Re problems with virtualbox

Peter Goggin-2
As installed the software from the repository does not let me create a
new virtualbox. The errors are the same as when opening an existing box.

How can I roll back to a version that works?

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: Re problems with virtualbox

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 14:33:09 +1000, Peter wrote:
>As installed the software from the repository does not let me create a
>new virtualbox. The errors are the same as when opening an existing
>box.

Randomly installing packages usually works less good, than targeted
troubleshooting does.

>How can I roll back to a version that works?

Since nobody knows what random actions you already executed, the best
approach would be to restore your Ubuntu install from the backup of
your Ubuntu install.

Re: Re problems with virtualbox

Peter Goggin-2
The only actions I have taken is to allow the updates from ubuntu
updater. This isntralled two virtual box packages. I could not then open
my existing virtual machine. Trying to create a new virtual machine
using the new software gives the same errors as opening an existing machine.

Regards

Peter Goggin

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 14:57:45 +1000, Peter wrote:
>The only actions I have taken is to allow the updates from ubuntu
>updater. This isntralled two virtual box packages. I could not then
>open my existing virtual machine. Trying to create a new virtual
>machine using the new software gives the same errors as opening an
>existing machine.

This is vague information. Either restore your install from a backup or
start targeted troubleshooting, by running the commands I already
posted. Those commands might or might not help, but we should do one
targeted step after the other.

In addition to the commands of a previous post also run

  apt list '*virtualbox*'

Re: Re problems with virtualbox

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 14:57:45 +1000, Peter wrote:
>The only actions I have taken is to allow the updates from ubuntu
>updater. This isntralled two virtual box packages. I could not then
>open my existing virtual machine. Trying to create a new virtual
>machine using the new software gives the same errors as opening an
>existing machine.

Are the old modules removed and the new modules loaded? I suspect you
never did this manually, so did you reboot?

Re: Re problems with virtualbox

Peter Goggin-2
The system was rebooted after the updates.  Obviously, since I was not
aware a version of virtual box is included in the updates I did not
remove the existing version of virtualbox.  I presume the update
overwrote it.

The version of VirtualBox from ubuntu repository
Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager 5.1.38

The version previously installed was
Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager 4.3.36_ubuntu

Presumably if I reinstall ubuntu from my cd I can use the versions of
virtual box which worked.  If I keep the downloaded Virtual Box i can
alway reinstall if a ubuntu screws it up.

If virtualbox is now going to be included in the ubuntu repository how
can I be sure that it will work and that it can see exiting virtual
machines?

Regards

Peter Goggin

On 04/08/18 15:28, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 14:57:45 +1000, Peter wrote:
>> The only actions I have taken is to allow the updates from ubuntu
>> updater. This isntralled two virtual box packages. I could not then
>> open my existing virtual machine. Trying to create a new virtual
>> machine using the new software gives the same errors as opening an
>> existing machine.
> Are the old modules removed and the new modules loaded? I suspect you
> never did this manually, so did you reboot?

Re: Re problems with virtualbox

Ralf Mardorf-2
Sorry, I only could try to help you, if you would run the recommended
commands and post the output.

Re: Re problems with virtualbox

Ralf Mardorf-2

Don't use a Ctrl+Alt+Fx terminal. I suspect by default gnome-terminal is
installed, so use the menu of your desktop environment and launch a GUI
terminal, which likely is gnome-terminal. Copy and paste of your mailer
"Thunderbird" likely works as usual. Select the command with the mouse
and push Ctrl+Alt+C to copy it. In the gnome-terminal push Shift+Ctrl+V
to paste it, do _not_ push the common Ctrl+Alt+V.

VirtualBox --help | head -1 >/tmp/log.txt 2>&1
uname -r >>/tmp/log.txt 2>&1
dkms status >>/tmp/log.txt 2>&1
dkms status | grep $(uname -r) | grep $(VirtualBox --help | head -1 | cut -d" " -f5) >>/tmp/log.txt 2>&1
apt list '*virtualbox*' >>/tmp/log.txt 2>&1

After running those commands, there should be a file named   log.txt
in the directory   /tmp   .

With an editor open the file, if gedit should be available, then run

gedit /tmp/log.txt

and take a look, if the file's content is something you could post to
the list. It should be human readable and it shouldn't contain bank
account data ;). If everything should be ok, than attach it to your
reply.

https://arcolinux.com/how-to-fix-virtualbox-freezing-up-on-kernel-4-17-2-june-2018/

Re: problems with virtualbox

Peter Goggin-2
I installed 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04 on one machine. This was a clean install
wiping the disk clean. I then installed the latest Oracle Virtual Box
(5.2.16) with th extension pack an user extension. I then ported back my
original virtual box, which I can open, create and save files to the
underlying Ubuntu file system but I cannot see my USB devices ( printers
etc) from within the virtual box. The virtual box has Windows XP as its
operating system.

The original installation of 32 bit Ubuntu and 4.3.46 Virtual box work
correctly and I can print from the virtual box.

Have I missed a step?

On looking at the new 64 bit installation the problem is clearly with
the USB interface. If is sect USB 2.0 the machine will not start and
complains about a possible incompatible version of the extension pack.

I am quite happy to keep on reinstalling until I get it right but should
I continue with 64 bit or revert to 32 bit. Mailing list messages imply
32 bit is being phased out.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Regards

Peter Goggin

On 07/08/18 20:27, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 06:34, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As installed the software from the repository does not let me create a
>> new virtualbox. The errors are the same as when opening an existing box.
> https://arcolinux.com/how-to-fix-virtualbox-freezing-up-on-kernel-4-17-2-june-2018/

Re: problems with virtualbox

Peter McD
Am 10.08.2018 um 11:36 schrieb Peter:

> I installed 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04 on one machine. This was a clean install
> wiping the disk clean. I then installed the latest Oracle Virtual Box
> (5.2.16) with th extension pack an user extension. I then ported back my
> original virtual box, which I can open, create and save files to the
> underlying Ubuntu file system but I cannot see my USB devices ( printers
> etc) from within the virtual box. The virtual box has Windows XP as its
> operating system.
>
> The original installation of 32 bit Ubuntu and 4.3.46 Virtual box work
> correctly and I can print from the virtual box.

(...)

What about cutting it short?

Try exporting the old virtual machines in the old environment and import
them into the new Virtual Box.

I run Oracle Virtual Box 5.2.16 Kubuntu 18.04 without problems, virtual
machines are a 32bit Windows 8.1 and Kubuntu 16.04.

cu
Peter

Re: problems with virtualbox

Peter Hillier-Brook
On 10/08/18 10:36, Peter wrote:

> I installed 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04 on one machine. This was a clean install
> wiping the disk clean. I then installed the latest Oracle Virtual Box
> (5.2.16) with th extension pack an user extension. I then ported back my
> original virtual box, which I can open, create and save files to the
> underlying Ubuntu file system but I cannot see my USB devices ( printers
> etc) from within the virtual box. The virtual box has Windows XP as its
> operating system.
>
> The original installation of 32 bit Ubuntu and 4.3.46 Virtual box work
> correctly and I can print from the virtual box.
>
> Have I missed a step?

Yes. You need your user to be in 'vboxusers'. Run: sudo useradd 'user'
vboxusers and then reboot to make it happen.

<cut>

Re: problems with virtualbox

Peter Goggin-2
What I have done is backe3d uphe working Virtual machine and then
restored it to the Linux file system on the updated machine. The virtual
box works but I cannot access the usb devices. All data is stored in the
linux file system, not the virtual box and all files are accessible in
the restored virtualbox.

How do I export a virtual box?

Regards

Peter Goggin

Am 10.08.2018 um 12:33 schrieb Peter:
> What I have done is backe3d uphe working Virtual machine and then
> restored it to the Linux file system on the updated machine. The virtual
> box works but I cannot access the usb devices. All data is stored in the
> linux file system, not the virtual box and all files are accessible in
> the restored virtualbox.
I have linked the virtual box part to a really big partition.

In case of a fresh Virtual Box installation, I first start Virtual Box
an let it create its stuff in my home directory but take care that the
location of the virtual machines is on the big partiton.

When Virtual Box works, I set a symbolic link to the existing virtual
machines.

If USB doesn't work, check whether VBoxGuestAddition.iso is set
(included in Oracle's version), the location is

/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

> How do I export a virtual box?

You export just the virtual machine, not Virtual Box, very useful if you
want to try out something

Don't do it with Windows. It might demand an new registration.

And if you are at it, why not first set up a basic virtual Ubuntu, just
for finding where Virtual Box sets its stuff.

Presently I have an Xubuntu partly for that purpose.

cu
Peter

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 at 11:38, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any advice gratefully accepted.

Update the vbox extensions.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/661414/how-to-install-extension-pack-for-virtual-box/854041

Re: problems with virtualbox

Peter Goggin-2
I added my user to vboxusers. This solves most of the problems, in the
senc=se that I can see usb de3vices from within virtual box. I will
start testing later today.

Regards

Peter Goggin

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 10:55:53 +1000, Peter wrote:
>I added my user to vboxusers. This solves most of the problems [snip] I
>will start testing later today.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Unlikely the issue is
solved.

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 19:36:18 +1000, Peter wrote:
>I installed 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04 on one machine. This was a clean
>install wiping the disk clean. I then installed the latest Oracle
>Virtual Box (5.2.16) with th extension pack an user extension. I then
>ported back my original virtual box [snip]
>
>On looking at the new 64 bit installation the problem is clearly with
>the USB interface. If is sect USB 2.0 the machine will not start and
>complains about a possible incompatible version of the extension pack.

IIUC you are using the binary from Oracle, not the package from Ubuntu.
How did you "install" the extension pack?

You perhaps downloaded and saved the extension pack, which is not the
same as making it available for usage with your virtualbox machines. By
porting back the settings of your original virtual box, the used
path/file of the extension pack is broken. Btw. how did you port back
your original virtual box?

Go to

File > Preferences... > Extensions

You might use a different path, on my machine the path and the file are

/usr/share/virtualbox/extensions/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.16.vbox-extpack

On 11/08/18 08:43, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 10:55:53 +1000, Peter wrote:
>> I added my user to vboxusers. This solves most of the problems [snip] I
>> will start testing later today.
>
> Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Unlikely the issue is
> solved.

Why is everyone making such a meal of this? You can play with extension
packs until the cows come home, but if you're not in 'vboxusers' you
have no access to USB.

<cut>

Peter HB

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 09:52:28 +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:

>On 11/08/18 08:43, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 10:55:53 +1000, Peter wrote:
>>> I added my user to vboxusers. This solves most of the problems
>>> [snip] I will start testing later today.
>>
>> Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Unlikely the issue
>> is solved.
>
>Why is everyone making such a meal of this? You can play with extension
>packs until the cows come home, but if you're not in 'vboxusers' you
>have no access to USB.

I did not mention anything against adding the user to the appropriate
group. It's already done, so why should I repeat something that
needs not to be done anymore? However, if the correct extensions
aren't available, you can't use USB 2.0, so at least this is needed,
too, to solve the issue.

The link posted by Liam describes what to do, but doesn't explain why a
"ported back" "original virtual box" fails to access the required
extensions, even while it worked before. Actually nobody could know what
"ported back" "original virtual box" does mean. Were all virtual box
settings copied? Were virtual machines copied? Something else?

If you read back the whole thread, you'll notice that it's not easy to
get useful information from the OP, most help is based on guessing.
Instead of following a step by step guide, by copying commands for
troubleshooting, the OP continues to do random actions without
understanding what he does.

So what is wrong with mentioning that the extensions are _needed_
and explaining what likely is the culprit that it stopped working after
porting back settings? It can not work without the extensions.

On Sat, 2018-08-11 at 12:09 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 09:52:28 +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Unlikely the issue
> > > is solved.
> >
> > Why is everyone making such a meal of this? You can play with extension
> > packs until the cows come home, but if you're not in 'vboxusers' you
> > have no access to USB.
>
> I did not mention anything against adding the user to the appropriate
> group. It's already done, so why should I repeat something that
> needs not to be done anymore? However, if the correct extensions
> aren't available, you can't use USB 2.0, so at least this is needed,
> too, to solve the issue.
>
> The link posted by Liam describes what to do, but doesn't explain why a
> "ported back" "original virtual box" fails to access the required
> extensions, even while it worked before. Actually nobody could know what
> "ported back" "original virtual box" does mean. Were all virtual box
> settings copied? Were virtual machines copied? Something else?
>
> If you read back the whole thread, you'll notice that it's not easy to
> get useful information from the OP, most help is based on guessing.
> Instead of following a step by step guide, by copying commands for
> troubleshooting, the OP continues to do random actions without
> understanding what he does.
>
> So what is wrong with mentioning that the extensions are _needed_
> and explaining what likely is the culprit that it stopped working after
> porting back settings? It can not work without the extensions.

PS:

I'm puzzled that it worked before porting back whatsoever, if the OP
wasn't already member of the group 'vboxusers'. With this information in
mind, it makes no sense to recommend adding the user to this particular
group.

The OP never mentioned that he was in this group and then removed
himself from this group.

The only thing we really could recommend is fixing the extension issue,
since he explicitly mentioned:

"If is sect USB 2.0 the machine will not start and complains about a
possible incompatible version of the extension pack."

FWIW the hint from Peter McD to care about the VBoxGuestAddition.iso to
fix the USB issue is not useful at all, even without or wrong additions
the guest shouldn't fail to start.