Re: Unable to write to new partitions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Bret Busby-2
On 17/03/2018, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 21:34:16 CET schrieb Bret Busby:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I shrank the boot partitions of teo installed operating systems, and,
>> for each thence created unallocated space, I created a new sext4
>> partition, to which, I assigned the respective labels Data05 and
>> Data06.
>>
>> I then, from within my UbuntuMATE 16.04 installation, ran sudo chmod
>> 777 on each new partition, so as to enable read+write access to the
>> two partitions.
>>
>> But, I can not write to the two partitions.
>
> Might they be mounted read-only? What is in your /etc/fstab?
>

None of the Dataxx partitions are displayed in running
cat /etc/fstab as me (user) - the Dataxx partitions are mounted by
selecting them using the Places -> Removable media facility.

Data01 to Data04 are readable and writable, being mounted this way.

> Have you done a reboot after you changed your partitions? (Just guessing)
>

I do not remember whether I had rebooted after running the chmod
commands on the two partitions, but, as the system crashed/froze while
I was trying to reload firefox before rebooting (to try to avoid
losing the last session, as mozilla abolished the Save session
functionality), I have now rebooted, after running the chmod 660
command as advised on both partitions, and they are sill not writable.


--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Bret Busby-2
On 17/03/2018, Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 09:34:16PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> I shrank the boot partitions of teo installed operating systems, and,
>> for each thence created unallocated space, I created a new sext4
>> partition, to which, I assigned the respective labels Data05 and
>> Data06.
>>
>> I then, from within my UbuntuMATE 16.04 installation, ran sudo chmod
>> 777 on each new partition, so as to enable read+write access to the
>> two partitions.
>>
>> But, I can not write to the two partitions.
>>
>> What do I need to further do, to these partitions, to enable read+write
>> access?
>>
>> "
>> ls -l /dev/sda18
>> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 2 Mar 17 20:50 /dev/sda18
>> bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ sudo chmod 777 /dev/sda18
>
> This is dangerous and you should undo it as soon as possible ("sudo
> chmod 660 /dev/sda18 /dev/sda19").  Otherwise-unprivileged processes on
> your system don't need the ability to write to the *device nodes*.
>

Done. Did not solve problem. Paste still greyed out when trying to
Cut/Copy -> Paste. Used chmod 666 and Paste now not greyed out, but
now I get the error \
"
Error while copying "LiveLongAndProspurr.png".
There was an error copying the file into /media/bret/Data05.
Error opening file '/media/bret/Data05/LiveLongAndProspurr.png':
Permission denied
"

> I suspect what you wanted to do was to modify the permissions on the
> *mount points* instead.  What does "ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
> /media/bret/Data06" say?
>

None of the mounted (as previously described) Dataxx partitions are displayed;

"
bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
/media/bret/Data06
drw-rw-rw- 3 root root 4096 Mar 17 18:26 /media/bret/Data05
drw-rw-rw- 3 root root 4096 Mar 17 19:35 /media/bret/Data06
bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda15 during installation
UUID=a0f4e2ea-1b4a-4e11-8162-b89944da2677 /               ext4
errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=8e723a5f-40f0-4550-a77e-347613015c7a none            swap    sw
           0       0
bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ sudo cat /etc/fstab
[sudo] password for bret:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda15 during installation
UUID=a0f4e2ea-1b4a-4e11-8162-b89944da2677 /               ext4
errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=8e723a5f-40f0-4550-a77e-347613015c7a none            swap    sw
           0       0
"


--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Bret Busby-2
On 17/03/2018, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/03/2018, Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 09:34:16PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> I shrank the boot partitions of teo installed operating systems, and,
>>> for each thence created unallocated space, I created a new sext4
>>> partition, to which, I assigned the respective labels Data05 and
>>> Data06.
>>>
>>> I then, from within my UbuntuMATE 16.04 installation, ran sudo chmod
>>> 777 on each new partition, so as to enable read+write access to the
>>> two partitions.
>>>
>>> But, I can not write to the two partitions.
>>>
>>> What do I need to further do, to these partitions, to enable read+write
>>> access?
>>>
>>> "
>>> ls -l /dev/sda18
>>> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 2 Mar 17 20:50 /dev/sda18
>>> bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ sudo chmod 777 /dev/sda18
>>
>> This is dangerous and you should undo it as soon as possible ("sudo
>> chmod 660 /dev/sda18 /dev/sda19").  Otherwise-unprivileged processes on
>> your system don't need the ability to write to the *device nodes*.
>>
>
> Done. Did not solve problem. Paste still greyed out when trying to
> Cut/Copy -> Paste. Used chmod 666 and Paste now not greyed out, but
> now I get the error \
> "
> Error while copying "LiveLongAndProspurr.png".
> There was an error copying the file into /media/bret/Data05.
> Error opening file '/media/bret/Data05/LiveLongAndProspurr.png':
> Permission denied
> "
>
>> I suspect what you wanted to do was to modify the permissions on the
>> *mount points* instead.  What does "ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
>> /media/bret/Data06" say?
>>
>
> None of the mounted (as previously described) Dataxx partitions are
> displayed;
>
> "
> bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
> /media/bret/Data06
> drw-rw-rw- 3 root root 4096 Mar 17 18:26 /media/bret/Data05
> drw-rw-rw- 3 root root 4096 Mar 17 19:35 /media/bret/Data06
> bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ cat /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
> # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
> # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
> #
> # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
> # / was on /dev/sda15 during installation
> UUID=a0f4e2ea-1b4a-4e11-8162-b89944da2677 /               ext4
> errors=remount-ro 0       1
> # swap was on /dev/sda8 during installation
> UUID=8e723a5f-40f0-4550-a77e-347613015c7a none            swap    sw
>            0       0
> bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ sudo cat /etc/fstab
> [sudo] password for bret:
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
> # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
> # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
> #
> # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
> # / was on /dev/sda15 during installation
> UUID=a0f4e2ea-1b4a-4e11-8162-b89944da2677 /               ext4
> errors=remount-ro 0       1
> # swap was on /dev/sda8 during installation
> UUID=8e723a5f-40f0-4550-a77e-347613015c7a none            swap    sw
>            0       0
> "
>

Sorry - the two Dataxx partitions, as shown above, are clearly shown
in the response to the command that you specified (Note - that ia
after I applied the chmod 666, rather than the chmod660).The Dataxx
partitions not being displayed, applies to the response to the  cat
/etc/fstab command.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800, Bret Busby did not reply to Colin
Watson's question:
>I suspect what you wanted to do was to modify the permissions on the
>*mount points* instead.  What does "ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
>/media/bret/Data06" say?

Let alone potential "id -u" or "attributes" issues.

Btw. take a look at explanations of "lsattr" and "umask".

My recommendation is to be even careful with mount points permissions
and instead to change permissions of directories on those partitions.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Bret Busby-2
On 18/03/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800,


Bret Busby did not reply to Colin
> Watson's question:

WRONG!!

READ THE OUTPUT THAT I POSTED!

>>I suspect what you wanted to do was to modify the permissions on the
>>*mount points* instead.  What does "ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
>>/media/bret/Data06" say?
>
> Let alone potential "id -u" or "attributes" issues.
>
> Btw. take a look at explanations of "lsattr" and "umask".
>
> My recommendation is to be even careful with mount points permissions
> and instead to change permissions of directories on those partitions.
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>


--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Bret Busby-2
On 18/03/2018, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18/03/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800,
>
>
> Bret Busby did not reply to Colin
>> Watson's question:
>
> WRONG!!
>
> READ THE OUTPUT THAT I POSTED!
>
>>>I suspect what you wanted to do was to modify the permissions on the
>>>*mount points* instead.  What does "ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
>>>/media/bret/Data06" say?
>>
>> Let alone potential "id -u" or "attributes" issues.
>>
>> Btw. take a look at explanations of "lsattr" and "umask".
>>
>> My recommendation is to be even careful with mount points permissions
>> and instead to change permissions of directories on those partitions.
>>

I can not create "directories on those partitions".

"Error creating directory: Permission denied"


--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:50:32 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
>/media/bret/Data06
>drw-rw-rw- 3 root root 4096 Mar 17 18:26 /media/bret/Data05
>drw-rw-rw- 3 root root 4096 Mar 17 19:35 /media/bret/Data06

My /home is on the same partition as /, but it anyway should give you a
pointer into the right direction ;).

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAld /home/
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4.0K Jan 13 11:54 /home/
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAld /home/rocketmouse/
drwxr-x--- 136 rocketmouse rocketmouse 12K Mar 17
17:02 /home/rocketmouse/

The missing write access much likely is caused by a pitfall, the
missing execution access permission of the directory.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On 17 March 2018 at 16:18, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18/03/2018, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 18/03/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800,
>>
>>
>> Bret Busby did not reply to Colin
>>> Watson's question:
>>
>> WRONG!!
>>
>> READ THE OUTPUT THAT I POSTED!
>>
>>>>I suspect what you wanted to do was to modify the permissions on the
>>>>*mount points* instead.  What does "ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
>>>>/media/bret/Data06" say?
>>>
>>> Let alone potential "id -u" or "attributes" issues.
>>>
>>> Btw. take a look at explanations of "lsattr" and "umask".
>>>
>>> My recommendation is to be even careful with mount points permissions
>>> and instead to change permissions of directories on those partitions.
>>>
>
> I can not create "directories on those partitions".
>
> "Error creating directory: Permission denied"

sudo mkdir /media/bret/Data06/some_dir_name

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:22:31 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:50:32 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:  
>>bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE:~$ ls -ld /media/bret/Data05
>>/media/bret/Data06
>>drw-rw-rw- 3 root root 4096 Mar 17 18:26 /media/bret/Data05
>>drw-rw-rw- 3 root root 4096 Mar 17 19:35 /media/bret/Data06    
>
>My /home is on the same partition as /, but it anyway should give you a
>pointer into the right direction ;).
>
>[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAld /home/
>drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4.0K Jan 13 11:54 /home/
>[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAld /home/rocketmouse/
>drwxr-x--- 136 rocketmouse rocketmouse 12K Mar 17
>17:02 /home/rocketmouse/
>
>The missing write access much likely is caused by a pitfall, the
>missing execution access permission of the directory.  

PS: Keep in mind a directory can't be executable, just a file could be
executable, IOW the x bit on a folder refers to "indexing".


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Volker Wysk
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 23:39:47 CET schrieb Bret Busby:

> On 17/03/2018, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 21:34:16 CET schrieb Bret Busby:
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I shrank the boot partitions of teo installed operating systems, and,
> >> for each thence created unallocated space, I created a new sext4
> >> partition, to which, I assigned the respective labels Data05 and
> >> Data06.
> >>
> >> I then, from within my UbuntuMATE 16.04 installation, ran sudo chmod
> >> 777 on each new partition, so as to enable read+write access to the
> >> two partitions.
> >>
> >> But, I can not write to the two partitions.
> >
> > Might they be mounted read-only? What is in your /etc/fstab?
> >
>
> None of the Dataxx partitions are displayed in running
> cat /etc/fstab as me (user) - the Dataxx partitions are mounted by
> selecting them using the Places -> Removable media facility.
>
> Data01 to Data04 are readable and writable, being mounted this way.

Try "mount | egrep Data". This tells you the mount options of the mounted partitions, on the right side of the line. This should start with "(rw,..." or "(ro,...".


> > Have you done a reboot after you changed your partitions? (Just guessing)
> >
>
> I do not remember whether I had rebooted after running the chmod
> commands on the two partitions, but, as the system crashed/froze while
> I was trying to reload firefox before rebooting (to try to avoid
> losing the last session, as mozilla abolished the Save session
> functionality), I have now rebooted, after running the chmod 660
> command as advised on both partitions, and they are sill not writable.

I meant, after you changed your partition table(s).

Bye
V.W.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ian Bruntlett
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-2
Ralf,

PMFJI...

On 17 March 2018 at 16:32, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:>
>The missing write access much likely is caused by a pitfall, the
>missing execution access permission of the directory.

PS: Keep in mind a directory can't be executable, just a file could be
executable, IOW the x bit on a folder refers to "indexing".
I didn't quite follow that explanation so I figured others might have problems, too.

Here is more detail, for those who want it:-
https://askubuntu.com/questions/862289/difference-between-executable-directory-vs-executable-files

BW,


Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Volker Wysk
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:09:49 +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:

>Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 23:39:47 CET schrieb Bret Busby:
>> On 17/03/2018, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:  
>> > Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 21:34:16 CET schrieb Bret Busby:  
>> >> Hello.
>> >>
>> >> I shrank the boot partitions of teo installed operating systems,
>> >> and, for each thence created unallocated space, I created a new
>> >> sext4 partition, to which, I assigned the respective labels
>> >> Data05 and Data06.
>> >>
>> >> I then, from within my UbuntuMATE 16.04 installation, ran sudo
>> >> chmod 777 on each new partition, so as to enable read+write
>> >> access to the two partitions.
>> >>
>> >> But, I can not write to the two partitions.  
>> >
>> > Might they be mounted read-only? What is in your /etc/fstab?
>> >  
>>
>> None of the Dataxx partitions are displayed in running
>> cat /etc/fstab as me (user) - the Dataxx partitions are mounted by
>> selecting them using the Places -> Removable media facility.
>>
>> Data01 to Data04 are readable and writable, being mounted this way.  
>
>Try "mount | egrep Data". This tells you the mount options of the
>mounted partitions, on the right side of the line. This should start
>with "(rw,..." or "(ro,...".
>
>
>> > Have you done a reboot after you changed your partitions? (Just
>> > guessing)
>>
>> I do not remember whether I had rebooted after running the chmod
>> commands on the two partitions, but, as the system crashed/froze
>> while I was trying to reload firefox before rebooting (to try to
>> avoid losing the last session, as mozilla abolished the Save session
>> functionality), I have now rebooted, after running the chmod 660
>> command as advised on both partitions, and they are sill not
>> writable.  
>
>I meant, after you changed your partition table(s).

Regarding the actuall culprit/pitfall this is completely irrelevant. No
x bit on a folder, no write access, since indexing fails.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:18:00 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:09:49 +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
>>Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 23:39:47 CET schrieb Bret Busby:  
>>> On 17/03/2018, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:    
>>> > Am Samstag, 17. März 2018, 21:34:16 CET schrieb Bret Busby:    
>>> >> Hello.
>>> >>
>>> >> I shrank the boot partitions of teo installed operating systems,
>>> >> and, for each thence created unallocated space, I created a new
>>> >> sext4 partition, to which, I assigned the respective labels
>>> >> Data05 and Data06.
>>> >>
>>> >> I then, from within my UbuntuMATE 16.04 installation, ran sudo
>>> >> chmod 777 on each new partition, so as to enable read+write
>>> >> access to the two partitions.
>>> >>
>>> >> But, I can not write to the two partitions.    
>>> >
>>> > Might they be mounted read-only? What is in your /etc/fstab?
>>> >    
>>>
>>> None of the Dataxx partitions are displayed in running
>>> cat /etc/fstab as me (user) - the Dataxx partitions are mounted by
>>> selecting them using the Places -> Removable media facility.
>>>
>>> Data01 to Data04 are readable and writable, being mounted this
>>> way.    
>>
>>Try "mount | egrep Data". This tells you the mount options of the
>>mounted partitions, on the right side of the line. This should start
>>with "(rw,..." or "(ro,...".
>>
>>  
>>> > Have you done a reboot after you changed your partitions? (Just
>>> > guessing)  
>>>
>>> I do not remember whether I had rebooted after running the chmod
>>> commands on the two partitions, but, as the system crashed/froze
>>> while I was trying to reload firefox before rebooting (to try to
>>> avoid losing the last session, as mozilla abolished the Save session
>>> functionality), I have now rebooted, after running the chmod 660
>>> command as advised on both partitions, and they are sill not
>>> writable.    
>>
>>I meant, after you changed your partition table(s).  
>
>Regarding the actuall culprit/pitfall this is completely irrelevant. No
>x bit on a folder, no write access, since indexing fails.

PS:

"The execute permission grants the ability to execute a file. This
permission must be set for executable programs, in order to allow the
operating system to run them. When set for a directory, the execute
permission is interpreted as the search permission: it grants the
ability to access file contents and meta-information if its name is
known, but not list files inside the directory, unless read is set also.

The effect of setting the permissions on a directory, rather than a
file, is "one of the most frequently misunderstood file permission
issues".[8]" -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_permissions#Permissions

The [8] is for

"Execute (x)
    The ability to cd into this directory, and access the files in this
directory." - https://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/20030424.html


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Ian Bruntlett
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:14:43 +0000, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
>Ralf,
>
>PMFJI...

No problem, thank you for the heads up :).

>On 17 March 2018 at 16:32, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>
>wrote:>
>
>> >The missing write access much likely is caused by a pitfall, the
>> >missing execution access permission of the directory.
>>
>> PS: Keep in mind a directory can't be executable, just a file could
>> be executable, IOW the x bit on a folder refers to "indexing".
>>
>I didn't quite follow that explanation so I figured others might have
>problems, too.
>
>Here is more detail, for those who want it:-
>https://askubuntu.com/questions/862289/difference-between-executable-directory-vs-executable-files

:)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
To keep a long story short, simply set the x falg:

sudo chmod [...]+x /path/to/mountpoint


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:53:11 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>To keep a long story short, simply set the x falg:
                                              ^^^^
To avoid much more confusion:                 ^^^^ flag

>sudo chmod [...]+x /path/to/mountpoint


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 00:15:16 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

>On 18/03/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800,  
>
>
>Bret Busby did not reply to Colin
>> Watson's question:  
>
>WRONG!!
>
>READ THE OUTPUT THAT I POSTED!


No, I'm right with "On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800, Bret Busby did
not reply to Colin Watson's question", I just didn't receive your other
replies then. However, the issue should be solved now. After I received
your reply to Colin's question I tried to explain what you were missing
and Ian assisted in making my geeky explanation quite understandable.

But hey, for me it takes a while to understand what "Dataxx" is for :p.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 19:18:41 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 00:15:16 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>>On 18/03/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:  
>>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800,    
>>
>>
>>Bret Busby did not reply to Colin  
>>> Watson's question:    
>>
>>WRONG!!
>>
>>READ THE OUTPUT THAT I POSTED!  
>
>
>No, I'm right with "On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800, Bret Busby did
>not reply to Colin Watson's question", I just didn't receive your other
>replies then. However, the issue should be solved now. After I received
>your reply to Colin's question I tried to explain what you were missing
>and Ian assisted in making my geeky explanation quite understandable.
>
>But hey, for me it takes a while to understand what "Dataxx" is for :p.

PS:

Are you aware that capital letters are for shouting?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-2
On 18/03/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To keep a long story short, simply set the x falg:
>
> sudo chmod [...]+x /path/to/mountpoint
>


No - it is not quite that simple.

After the time that I have spent on it tonight (the time here is now
about 0200), I have found and implemented the solution, and tested it,
and it worked.

I believe that I have previously suffered the problem, found the
solution, and, forgotten both the cause and the solution. I am getting
old.

The problem comes from the permissions and the ownership of the partititons.

This computer has had about five operating systems installed; MS Win8,
Debian 6, Debian 7, Ubuntu 14.04, and UbuntuMATE 16.04.

The MSWin8 stuff is unusable.

The Debian 6 installation, I had dealt with, some years ago, and had
forgotten the solution.

The Debian 7 installation is still there; complete-ish, and, active
when invoked, as is the Ubuntu 14.04 installation.

Because a partition can not be resized when it is mounted (or so I
believe), the Ubuntu 14.04  partition was resized using the Debian 7
installation gparted, so, the partition Data05 was created by the
Debian 7 superuser, which thence owned the partitition, and, thence,
had the only authorisation to change its permissions.

Likewise, the Data06 partition was created by the Ubuntu 14.04
installation, in resizing the Debian 7 / partition, and, so, the
partition Data06 was created by the Ubuntu 14.04 superuser, which
thence owned the partitition, and, thence, had the only authorisation
to change its permissions.

So, I went into the Debian 7 installation, and ran chmod 777 on the
Data05 partition from there, and, similarly, went into the Ubuntu
14.04 installation, and, ran chmod 777 on the Data06 partition from
there, and, rebooted into UbuntuMATE 16.04, and, successfully copied
and pasted LiveLongAndProspurr.png to the Data05 partition, and, then
to the Data06 partition.

So, the nature of the problem, from which, the solution arose, is that
the permissions and the ownerships of the two partitions, belonged to
the superusers of the operating systems that created them, from whence
the chmod command was required to be ran, to be effective, to provide
the access to the operations to be run on the two partitions, such as
creating directories, and, reading and writing files.

Like the demented talking meerkat in the television advertisements to
which we are here subjected, repeatedly says; "Simples".

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to write to new partitions

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-2
On 18/03/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 19:18:41 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 00:15:16 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>>>On 18/03/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800,
>>>
>>>
>>>Bret Busby did not reply to Colin
>>>> Watson's question:
>>>
>>>WRONG!!
>>>
>>>READ THE OUTPUT THAT I POSTED!
>>
>>
>>No, I'm right with "On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:39:47 +0800, Bret Busby did
>>not reply to Colin Watson's question", I just didn't receive your other
>>replies then. However, the issue should be solved now. After I received
>>your reply to Colin's question I tried to explain what you were missing
>>and Ian assisted in making my geeky explanation quite understandable.
>>
>>But hey, for me it takes a while to understand what "Dataxx" is for :p.
>
> PS:
>
> Are you aware that capital letters are for shouting?
>

Yes I am, and that is why I did it.

The timestamps of the messages show that I had posted the output 12
minutes before you posted your message claiming that I had not.

That you had emphatically made the point that I had not answered the
question put to me, was provocative, in itself, apart from the claim
being, to put it euphemistically, wrong.

When you wrote your message, twelve minutes after I had posted my
message, unless it took you the twelve minutes to write your message,
you should have had my message, visible.

The frustrations involved in trying to solve a bewildering problem,
are not helped when people make emphatic provocative claims, that are
false, as you did.

If you had more properly made no comment about your perception that I
could not be bothered answering the question put to me, rather than
emphatically making the point that I could not be bothered dealing
with the question, when, in fact, I had responded to the question, the
ill-will would not have been created.

Such action is not conducive to goodwill on problem solving (or
otherwise) mailing lists.

It belongs more in the office where a person goes to buy an argument.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
12