Re: Updated 17.10 RC ISOs now available

ray burke
Valorie Zimmerman 19/10/2017...

I have just recently upgraded K12.04 lts to K14.04 lts, and all is
running fine after some teething
problems, as able to use both a dongle stick and dial-up.
What I would like to know is can I  download a k17.10 iso and do some
testing to find if I like
and maybe upgrade to it with a direct upgrade, and how big is it to
download for an
iso?

Ray

On 10/19/17, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello folks -- please try some testing. If you already have the .1
> version you have an up-to-date ISO RC image; if not, zsync it.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ZsyncCdImage
>
> Please report all the bugs you find and link them to your report on
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/383/builds
>
> Thanks!
>
> Valorie
>
> PS: i386 users -- please, please, please test! -v
>
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 5:09 AM, Rik Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Following on from yesterday's 1st spin of the 17.10 RC images by the
>> ubuntu release team, today the RC images (marked Artful Final on the QA
>> tracker) have been re-spun and updated.
>>
>> Please update your ISOs if you downloaded previous images, and test as
>> before.
>>
>> Please help us by testing as much as you have time for. Remember, in
>> particular we need i386 testers, on "bare metal" rather than VMs if
>> possible.
>>
>> Builds are available from:
>>
>> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/383/builds
>>
>> the CD image to left of the ISO names being a link to take you to
>> download urls/options.
>>
>> Please spread that on whatever social media you use.
>>
>> Take note of the Ubuntu Community ISO testing party on Monday:
>>
>> https://community.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-17-10-community-iso-testing/458
>>
>> Please attend and participate if you are able. The #ubuntu-on-air IRC
>> channel on irc.freenode.net  can be joined via a web client found
>> beneath the live stream on ubuntuonair.com, or of course you can join in
>> a normal IRC client.
>>
>> Happy testing,
>>
>> Rik Mills
>>
>> Kubuntu Developer
>> Kubuntu Release team
>>
>> --

> http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Updated 17.10 RC ISOs now available

ray burke
Valorie Zimmerman,

what does that mean should one be ready for i386 in 12 hours and wait  till
I ger advised?

ray

On 10/19/17, Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At this point, we are at  4 of 6 for amd64, and 3 of 6 for i386. Now a
> new testcase has been added for upgrades from a previous version for
> all flavors including us.
>
> Please test SOON -- release is in perhaps 12 or so hours away. More
> test coverage is important to give the Release team the confidence to
> mark the images as Ready.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Valorie Zimmerman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello folks -- please try some testing. If you already have the .1
>> version you have an up-to-date ISO RC image; if not, zsync it.
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ZsyncCdImage
>>
>> Please report all the bugs you find and link them to your report on
>> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/383/builds
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Valorie
>>
>> PS: i386 users -- please, please, please test! -v
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 5:09 AM, Rik Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Following on from yesterday's 1st spin of the 17.10 RC images by the
>>> ubuntu release team, today the RC images (marked Artful Final on the QA
>>> tracker) have been re-spun and updated.
>>>
>>> Please update your ISOs if you downloaded previous images, and test as
>>> before.
>>>
>>> Please help us by testing as much as you have time for. Remember, in
>>> particular we need i386 testers, on "bare metal" rather than VMs if
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> Builds are available from:
>>>
>>> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/383/builds
>>>
>>> the CD image to left of the ISO names being a link to take you to
>>> download urls/options.
>>>
>>> Please spread that on whatever social media you use.
>>>
>>> Take note of the Ubuntu Community ISO testing party on Monday:
>>>
>>> https://community.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-17-10-community-iso-testing/458
>>>
>>> Please attend and participate if you are able. The #ubuntu-on-air IRC
>>> channel on irc.freenode.net  can be joined via a web client found
>>> beneath the live stream on ubuntuonair.com, or of course you can join in
>>> a normal IRC client.
>>>
>>> Happy testing,
>>>
>>> Rik Mills
>>>
>>> Kubuntu Developer
>>> Kubuntu Release team
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> --
>> http://about.me/valoriez
>

> --
> http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Updated 17.10 RC ISOs now available

Nils Kassube-2
ray burke wrote:
> I have just recently upgraded K12.04 lts to K14.04 lts, and all is
> running fine after some teething
> problems, as able to use both a dongle stick and dial-up.
> What I would like to know is can I  download a k17.10 iso and do some
> testing to find if I like
> and maybe upgrade to it with a direct upgrade, and how big is it to
> download for an
> iso?

You can't upgrade directly from 14.04 LTS to 17.10. The steps would be
14.04 LTS -> 16.04 LTS -> 16.10 (*) -> 17.04 (*) -> 17.10. (*) These
steps would be a bit tricky because the standard repos are no longer
available and you have to adapt /etc/apt/sources.list. So IMHO for you
the only useful way to get to 17.10 would be a new installation. Of
course you could test this use case - the download of the iso image is
1.6 GB (64-bit) or 1.7 GB (32-bit). IIRC you wrote some time ago that
16.04 LTS wouldn't work with your dongle stick. So you should first try
the live system and find out if 17.10 works with your hardware before
you really do a new installation.

OTOH please remember that 17.10 will only have 9 months support, so you
shouldn't miss the next upgrade to 18.04 LTS next spring. If you don't
want to do the next upgrade so soon or if you want to avoid a new
installation, you may rather wait for 18.04 LTS because then the
possible upgrade path will be 14.04 LTS -> 16.04 LTS -> 18.04 LTS.

Nils

Re: Updated 17.10 RC ISOs now available

ray burke
Nils 20/10/2017 in  win7 on dongle...

 thanks for that,  where  do I find the download, and also cause I have just upgraded
to 14.04 which I now like, I  might keep for a while as seems to be very complicated?

Ray
PS what about the last question that I asked you?

ray burke wrote:
>  thanks for that,  where  do I find the download, and also cause I
> have just upgraded
> to 14.04 which I now like, I  might keep for a while as seems to be
> very complicated?

You can find the download for 17.10 here:
<http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/17.10/release/>

> PS what about the last question that I asked you?

Sorry, I don't know which question you mean - i must have missed that
one.

Nils

Re: Updated 17.10 RC ISOs now available

ray burke
Nils,

sorry for that you did answer about changing from manual install to auto, but, it fixed itself
when I went offline and closed down and rebooted, so all up to date . the other thing was removal
of  the none needed linux-pae thru Ubuntu-tweak, as sent a question to Ubuntu-tweak/Kubuntu forum with no
answers?

Ray