Real Ale Train 2020 - date poll

Iain Cuthbertson
Good afternoon everybody,

While I may no longer be a particularly active member of the group, it's nice to catch up with friends made over the years.

With this in mind, why don't we have another beer/cider/wine/soft drink fuelled evening down in Hampshire aboard a magnificante steam train?

I last ran one was back in 2016, which was as popular as previous events.

As I'm lazy, here's the text from that year's date poll email (slightly updated for 2020):

Who likes beer, steam trains, beer, card games, more beer, and a bloody good time?

Yes! It's time to think about the Ubuntu UK RAT for 2020!

As it's such a popular activity, we have to book early to make sure we get the train we want.

While it's still February, the event will be between late August and early October.

To find out the best time for us to book, I've created a quick and easy poll I'd like people to fill in for the dates that you think you can make.

Please go here -> https://doodle.com/poll/ih8maphziqdvrbt5

Doing so does not guarantee that the date(s) selected will be the one we go with. Nor does it secure yourself a place on the train.

Once we have a date agreed, I shall put out another email with more details and a link to buying your ticket for the train.

Thanks for reading :)

Iain

Re: Real Ale Train 2020 - date poll

Alan Lord (News)
Fab idea Iain,

Al

On 04/02/2020 15:50, Iain Cuthbertson wrote:

> Good afternoon everybody,
>
> While I may no longer be a particularly active member of the group, it's
> nice to catch up with friends made over the years.
>
> With this in mind, why don't we have another beer/cider/wine/soft drink
> fuelled evening down in Hampshire aboard a magnificante steam train?
>
> All about the RAT:
> https://www.watercressline.co.uk/product.php/139/real-ale-train-rat
>
> I last ran one was back in 2016, which was as popular as previous events.
>
> As I'm lazy, here's the text from that year's date poll email (slightly
> updated for 2020):
>

> Who likes beer, steam trains, beer, card games, more beer, and a bloody
> good time?
>
> Yes! It's time to think about the Ubuntu UK RAT for 2020!
>
> As it's such a popular activity, we have to book early to make sure we
> get the train we want.
>
> While it's still February, the event will be between late August and
> early October.
>
> To find out the best time for us to book, I've created a quick and easy
> poll I'd like people to fill in for the dates that you think you can make.
>
> Please go here -> https://doodle.com/poll/ih8maphziqdvrbt5
>
> Doing so does not guarantee that the date(s) selected will be the one we
> go with. Nor does it secure yourself a place on the train.
>
> Once we have a date agreed, I shall put out another email with more
> details and a link to buying your ticket for the train.
>
> Thanks for reading :)
>
> Iain

Re: Real Ale Train 2020 - date poll

Iain Cuthbertson
Hi all,

I've left the doodle poll - https://doodle.com/poll/ih8maphziqdvrbt5 - running for a month, and it looks like end of September / early October are most favoured.

With the recent pandemic we're facing, do people still want to get together later this year?

If so, I'll book myself a hotel and keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Iain

On Tue, 2020-02-04 at 15:50 +0000, Iain Cuthbertson wrote:
[...]

I think I'd take a wait and see approach to be honest.

I don't think you'll struggle to find a room nearer the time - or if
worse comes to worse you can crash at mine (or popey's) I guess. Both of
us are _relatively_ local.

Al