Read-only access on mp3 player, how to fix?

Read-only access on mp3 player, how to fix?

Anthony Dean
Hello.

I'm having trouble getting a Sandisk Sansa mp3 player (the e240 model)
to work with Ubuntu (Breezy). At first, it let me copy files to and from
it (upon plugging it in via the USB port... it's supposed to work as a
removable USB drive), but then it suddenly wouldn't let me delete or
copy files to or from the player, giving me "read only disk" error
messages. I've tried searching via Google, asking in the #ubuntu IRC
room, *and* following the Ubuntu Guide's manually and automatically
avail.

Specs:
The player's vfat formatted.
The device is named /dev/sda1, consisting of a single partition
under /dev/sda1

Typing "mount" reveals:
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /home type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /media/sandisk type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,user=<myusername>)

(I named my mount folder "media/sandisk", instead of the Ubuntu Guide's
suggested "/media/windows"...)

So, any suggestions? If it doesn't work, I guess I'm stuck taking it
back to the store (and writing off having an mp3 player I guess, which I
really don't want to do). Any help is appreciated... thanks!

Anthony

Re: Read-only access on mp3 player, how to fix?

Senectus .
On 11/21/05, Anthony Dean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm having trouble getting a Sandisk Sansa mp3 player (the e240 model)
> to work with Ubuntu (Breezy). At first, it let me copy files to and from
> it (upon plugging it in via the USB port... it's supposed to work as a
> removable USB drive), but then it suddenly wouldn't let me delete or
> copy files to or from the player, giving me "read only disk" error
> messages. I've tried searching via Google, asking in the #ubuntu IRC
> room, *and* following the Ubuntu Guide's manually and automatically
> avail.
>
> Specs:
> The player's vfat formatted.
> The device is named /dev/sda1, consisting of a single partition
> under /dev/sda1
>
> Typing "mount" reveals:
> /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda2 on /home type ext3 (rw)
> tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> /dev/sda1 on /media/sandisk type vfat
> (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,user=<myusername>)
>
> (I named my mount folder "media/sandisk", instead of the Ubuntu Guide's
> suggested "/media/windows"...)
>

> So, any suggestions? If it doesn't work, I guess I'm stuck taking it
> back to the store (and writing off having an mp3 player I guess, which I
> really don't want to do). Any help is appreciated... thanks!

Any chance you've got the "hold" or "Lock" button switched on? :-)

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
CNet News.com: So that would be the philosophical difference between

Re: Read-only access on mp3 player, how to fix?

David-99
On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 01:22:28AM -0600, Anthony Dean wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm having trouble getting a Sandisk Sansa mp3 player (the e240 model)
> to work with Ubuntu (Breezy). At first, it let me copy files to and from
> it (upon plugging it in via the USB port... it's supposed to work as a
> removable USB drive), but then it suddenly wouldn't let me delete or
> copy files to or from the player, giving me "read only disk" error
> messages. I've tried searching via Google, asking in the #ubuntu IRC
> room, *and* following the Ubuntu Guide's manually and automatically
> avail.
>
> Specs:
> The player's vfat formatted.
> The device is named /dev/sda1, consisting of a single partition
> under /dev/sda1
>
> Typing "mount" reveals:
> /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

Last time I saw this on my system, a hard drive was in the process of
dying. If the system sees lots of errors on a drive, it automatically
remounts the drive ro to prevent further disaster.

If you can't see any other issues, I would suspect drive failure,
especially since you've had success on the same system.

Have you checked your logs? I assume drive failure messages go to syslog
but I might be wrong. When I had my problems, I was getting masses of
error messages on the console, but that machine was not running X.

David.

> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda2 on /home type ext3 (rw)
> tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> /dev/sda1 on /media/sandisk type vfat
> (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,user=<myusername>)
>
> (I named my mount folder "media/sandisk", instead of the Ubuntu Guide's
> suggested "/media/windows"...)
>

> So, any suggestions? If it doesn't work, I guess I'm stuck taking it
> back to the store (and writing off having an mp3 player I guess, which I
> really don't want to do). Any help is appreciated... thanks!
>
> Anthony

David McQuire