Re: kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 188, Issue 4

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 188, Issue 4

Rick Timmis-3
Hi Bill

Thanks for your attention and email. It's clear you're passionate about Kubuntu and this is the comment that I am most interested in

'I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have
loved it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were
dissatisfied with Windows for whatever reason.'

That is precisely what we need all our users to do.

OK I've been looking into how to resolve this problem, and there is a method using kmenuedit and pkexec. I'm still testing it and if all goes well, I will write it up for others. Maybe you can test with me, it would be great to get your experiences

Here are the steps

1.) Kicker Menu type 'kmenuedit' in the search box, and Run Kmenuedit
2.) When it opens choose the Menu you want your Root Dolphin application to be placed,and select the menu
3.) New Item
4.) Give it a name e.g 'Root Dolphin'
5.) In the command type/copy: pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin
6.) Save

Now from the Kicker Menu type 'Root Dolphin'

Voila! A sudo authorisation box should ask you for your password, and once authenticated Dolphin opens and 'You Got Root!'

Hope that helps, and have a great day

Rick

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 at 17:58, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Send kubuntu-users mailing list submissions to
        [hidden email]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [hidden email]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [hidden email]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of kubuntu-users digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: SUDO (Bill Walsh)
   2. Re: SUDO (Cody Smith)
   3. Re: SUDO (Bill Walsh)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 09:27:31 -0500
From: Bill Walsh <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: SUDO
Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"; Format="flowed"

On 10/9/20 10:20 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?
>
>
> Unsure what this question has to do with your main question, really.
>
>     What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with
>     their operating system and has to be babysat.
>
>
> That was not the reasoning at all. Devels wrestled with how to allow
> this safely but could not find a way. However, if you need to make an
> operation that requires sudo powers, a popup gives you a way to
> provide your password.
>
> It's a win-win -- you get to do what you need to do, and in a
> completely safe way.
>
>
>>     Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable
>>     security vulnerabilities.
>
>     I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I
>     don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.
>
>
> Again, the comparison to Windows does not help your point.
>
> Valorie
>
> PS: running *any* gui application with sudo is a terrible idea. Ever.
>
There are times, such as moving a Thunderbird profile from one computer
to a new one so that you have everything on both, that you have to use
Dolphin, or some other bit, as administrator. That is the only way you
can copy the files to a thumb drive. I know the risks I'm taking when I
do something. One of the hallmarks of a Linux operating system has been
the ability to "have it my way" as Burger King says.

The main reason I left Windows about twenty years ago was because of the
constant babysitting. Try to open a program and the popup that asks if I
really want to run that program. Well, if I didn't want to run that
program I wouldn't have clicked on it.

I managed to break my Linux installation many times but I leaned from
each experience. Simple fix, delete partition, new partition, install. I
haven't broken one in about eighteen years now.

If I'm here, running Linux, I must have some idea what I'm doing. If I'm
as stupid as they think I am I would still be running Windows. I don't
need a baby sitter. IF I do something stupid and break it I will take
care of it. It's not their fault. It's mine.

It has come to my attention that another Linux distro has "Run ****** as
Administrator" in the menu. Popup box opens and tells you not to do
anything stupid and it runs.

I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have
loved it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were
dissatisfied with Windows for whatever reason. But if it is going to
devolve into a "Windows Clone" I suppose I will have to look around for
another version of Linux. I don't want to. I would much rather stay with
Kubuntu. I have been very happy with it for a very long time.


P. S.

I am NOT a geek/guru/or whatever. I am a simple computer user. I do NOT
do command line. If I wanted to use command line I would still be
running DOS. I use a Graphical User Interface because that is how I want
to use my computer. Click - Runs  Click- Goes Away  Click - Goes to that
directory   Click - opens that file Not sit here typing gobbledegook on
the keyboard. However, there are times I must go into a terminal and use
something to attain my goal, such as running Dolphin/Kate as administrator.

As I said before, I am aware of the dangers. I use it in Admin mode to
do what I need and get the H  E  Double Hockey Sticks out. Only use it
when I absolutely have to. I am not ignorant or stupid.

--
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo.
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty.
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty.
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty.
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/attachments/20201010/648cb0ee/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 09:32:56 -0700
From: Cody Smith <[hidden email]>
To: Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: SUDO
Message-ID:
        <CAB2RWywKacdw8JAtPVssdkgrntcvH=TGGh=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

The change isn't about babysitting, as Valerie pointed out, it's about
exposing as little of an attack surface to hackers as possible. Despite
what some will tell you, linux is not impervious to software
vulnerabilities.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020, 7:28 AM Bill Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/9/20 10:20 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?
>>
>
> Unsure what this question has to do with your main question, really.
>
> What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their
>> operating system and has to be babysat.
>>
>
> That was not the reasoning at all. Devels wrestled with how to allow this
> safely but could not find a way. However, if you need to make an operation
> that requires sudo powers, a popup gives you a way to provide your
> password.
>
> It's a win-win -- you get to do what you need to do, and in a completely
> safe way.
>
>>
>> Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security
>> vulnerabilities.
>>
>>
>> I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't
>> need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.
>>
>
> Again, the comparison to Windows does not help your point.
>
> Valorie
>
> PS: running *any* gui application with sudo is a terrible idea. Ever.
>
> There are times, such as moving a Thunderbird profile from one computer to
> a new one so that you have everything on both, that you have to use
> Dolphin, or some other bit, as administrator. That is the only way you can
> copy the files to a thumb drive. I know the risks I'm taking when I do
> something. One of the hallmarks of a Linux operating system has been the
> ability to "have it my way" as Burger King says.
>
> The main reason I left Windows about twenty years ago was because of the
> constant babysitting. Try to open a program and the popup that asks if I
> really want to run that program. Well, if I didn't want to run that program
> I wouldn't have clicked on it.
>
> I managed to break my Linux installation many times but I leaned from each
> experience. Simple fix, delete partition, new partition, install. I haven't
> broken one in about eighteen years now.
>
> If I'm here, running Linux, I must have some idea what I'm doing. If I'm
> as stupid as they think I am I would still be running Windows. I don't need
> a baby sitter. IF I do something stupid and break it I will take care of
> it. It's not their fault. It's mine.
>
> It has come to my attention that another Linux distro has "Run ****** as
> Administrator" in the menu. Popup box opens and tells you not to do
> anything stupid and it runs.
>
> I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have loved
> it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were dissatisfied with
> Windows for whatever reason. But if it is going to devolve into a "Windows
> Clone" I suppose I will have to look around for another version of Linux. I
> don't want to. I would much rather stay with Kubuntu. I have been very
> happy with it for a very long time.
>
>
> P. S.
>
> I am NOT a geek/guru/or whatever. I am a simple computer user. I do NOT do
> command line. If I wanted to use command line I would still be running DOS.
> I use a Graphical User Interface because that is how I want to use my
> computer. Click - Runs  Click- Goes Away  Click - Goes to that directory
> Click - opens that file   Not sit here typing gobbledegook on the keyboard.
> However, there are times I must go into a terminal and use something to
> attain my goal, such as running Dolphin/Kate as administrator.
>
> As I said before, I am aware of the dangers. I use it in Admin mode to do
> what I need and get the H  E  Double Hockey Sticks out. Only use it when I
> absolutely have to. I am not ignorant or stupid.
>
> --
> There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo.
> Please use in that order.
>
> The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty.
> The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty.
> The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty.
> The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/attachments/20201010/0b29a457/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 11:58:11 -0500
From: Bill Walsh <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: SUDO
Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed

On 10/10/20 11:32 AM, Cody Smith wrote:
> The change isn't about babysitting, as Valerie pointed out, it's about
> exposing as little of an attack surface to hackers as possible.
> Despite what some will tell you, linux is not impervious to software
> vulnerabilities.
>

I'm well aware of that. Our main protection is the lack of huge user
base. Lower return on investment as it were. Windows has a huge user
base. And, seeing as how most of those machines are run by those that
have no idea helps those with malware on their mind. They need all the
babysitting they can get.

When my mother was living I was the "administrator" of her computer.
She, as the main user, had no admin abilities. I set it up that way. By
doing that malware had no way to autoexecute. It had to have permission
and a password. If the box popped up she was to deny and get away from
whatever.

Linux users are much better educated about operating a systems. I would
hope that by the time someone gets to Linux they need no babysitting.

AND, babysitting is exactly what it is.

--
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo.
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty.
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty.
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty.
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.




------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


------------------------------

End of kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 188, Issue 4
*********************************************


--
Best Wishes

Rick

For additional info, social, blog and contact details drop by my website.

       ricktimmis.com



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 188, Issue 4

Bill Walsh
On 10/10/20 2:02 PM, Rick Timmis wrote:
Hi Bill

Thanks for your attention and email. It's clear you're passionate about Kubuntu and this is the comment that I am most interested in

'I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have
loved it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were
dissatisfied with Windows for whatever reason.'

That is precisely what we need all our users to do.

OK I've been looking into how to resolve this problem, and there is a method using kmenuedit and pkexec. I'm still testing it and if all goes well, I will write it up for others. Maybe you can test with me, it would be great to get your experiences

Here are the steps

1.) Kicker Menu type 'kmenuedit' in the search box, and Run Kmenuedit
2.) When it opens choose the Menu you want your Root Dolphin application to be placed,and select the menu
3.) New Item
4.) Give it a name e.g 'Root Dolphin'
5.) In the command type/copy: pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin
6.) Save

Now from the Kicker Menu type 'Root Dolphin'

Voila! A sudo authorisation box should ask you for your password, and once authenticated Dolphin opens and 'You Got Root!'

Hope that helps, and have a great day

Rick

Worked a trick. Thanks so much. I put it in "System" because that's where the dangerous stuff belongs. :o)

I had found a website that had that command to be run from terminal but I had no idea about kmenuedit.

You are right, I do love Kubuntu. been a big fan for many years. I started out with SuSe about 2000  on advice of several people but somehow it just didn't fit me. Tried a couple others that were good and I did like but when I found Kubuntu it was, kind of like baby bears porridge and bed, just right. Never looked back until this little hiccup.

thak you So much.

-- 
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. 
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty. 
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty. 
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty. 
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users