Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

Derek Broughton-2
media player [ Kaffeine ]
disc-burner [ k3b ]
PIM [ kontact ]
finance [ kMyMoney ]

> John L Fjellstad <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> It's interesting to read this of software.  Not only do we have great
>> choices, they are all very usuably, IMO. I don't really like to fight my
>> computer, so I really like it when I can just drag my FLAC files from
>> amaroK into my iPod, or download the images from my camera into my image
>> manager in digiKam.  It's just works.

I'm particularly intrigued by how many users have chosen k3b when one of the
lists included is particularly biased to gnome (and a number of the k3b
users have chosen a significant number of gnome apps elsewhere).

I'd pick AmaroK as the audio player if I could just get it to reliably work.
I can't begin to figure out why _some_ files in a directory get added to my
collection, and others in the same format don't.  It looks great, promises
much, and it frustrates me every time I use it. :-(
--
derek

Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

Kush Singh
audio player [ n/a ]
cd-ripper [ n/a ]
disc-burner [ nerolinux ]
e-mail client [ Thunderbird ]
file manager [ Nautilus ]
image editor [ gimp ]
image viewer [ gthumb ]
package manager [ synaptic ]
terminal-emulator [ gnome-terminal ]
text-editor [ gedit/openoffice oowriter ]
video-player [ VLC/Totem-Xine ]
web-browser [ Firefox ]
IRC Client [ n/a ]
IM [ n/a ]

Chris Peterman wrote:

>audio player [ Beep Media Player ]
>cd-ripper [ n/a ]
>disc-burner [ k3b ]
>e-mail client [ Evolution ]
>file manager [ Rox/Terminal ]
>image editor [ gimp ]
>image viewer [ f-spot ]
>package manager [ apt-get ]
>terminal-emulator [ gnome-terminal ]
>text-editor [ emacs ]
>video-player [ VLC/Totem-Xine ]
>web-browser [ Epiphany ]
>IRC Client [ XChat ]
>IM [ GAIM ]
>
>~ Chris
>
>On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 06:32 -0800, John L Fjellstad wrote:
>

>>John L Fjellstad <[hidden email]> writes:
>>

>>>   audio player [ amaroK ]
>>>   cd-ripper [ abcde ]
>>>   disc burner [ k3b ]
>>>   e-mail client [ mutt ]
>>>   file manager [ xterm ]
>>>   image editor [ gimp ]
>>>   image viewer [ kview ]
>>>   package manager [ aptitude ]
>>>   tag editor [ id3v2 ]
>>>   terminal emulator [ Konsole ]
>>>   text editor [ emacs ]
>>>   video player [ mplayer ]
>>>   web browser [ mozilla-firefox ]
>>>

>>Forgot to mention,
>>image manager [ digiKam ]
>>
>>It's interesting to read this of software.  Not only do we have great
>>choices, they are all very usuably, IMO. I don't really like to fight my
>>computer, so I really like it when I can just drag my FLAC files from
>>amaroK into my iPod, or download the images from my camera into my image
>>manager in digiKam.  It's just works.
>>
>>--
>>John L. Fjellstad
>>web: http://www.fjellstad.org/          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

John L Fjellstad
Derek Broughton <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'd pick AmaroK as the audio player if I could just get it to reliably work.
> I can't begin to figure out why _some_ files in a directory get added to my
> collection, and others in the same format don't.  It looks great, promises
> much, and it frustrates me every time I use it. :-(

Might be a corrupted db.  Try rescanning your collection

John L Fjellstad wrote:

> Derek Broughton <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I'd pick AmaroK as the audio player if I could just get it to reliably
>> work. I can't begin to figure out why _some_ files in a directory get
>> added to my
>> collection, and others in the same format don't.  It looks great,
>> promises much, and it frustrates me every time I use it. :-(
>
> Might be a corrupted db.  Try rescanning your collection

I pretty much think it _must_ be a corrupted DB, but rescanning has no
effect.  I really have to take the time to figure out how to put the DB
into MySQL, because I really do like Amarok, otherwise (though it should
really let me add .wav files to the collection).
--
derek

Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

John L Fjellstad
Derek Broughton <[hidden email]> writes:

> I pretty much think it _must_ be a corrupted DB, but rescanning has no
> effect.  I really have to take the time to figure out how to put the DB
> into MySQL, because I really do like Amarok, otherwise (though it should
> really let me add .wav files to the collection).

Well, the db is in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok, and the file is
collection.db.  Maybe just deleting this will help?  I think I had
similar problems back before Sarge went stable, and I think I just
deleted the amarok directory.  I don't remember for
1.2.3 (Sarge version), but amaroK for Sid (v 1.3.5) has an option to put
stuff in a MySQL db.

John L Fjellstad wrote:

> Derek Broughton <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I pretty much think it _must_ be a corrupted DB, but rescanning has no
>> effect.  I really have to take the time to figure out how to put the DB
>> into MySQL, because I really do like Amarok, otherwise (though it should
>> really let me add .wav files to the collection).
>
> Well, the db is in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok, and the file is
> collection.db.  Maybe just deleting this will help?  I think I had
> similar problems back before Sarge went stable, and I think I just
> deleted the amarok directory.  I don't remember for
> 1.2.3 (Sarge version), but amaroK for Sid (v 1.3.5) has an option to put
> stuff in a MySQL db.

The current Ubuntu version supports MySQL, too, so I was planning to set
that up, but just haven't got around to it yet.  But maybe I'll start by
just deleting that collection.db and see what happens.  Thanks.
--
derek

Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

bp1222
3D animation [ blender ]
 audio editor [ audacity ]
 audio player [ xmms2 ]
 cd-ripper [ sound-juicer ]
 dbms [ oracle ]
 document viewer [ OOo ]
 disc burner [ graveman ]
 e-mail client [ evolution ]
 file manager [ p-desk ]
 finance [ gnucash ]
 image editor [ gimp ]
 image viewer [ gthumb ]
 mathematics [ none ]
 misc utilities [ screen, screen, screen, route, netstat, sudo, top,
uptime ]
 package manager [ pkg_add ]
 terminal emulator [ gnome-terminal ]
 text editor [ vim ]
 (unreleased) [ GNU HURD ]

Derek Broughton wrote:

> John L Fjellstad wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> I pretty much think it _must_ be a corrupted DB, but rescanning has no
>>> effect.  I really have to take the time to figure out how to put the DB
>>> into MySQL, because I really do like Amarok, otherwise (though it should
>>> really let me add .wav files to the collection).
>>
>> Well, the db is in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok, and the file is
>> collection.db.  Maybe just deleting this will help?  I think I had
>> similar problems back before Sarge went stable, and I think I just
>> deleted the amarok directory.  I don't remember for
>> 1.2.3 (Sarge version), but amaroK for Sid (v 1.3.5) has an option to put
>> stuff in a MySQL db.
>>
> The current Ubuntu version supports MySQL, too, so I was planning to set
> that up, but just haven't got around to it yet.  But maybe I'll start by
> just deleting that collection.db and see what happens.  Thanks.

I deleted the connection.db and rescanned a number of times, and that didn't
work.  I changed the database to MySQL and that _half_ worked.  So finally
I broke down and read the Wiki documentation at:
  http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/MySQL_HowTo
and set up the MySQL database exactly as specified and it's now working
properly.  It appears that Amarok will create the database if it doesn't
already exist, but seems to fail to grant some rights or create some table.

Anyway, Amarok is now my favorite audio player :-)
--
derek