Re-inclusion of systemtap-sdt-dev in main

Re-inclusion of systemtap-sdt-dev in main

Trent Lloyd-3
Hi Team,

I am looking to add support for user-space probes (SDT) to Python (and potentially other applications - node, perl, etc have all grown support for this) so that we can use both Perf and BPF tools to trace and profile interpreted languages (Ref LP #1818778) at runtime.

This requires a Build-Dependency on systemtap-sdt-dev. This previously had a MIR request approved and was in main in trusty, however it seems the package it was required for (ust) was moved back to universe before xenial and so both ust and systemtap-sdt-dev reverted to universe for xenial.

Previous MIR:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemtap/+bug/1203590

Can someone confirm for me if I need to file a new MIR for systemtap or if it would still be considered under the previous approval but just has no dependency to pull it in?

Regards,
Trent

Re: Re-inclusion of systemtap-sdt-dev in main

Steve Langasek-6
Hi Trent,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 01:48:59PM +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> I am looking to add support for user-space probes (SDT) to Python (and
> potentially other applications - node, perl, etc have all grown support for
> this) so that we can use both Perf and BPF tools to trace and profile
> interpreted languages (Ref LP #1818778) at runtime.

> This requires a Build-Dependency on systemtap-sdt-dev. This previously had
> a MIR request approved and was in main in trusty, however it seems the
> package it was required for (ust) was moved back to universe before xenial
> and so both ust and systemtap-sdt-dev reverted to universe for xenial.

> Previous MIR:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemtap/+bug/1203590

> Can someone confirm for me if I need to file a new MIR for systemtap or if
> it would still be considered under the previous approval but just has no
> dependency to pull it in?

I have no problem with re-promoting this to main without a separate MIR.
Also, if you're only using systemtap-sdt-dev at build time and this doesn't
result in a runtime dependency, there may not be anything needing MIRed
anyway.  Build-Dependencies no longer have to be in main.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/