Recommendation for a scanner?

Volker Wysk
Hi!

I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.

It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both, a flab-
bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be able to
do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a USB
connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It should
cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.

I've gone through a rather long list of devices, which are offered by a
local computer shop (also is an online shop), but most aren't mentioned in
SANE's devices list at all. One is mentioned, but it doesn't support duplex
operation.

Now, I could do it the other way, go through the list of devices supported
by SANE, but it is really long and most aren't available any longer.

I'm wondering if this list could be shortened by a preselection. Which
manufacturers are supported particularly well? Which are Linux-friendly? Any
other hints? Perhaps someone of you has such a combined scanner at work?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Volker,

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 at 12:51, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
<snip!>
Any tips would be appreciated.

I have an HP LaserJet that also does scanning. My particular printer doesn't meet your criteria but I'd like to put a good word in for HP's HPLIP software that supports printing and scanning on Linux.

HTH,

Ian

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Chris Green
On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 01:49:21PM +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
>
> It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both, a flab-
> bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be able to
> do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a USB
> connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It should
> cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.

My OKI all-in-one printer does all that as well as being a colour laser
printer.  It cost around £160 I think so is well within your budget.

The model is MC342N.

Linux support is excellent, it comes with a pop-up utility that
installs itself in the task bar on my xubuntu system, but you can just
run it as well if you want.

--
Chris Green

Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 13:28 +0000 schrieb Chris Green:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 01:49:21PM +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> >
> > It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both, a flab-
> > bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be able to
> > do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a USB
> > connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It should
> > cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.
> >
> My OKI all-in-one printer does all that as well as being a colour laser
> printer.  It cost around £160 I think so is well within your budget.
>
> The model is MC342N.
>
> Linux support is excellent, it comes with a pop-up utility that
> installs itself in the task bar on my xubuntu system, but you can just
> run it as well if you want.
That's funny. Your model isn't mentioned in the SANE devices page (
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html). Acutually, there is only one
Oki device mentioned (in the stable as well as the development version of
SANE).

How have you gotten it to work? Has it been recognized automatically,
perhaps as some different device?

Bye,

Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 13:26 +0000 schrieb Ian Bruntlett:

> Hi Volker,
>
> On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 at 12:51, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> <snip!>
> > Any tips would be appreciated.
>
> I have an HP LaserJet that also does scanning. My particular printer
> doesn't meet your criteria but I'd like to put a good word in for HP's
> HPLIP software that supports printing and scanning on Linux.
I'm going through the list of SANE-supported HP devices now. Alas, not every
entry tells whether it has an ADF. And many (most?) aren't available today,
even on Ebay.

Thanks for the hint!

Cheers,
Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Gene Heskett-2
On Saturday 12 December 2020 08:28:04 Chris Green wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 01:49:21PM +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> >
> > It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both,
> > a flab- bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It
> > must/shall be able to do duplex, and it must support colors. In
> > addition, it should have a USB connection, and (most of all) it
> > needs to be supported by Linux. It should cost less than 400 €. And
> > it may be second-hand.
>
> My OKI all-in-one printer does all that as well as being a colour
> laser printer.  It cost around £160 I think so is well within your
> budget.
>
> The model is MC342N.
>
> Linux support is excellent, it comes with a pop-up utility that
> installs itself in the task bar on my xubuntu system, but you can just
> run it as well if you want.

And if your need is for a larger format but 99.9% of your use is letter
or A4 stuff, I'll recommend the Brother MFC's. I have an MFC-J69020-DW,
now several years old. And its a big monster ink jet. Running the
drivers downloadable from brother's support site, the integration to
cups and xsane for all functions is best described as Just Works.

It scans up to tabloid thru the ADF. Can do duplex except for tabloid.
but printing tabloid needs a rear feed which is hard to align properly.
But I do use that occasionally for rockhopper output, which is a logic
tracer intended to show the signal flow thru the .hal file(s) of a
LinuxCNC driven metal carving machine. 2 paper trays, I keep one full of
photo paper, the other full of decent quality copy paper. It has an ipv4
interface and usb, but the ipv4 is noticeably slower, so I just "share"
it, and can drive it from any of this or the other 4 machines on my home
network.  Part of the ipv4 slow is the tcp driver, it sends the wrong
checksum the first 6 times it sends a wakeup to the printer, but sends
the correct crc the 7th time.

> Chris Green

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 02:39:56PM +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 13:28 +0000 schrieb Chris Green:
> > On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 01:49:21PM +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> > >
> > > It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both, a flab-
> > > bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be able to
> > > do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a USB
> > > connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It should
> > > cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.
> > >
> > My OKI all-in-one printer does all that as well as being a colour laser
> > printer.  It cost around £160 I think so is well within your budget.
> >
> > The model is MC342N.
> >
> > Linux support is excellent, it comes with a pop-up utility that
> > installs itself in the task bar on my xubuntu system, but you can just
> > run it as well if you want.
>
> That's funny. Your model isn't mentioned in the SANE devices page (
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html). Acutually, there is only one
> Oki device mentioned (in the stable as well as the development version of
> SANE).
>
> How have you gotten it to work? Has it been recognized automatically,
> perhaps as some different device?

The Linux utilities that come with it just work, I was really
impressed by the whole thing not needing any configuration really.

The utilities are written in Python and need an old[ish] library for
the GUI to work.  I had to get an old library back when I upgraded
from xubuntu 19.10 to 20.04, up until then I had done nothing, just
installed their software.

If you decide to get one I can tell you what it is that needs
installing to provide the GUI.

--
Chris Green

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Peter Flynn
On 12/12/2020 12:49, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
>
> It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both,
> a flab- bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It
> must/shall be able to do duplex, and it must support colors. In
> addition, it should have a USB connection, and (most of all) it needs
> to be supported by Linux. It should cost less than 400 €. And it may
> be second-hand.

I have a HP combo (Officejet Pro 7720) which satisfies all the above
EXCEPT the ADF does not do duplexing. My gut feeling is that for a
duplexing ADF you're going to need a lot more than €400 (but I would
love to be wrong).

Peter

Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 09:04 -0500 schrieb Gene Heskett:

> On Saturday 12 December 2020 08:28:04 Chris Green wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 01:49:21PM +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> > >
> > > It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both,
> > > a flab- bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It
> > > must/shall be able to do duplex, and it must support colors. In
> > > addition, it should have a USB connection, and (most of all) it
> > > needs to be supported by Linux. It should cost less than 400 €. And
> > > it may be second-hand.
> >
> > My OKI all-in-one printer does all that as well as being a colour
> > laser printer.  It cost around £160 I think so is well within your
> > budget.
> >
> > The model is MC342N.
> >
> > Linux support is excellent, it comes with a pop-up utility that
> > installs itself in the task bar on my xubuntu system, but you can just
> > run it as well if you want.
>
> And if your need is for a larger format but 99.9% of your use is letter
> or A4 stuff, I'll recommend the Brother MFC's.
The SANE devices list has four Brother MFC's, all listed as unsupported.

> I have an MFC-J69020-DW,
> now several years old. And its a big monster ink jet. Running the
> drivers downloadable from brother's support site, the integration to
> cups and xsane for all functions is best described as Just Works.

So it Just Works with a proprietary driver. I'm not sure if I want that...

> It scans up to tabloid thru the ADF. Can do duplex except for tabloid.
> but printing tabloid needs a rear feed which is hard to align properly.
> But I do use that occasionally for rockhopper output, which is a logic
> tracer intended to show the signal flow thru the .hal file(s) of a
> LinuxCNC driven metal carving machine. 2 paper trays, I keep one full of
> photo paper, the other full of decent quality copy paper. It has an ipv4
> interface and usb, but the ipv4 is noticeably slower, so I just "share"
> it, and can drive it from any of this or the other 4 machines on my home
> network.  Part of the ipv4 slow is the tcp driver, it sends the wrong
> checksum the first 6 times it sends a wakeup to the printer, but sends
> the correct crc the 7th time.
Thanks for the hint. But I think I don't need a big monster ink jet. :-) But
I may have to think that over.

Cheers,
V.W.

Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 14:15 +0000 schrieb Chris Green:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 02:39:56PM +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:

> > > My OKI all-in-one printer does all that as well as being a colour laser
> > > printer.  It cost around £160 I think so is well within your budget.
> > >
> > > The model is MC342N.
> > >
> > > Linux support is excellent, it comes with a pop-up utility that
> > > installs itself in the task bar on my xubuntu system, but you can just
> > > run it as well if you want.
> >
> > That's funny. Your model isn't mentioned in the SANE devices page (
> > http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html). Acutually, there is only one
> > Oki device mentioned (in the stable as well as the development version of
> > SANE).
> >
> > How have you gotten it to work? Has it been recognized automatically,
> > perhaps as some different device?
> >
> The Linux utilities that come with it just work, I was really
> impressed by the whole thing not needing any configuration really.
>
> The utilities are written in Python and need an old[ish] library for
> the GUI to work.  I had to get an old library back when I upgraded
> from xubuntu 19.10 to 20.04, up until then I had done nothing, just
> installed their software.
>
> If you decide to get one I can tell you what it is that needs
> installing to provide the GUI.
Many thanks for the offer. But it seems that the Oki isn't available any
more. I could only find one ebay auction for it. And its end coincides with
me going away on a trip over Christmas.

Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 14:53 +0100 schrieb Volker Wysk:

> Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 13:26 +0000 schrieb Ian Bruntlett:
> > Hi Volker,
> >
> > On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 at 12:51, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> > <snip!>
> > > Any tips would be appreciated.
> >
> > I have an HP LaserJet that also does scanning. My particular printer
> > doesn't meet your criteria but I'd like to put a good word in for HP's
> > HPLIP software that supports printing and scanning on Linux.
>
> I'm going through the list of SANE-supported HP devices now. Alas, not every
> entry tells whether it has an ADF. And many (most?) aren't available today,
> even on Ebay.
I've gone through the HP drivers list, but could not find anything
fitting...

Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

David Fletcher-5
On Sat, 2020-12-12 at 13:49 +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
>
> It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both,
> a flab-
> bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be
> able to
> do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a
> USB
> connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It
> should
> cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.
>
> I've gone through a rather long list of devices, which are offered by
> local computer shop (also is an online shop), but most aren't
> mentioned in
> SANE's devices list at all. One is mentioned, but it doesn't support
> duplex
> operation.

Try taking a look at brother.co.uk There's a selection of scanners, a
lot of mentions of SANE. My GF bought a DCP-L3550CDW laser
printer/scanner a couple of weeks ago, which I plugged into the spare
port on her router and the installer script from the Brother web site
appears to have worked beautifully.

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Robert Heller
At Sat, 12 Dec 2020 16:48:00 +0000 [hidden email], "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2020-12-12 at 13:49 +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> >
> > It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both,
> > a flab-
> > bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be
> > able to
> > do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a
> > USB
> > connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It
> > should
> > cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.
> >
> > I've gone through a rather long list of devices, which are offered by
> > local computer shop (also is an online shop), but most aren't
> > mentioned in
> > SANE's devices list at all. One is mentioned, but it doesn't support
> > duplex
> > operation.
>
> Try taking a look at brother.co.uk There's a selection of scanners, a
> lot of mentions of SANE. My GF bought a DCP-L3550CDW laser
> printer/scanner a couple of weeks ago, which I plugged into the spare
> port on her router and the installer script from the Brother web site
> appears to have worked beautifully.
The only gotchas I had with Brother's MFC drivers is that they are compiled
for 32-bit, so you need to be sure you install libc.i386 in order for them to
acually work.  At least that was the case for the partitular MFC we have at
the library.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu)
On 12.12.20 13:49, Volker Wysk wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.

Check here: http://emea.fujitsu.com/spscannerfaqs/

Thomas

On Sat, 2020-12-12 at 11:59 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> The only gotchas I had with Brother's MFC drivers is that they are
> compiled
> for 32-bit, so you need to be sure you install libc.i386 in order for
> them to
> acually work.  At least that was the case for the partitular MFC we
> have at
> the library.

Yes, that was what had me disappointed when I needed to get my HL3040CN
working again after upgrading my home server to a 64 bit board and
Ubuntu 20.04 server. However.....
Try getting hold of linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1.gz, Brother's
Linux installer script. It looks to be pretty clever, appears to
download source and use gcc to compile it for the local machine for
both printers and scanners then performs all the setting up for CUPS
and SANE. Last time I used it I'm pretty sure I saw it figure out that
gcc wasn't installed so set it up for itself then ran it on the
drivers. You tell it which Brother product you need to install, how
it's connected etc. and it "just works", both CUPS and SANE on my GF's
printer/scanner.

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

MR ZenWiz
On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 4:51 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
>
> It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both, a flab-
> bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be able to
> do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a USB
> connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It should
> cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.

I've had a couple of HP All-in-One's that do almost all of what you
want.  For duplex in the ADF, it's been my experience that the
shortfall here is in the scanning software - neither xsane nor the
Simple Scan that comes with Ubuntu will handle that well.

However, to get duplex scanning, what I do is scan all the sheets one
sided, flip the sheets and scan the other side.  If flipped correctly
(top of the page stays in the same direction, no reshuffling), Simple
Scan can interleave the documents properly with a simple reorder
function and I get a properly duplexed scan.

I recommend HPs for two reasons - one is that HP is at its roots a
printer manufacturer and they do it well, the other is that HP had the
earliest support for Linux that I know of and it's more robust and
extensive than any others I've used.  Canons were the worst, although
they make excellent scanners, and brother has been hit and miss for
me, but I wouldn't give up my Brother laser printer for anything else
- yet.

All this is just MNSHO.  Hope it helps, and take it for what it's worth to you.

Mark Richter, Senior MoTS
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markrichter1
FSF Member #12694 http://www.fsf.org

Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 15:17 +0000 schrieb Peter Flynn:

> On 12/12/2020 12:49, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> >
> > It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both,
> > a flab- bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It
> > must/shall be able to do duplex, and it must support colors. In
> > addition, it should have a USB connection, and (most of all) it needs
> > to be supported by Linux. It should cost less than 400 €. And it may
> > be second-hand.
>
> I have a HP combo (Officejet Pro 7720) which satisfies all the above
> EXCEPT the ADF does not do duplexing. My gut feeling is that for a
> duplexing ADF you're going to need a lot more than €400 (but I would
> love to be wrong).
I've found the "HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 Wide", which actually is available for
purchase. The "Wide" seems to signify that it can print in DIN A3 format,
whereas yours is a DIN A4 (or legal(?)) printer (?).

It's cheap. Only 184 € at Amazon.

It says that Linux is a "compatible system". But it isn't mentioned in the
SANE devices list. So I assume it comes with a proprietary driver?

And your gut feeling appears to be correct.

Thnx,

Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 18:10 +0100 schrieb Thomas Kaiser:
> On 12.12.20 13:49, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> >

> Check here: http://emea.fujitsu.com/spscannerfaqs/

That was a good tip! I've found several candidates, both document scanners
and a flat-bed/document scanner combination. (I may well end up buying
separate flat-bed and document scanners.)

The devices aren't mentioned in the SANE devices list, but the website says
that Fujitsu provides Linux drivers for SANE.

I've not made up my mind completely yet, but it may well be the Fujitsu SP-
1425.

Thanks!

Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Peter Flynn
On 13/12/2020 15:33, Volker Wysk wrote:
[...]
> I've found the "HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 Wide", which actually is available for
> purchase. The "Wide" seems to signify that it can print in DIN A3 format,
> whereas yours is a DIN A4 (or legal(?)) printer (?).

Yes, mine prints A3 as well as A4, but not double-sided: that only works
on A4. And the scanner is SRA4.

> It's cheap. Only 184 € at Amazon.
>
> It says that Linux is a "compatible system". But it isn't mentioned in the
> SANE devices list. So I assume it comes with a proprietary driver?

I installed hplip and it prints fine. XSane works too (this is under
Mint 19) and I don't think I had to do anything to the xsane config, it
just searched for scanners and found it.

Peter

Am Sonntag, den 13.12.2020, 23:25 +0000 schrieb Peter Flynn:
> On 13/12/2020 15:33, Volker Wysk wrote:
> [...]
> > I've found the "HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 Wide", which actually is available for
> > purchase. The "Wide" seems to signify that it can print in DIN A3 format,
> > whereas yours is a DIN A4 (or legal(?)) printer (?).
>
> Yes, mine prints A3 as well as A4, but not double-sided: that only works
> on A4. And the scanner is SRA4.

.. What do you mean with "SRA4"?

> > It's cheap. Only 184 € at Amazon.
> >
> > It says that Linux is a "compatible system". But it isn't mentioned in the
> > SANE devices list. So I assume it comes with a proprietary driver?
>
> I installed hplip and it prints fine. XSane works too (this is under
> Mint 19) and I don't think I had to do anything to the xsane config, it
> just searched for scanners and found it.

What's "hplip"? It doesn't occur (as a backend) in the SANE devices list. Is
it a SANE backend provided by HP?

Bye
Volker