Re: Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 automated random key inputs from somewhere on laptop

Re: Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 automated random key inputs from somewhere on laptop

Colin Law
On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 10:09, New Lad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been using ubuntu 18.04 ( budgie ) for my laptop for quite some time. Recently, wierd shit started happening,  I would be browsing a website and scroll down and the the webpage would zoom out. Many other such instances happened until I realised that for some reason the Ctrl button input was being given at certain times. Not only that sometimes my mouse right clicks on its own and when I'm browsing something,  it automatically goes down. I checked the laptop keyboard and it is in mint condition.
>
> Can someone offer some insight please?
>
> Feel free to forward this message to another mailing list. Just link this email address please.

I have removed the lists other than ubuntu-users from your collection
of lists you sent this to.  It is best just to use one list.  Those
subscribed to several lists don't want to see their inboxes cluttered
up with multiple copies of posts.

I know it seems like an odd coincidence but I would still suspect
hardware.  If at all possible try replacing the keyboard and mouse and
see if the problem remains.

Also run, in a terminal
tail -f /var/log/syslog
and see if there are any rude messages, particularly when you see odd
things happening.  You can just leave it open then have a look when it
goes wrong.

Colin

Re: Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 automated random key inputs from somewhere on laptop

Colin Watson
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 10:22:01AM +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 10:09, New Lad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've been using ubuntu 18.04 ( budgie ) for my laptop for quite some
> > time. Recently, wierd shit started happening,  I would be browsing a
> > website and scroll down and the the webpage would zoom out. Many
> > other such instances happened until I realised that for some reason
> > the Ctrl button input was being given at certain times. Not only
> > that sometimes my mouse right clicks on its own and when I'm
> > browsing something,  it automatically goes down. I checked the
> > laptop keyboard and it is in mint condition.
>
> I know it seems like an odd coincidence but I would still suspect
> hardware.  If at all possible try replacing the keyboard and mouse and
> see if the problem remains.

It's also possibly worth checking accessibility settings (maybe
"Universal Access"; don't know what Budgie calls them) to see if
anything is enabled there that you aren't expecting to use.  I saw some
very strange effects on my wife's laptop recently that turned out to be
due to this.