Re-distribuite Ubuntu

Rodrigo Ortiz
Hi, I from Chile, I have Ubuntu version 5.04 and 5.10. With intention of redistribute them I publish an advertisement in MercadoLibre similar to Ebay, in this advertisement I demand 4 dollars (2.000 pesos chilenos) for delivery to others Ubuntu. Constantly others questioning me in form agressive that is no manner to offer Ubuntu.

The cost of the advertisement is 1 dollar and minimun the mail for a CD is 3 dollars.

This cost is pay for the "client" because the mail and advertaisement is not free.

I need to know if this for is correct or incorrect because there many people take in his name Ubuntu and software libre.

--
Rodrigo E. Ortiz G.

Re: Re-distribuite Ubuntu

Mauricio Hernandez Z.
Hola Rodrigo,

I respond at the end of your email...

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 18:47 -0300, Rodrigo Ortiz wrote:

> Hi, I from Chile, I have Ubuntu version 5.04 and 5.10. With intention
> of redistribute them I publish an advertisement in MercadoLibre
> similar to Ebay, in this advertisement I demand 4 dollars (2.000 pesos
> chilenos) for delivery to others Ubuntu. Constantly others questioning
> me in form agressive that is no manner to offer Ubuntu.
>
> The cost of the advertisement is 1 dollar and minimun the mail for a
> CD is 3 dollars.
>
> This cost is pay for the "client" because the mail and advertaisement
> is not free.
>
> I need to know if this for is correct or incorrect because there many
> people take in his name Ubuntu and software libre.
Are the CD's you are selling, the same CD's Canonical provided to you?

If you are selling those CD's then you are doing something absolutely
WRONG (illegal maybe?).

If you are producing your own CD's (burn, print, etc) and selling them,
no problem, it is ok and you can charge whatever you think it is fair.

--
Cordialmente,

Mauricio Hernandez Z.
(56+8)7496071
(56+2)3129513

www.ubuntu-cl.org
www.edubuntu.org
irc.freenode.net | #edubuntu #edubuntu-es

www.tecnocimiento.cl/EdubuntuChile

[I dream of things that never were and say 'Why Not?']

ID #287183
http://counter.li.org

/!\ Mail escrito sin caracteres especiales para evitar
conflictos de lectura con otros lectores de correos.

Re: Re-distribuite Ubuntu

Niels Kjøller Hansen
man, 27 02 2006 kl. 19:11 -0300, skrev Mauricio Hernandez Z.:

> Hola Rodrigo,
>
> I respond at the end of your email...
>
> On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 18:47 -0300, Rodrigo Ortiz wrote:
> > Hi, I from Chile, I have Ubuntu version 5.04 and 5.10. With intention
> > of redistribute them I publish an advertisement in MercadoLibre
> > similar to Ebay, in this advertisement I demand 4 dollars (2.000 pesos
> > chilenos) for delivery to others Ubuntu. Constantly others questioning
> > me in form agressive that is no manner to offer Ubuntu.
> >
> > The cost of the advertisement is 1 dollar and minimun the mail for a
> > CD is 3 dollars.
> >
> > This cost is pay for the "client" because the mail and advertaisement
> > is not free.
> >
> > I need to know if this for is correct or incorrect because there many
> > people take in his name Ubuntu and software libre.
>
> Are the CD's you are selling, the same CD's Canonical provided to you?
>
> If you are selling those CD's then you are doing something absolutely
> WRONG (illegal maybe?).

I am quite shure that it is not illegal, and I personally do not think
that it is wrong. There is clearly little or no profit in this, and the
recipient gets it quicker than ShipIt, and Ubuntu is seen by the public
(the users of the auction-thingy, anyways).

I have done something similar. I too, had a feeling that I was doing
something 'wrong', so I clearly stated, that the excactly same CDs were
available from ShipIt at no charge, although with quite a long waiting
period.

Because of a miscalculation, I made 3 DKK (0.45 USD) of profit. I am
saving these for a future LocoTeam meeting. Hey - I could buy a cheap
beer and pass it around!

Niels

Re: Re-distribuite Ubuntu

Mário Meyer
I wouldn't sell those at all.. what i do is ship to be paid on
receive... i send the CDs trough mail and pay for it.. when the other
person receives it, he/she has to pay to the postal services and I get
refunded... absolutely NO money gets to me for doing that.. i just get
refunded for the shipping that i payed in advance..

Mario Meyer

2006/2/27, Niels Kjøller Hansen <[hidden email]>:

> man, 27 02 2006 kl. 19:11 -0300, skrev Mauricio Hernandez Z.:
> > Hola Rodrigo,
> >
> > I respond at the end of your email...
> >
> > On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 18:47 -0300, Rodrigo Ortiz wrote:
> > > Hi, I from Chile, I have Ubuntu version 5.04 and 5.10. With intention
> > > of redistribute them I publish an advertisement in MercadoLibre
> > > similar to Ebay, in this advertisement I demand 4 dollars (2.000 pesos
> > > chilenos) for delivery to others Ubuntu. Constantly others questioning
> > > me in form agressive that is no manner to offer Ubuntu.
> > >
> > > The cost of the advertisement is 1 dollar and minimun the mail for a
> > > CD is 3 dollars.
> > >
> > > This cost is pay for the "client" because the mail and advertaisement
> > > is not free.
> > >
> > > I need to know if this for is correct or incorrect because there many
> > > people take in his name Ubuntu and software libre.
> >
> > Are the CD's you are selling, the same CD's Canonical provided to you?
> >
> > If you are selling those CD's then you are doing something absolutely
> > WRONG (illegal maybe?).
>
> I am quite shure that it is not illegal, and I personally do not think
> that it is wrong. There is clearly little or no profit in this, and the
> recipient gets it quicker than ShipIt, and Ubuntu is seen by the public
> (the users of the auction-thingy, anyways).
>
> I have done something similar. I too, had a feeling that I was doing
> something 'wrong', so I clearly stated, that the excactly same CDs were
> available from ShipIt at no charge, although with quite a long waiting
> period.
>
> Because of a miscalculation, I made 3 DKK (0.45 USD) of profit. I am
> saving these for a future LocoTeam meeting. Hey - I could buy a cheap
> beer and pass it around!
>
> Niels

Re: Re-distribuite Ubuntu

Jerome Gotangco
On 2/28/06, Mauricio Hernandez Z. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you are selling those CD's then you are doing something absolutely
> WRONG (illegal maybe?).

This is not illegal as some people might be willing to pay to get the
CDs immediately rather than wait for ShipIt.

--
Jerome Gotangco
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: Re-distribuite Ubuntu

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On di, 2006-02-28 at 08:06 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> On 2/28/06, Mauricio Hernandez Z. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If you are selling those CD's then you are doing something absolutely
> > WRONG (illegal maybe?).
>
> This is not illegal as some people might be willing to pay to get the
> CDs immediately rather than wait for ShipIt.

I do the same here in Holland, people are pointed to both shipit and
"Ubuntu-NL shipit", I charge only mail costs and quite a few people
prefer that over waiting.
--
Dennis K.
 - Linux for human beings - http://www.ubuntu.com

Re: Re-distribuite Ubuntu

Baishampayan Ghose-2
Rodrigo,
> > The cost of the advertisement is 1 dollar and minimun the mail for a
> > CD is 3 dollars.
> If you are selling those CD's then you are doing something absolutely
> WRONG (illegal maybe?).
Make no mistakes, this is absolutely _not_ a wrong thing to do. Just
mention that the same CDs are available for free via ShipIt and you
are just charging  for the cost of the advertisement and the shipping.
Free Software is not about price, it's about Freedom. It's just fine
as long as you provide the user the same Freedom that Ubuntu provides.
Regards,
BG

--
Baishampayan Ghose