>>Planet last November.  The reason why I'm writing this is to ask the
>>administrators/leaders of the other Ubuntu Planets out there
>>(apparently, there's a German, French, Italian, amongst other Planets
>>out there) if they'd be interested in adding a link of all the other
>>Planets to their own site, so to let other people know how global
>>Ubuntu's reach has become, maybe even incentive other people who
>>currently do not have a Planet of their own language to start one...
>>We would add a link to every other Ubuntu Planet out there to our site
>>(http://planeta.ubuntubrasil.org) and everyone would also add a link
>>to our site...

We would also like to link to local Planets from planet.ubuntu.com.
Please send the links to me too!

Thanks
Jane

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 10:39 +0000, Jane Silber wrote:

> We would also like to link to local Planets from planet.ubuntu.com.
> Please send the links to me too!

Forwarding again from Og, cc: to jdub too.

[quote]

Here's what we've gathered so far:

*  "Official": http://planet.ubuntu.com
          o  Channel: #ubuntu @ chat.freenode.net
*  Germany: http://ikhaya.ubuntuusers.de
          o  Channel: #ubuntu-de @ chat.freenode.net
*  Brasil: http://planeta.ubuntubrasil.org
          o  Channel: #ubuntu-br @ chat.freenode.net
*  Eslovenia: http://www.ubuntu.si/planet/output
*  France: http://planet.ubuntu-fr.org
          o  Channel: #ubuntu-fr @ chat.freenode.net
*  Holland: http://planet.ubuntu-nl.org
          o  Channel: #ubuntu-nl @ chat.freenode.net
*  Italy: http://planet.ubuntu-it.org
          o  Channel: #ubuntu-it @ chat.freenode.net
*  Poland: http://planet.ubuntu-pl.org
*  Spain: http://www.ubuntu-es.org/blog
*  Sweden: http://planet.ubuntulinux.se
*  Taiwan: http://planet.ubuntu.org.tw
          o  Channel: #ubuntu-tw @ chat.freenode.net

[/quote]

It might be nice to collect these on a wiki page somewhere. I've thought
for some time that the webpages dealing with localised support and
websites are a bit sparse, and I'm hoping to improve them soon. So the
more wiki material there is, the easier this will be.

Matt
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Re: To all Ubuntu Planets Administrators

Jerome Gotangco
heh, you forgot us, the brazilian team's server mate :)

Ubuntu Team Philippines
http://www.ubuntu-ph.org/planet

Jerome

On 2/1/06, Matthew East <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 10:39 +0000, Jane Silber wrote:
>
> > We would also like to link to local Planets from planet.ubuntu.com.
> > Please send the links to me too!
>
> Forwarding again from Og, cc: to jdub too.
>
> [quote]
>
> Here's what we've gathered so far:
>
> *  "Official": http://planet.ubuntu.com
>           o  Channel: #ubuntu @ chat.freenode.net
> *  Germany: http://ikhaya.ubuntuusers.de
>           o  Channel: #ubuntu-de @ chat.freenode.net
> *  Brasil: http://planeta.ubuntubrasil.org
>           o  Channel: #ubuntu-br @ chat.freenode.net
> *  Eslovenia: http://www.ubuntu.si/planet/output
> *  France: http://planet.ubuntu-fr.org
>           o  Channel: #ubuntu-fr @ chat.freenode.net
> *  Holland: http://planet.ubuntu-nl.org
>           o  Channel: #ubuntu-nl @ chat.freenode.net
> *  Italy: http://planet.ubuntu-it.org
>           o  Channel: #ubuntu-it @ chat.freenode.net
> *  Poland: http://planet.ubuntu-pl.org
> *  Spain: http://www.ubuntu-es.org/blog
> *  Sweden: http://planet.ubuntulinux.se
> *  Taiwan: http://planet.ubuntu.org.tw
>           o  Channel: #ubuntu-tw @ chat.freenode.net
>
> [/quote]
>
> It might be nice to collect these on a wiki page somewhere. I've thought
> for some time that the webpages dealing with localised support and
> websites are a bit sparse, and I'm hoping to improve them soon. So the
> more wiki material there is, the easier this will be.
>
> Matt
> gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Jerome Gotangco
[hidden email] | [hidden email]
Mobile: +639196555242
GPG: 0xA97B69A0

Re: To all Ubuntu Planets Administrators

Og Maciel

Re: To all Ubuntu Planets Administrators

yann-3

>>Hello,
>>
>>My name is Og Maciel and together with a small group of Brazilian
>>Linux enthusiasts, we successfully launched the Brazilian Ubuntu
>>Planet last November.  The reason why I'm writing this is to ask the
>>administrators/leaders of the other Ubuntu Planets out there
>>(apparently, there's a German, French, Italian, amongst other Planets
>>out there) if they'd be interested in adding a link of all the other
>>Planets to their own site, so to let other people know how global
>>Ubuntu's reach has become, maybe even incentive other people who
>>currently do not have a Planet of their own language to start one...
>>We would add a link to every other Ubuntu Planet out there to our site
>>(http://planeta.ubuntubrasil.org) and everyone would also add a link
>>to our site...
>>
>>Those interested can reply directly to my email or just respond here...

"so to let other people know how global Ubuntu's reach has become"
The idea is great, it makes me think of the wikipedia's homepage. But, do you really think making the planets link to each other would let other people know how global ubuntu's reach has become? Maybe. So, why not, if everyone agrees, Ubuntu-fr's planet will be linking to other planets too.

But I think there are far more ways to show that globalisation, To show people that there are lots of locoteams is a good thing; to prove them they're also working together, is better.

Ubuntu-fr is working with Ubuntu-de for quite some time now, as we first had hosting issues at the same time. But more than hosting, we are both now starting projects in common. I'm  also trying to get more locoteams involved in these projects - you should soon hear about an interview project, an FTP project, and.... more to come, stay tuned ;)

My final goal is to make these projects popular, in order to prove that ubuntu teams from different countries are able to work together (well, and by the way let people know there _are_ other locoteams ;) ).

For one year now, this mailing list is approaching death; what I suggest is, every time that you start a new project, just think about if it could be interesting for other locoteams, too. Expose your projects here, and get other locoteams involved. I'm often gathering ideas on ubuntu-de.org and ubuntu-it.org, i'd just love if locoteams could just tell us about their great ideas :)

Yann Hamon - Ubuntu-fr

Re: To all Ubuntu Planets Administrators

Og Maciel
Hi Yann,

First of all, I was completely affected by the enthusiasm of your
words!  I'm not a Linux zealot but am extremelly dedicated to
advocating Linux (not only Ubuntu) and the Open Source ways.  Nothing
would give me more pleasure than to see all Planets acting as one
Solar System!  I have visited some of the Planets and boy!!!  If I
could only speak/understand more languages!!!  I'm sure that if we
could funnel all of the ideas floating around into one main place
(maybe this list? maybe a wiki page?), we could most likely avoid
redundancy and even provide each other with any missing component
(skills, time, advocacy, training) need to achieve a goal!  I'd love
to iniciate a Translation Love Day, where people would join in the
ever going process of translating Ubuntu packages to their native
tongue!  Late last year I sponsored a "Ubuntu Sweepstakes 2005", where
people would sign up to see who could translate more (and earn karma
points) packages before Dec. 25th.  The winner, FRNSantos, would win a
copy of the upcoming book "Beginning Ubuntu".  I have the book
reserved (it will be published this March) and will mail it to him
free of charge to his address in Brazil!  It is very human that people
tend to respond better when their effort is acknowledged, so I have
been successfull so far in keeping the majority of the translators
motivated...

I better stop my blahbing now before I bore you all to death...  hehehe

You guys can count on me!

Og B. Maciel

GPG Keys: D5CFC202

http://www.ogmaciel.com (en_US)
http://blog.ogmaciel.com (pt_BR)

Re: To all Ubuntu Planets Administrators

emmanuel idemudia
Dear sir,
Hello,
as an ubuntu Planets Administrator how can i get paid to put my system in other and work fulltime.
Thanks
Emmanuel
mail;[hidden email]