Recommendation for a scanner?

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Volker Wysk
Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 16:48 +0000 schrieb David Fletcher:

> On Sat, 2020-12-12 at 13:49 +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> >
> > It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both,
> > a flab-
> > bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be
> > able to
> > do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a
> > USB
> > connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It
> > should
> > cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.
> >
> > I've gone through a rather long list of devices, which are offered by
> > local computer shop (also is an online shop), but most aren't
> > mentioned in
> > SANE's devices list at all. One is mentioned, but it doesn't support
> > duplex
> > operation.
>
> Try taking a look at brother.co.uk There's a selection of scanners, a
> lot of mentions of SANE. My GF bought a DCP-L3550CDW laser
> printer/scanner a couple of weeks ago, which I plugged into the spare
> port on her router and the installer script from the Brother web site
> appears to have worked beautifully.
Thanks, but they are too expensive.

Bye,
Volker

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 13:36, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What's "hplip"? It doesn't occur (as a backend) in the SANE devices list. Is
> it a SANE backend provided by HP?

Normally, I'd say "just Google it," but 9/10 of Google's services are
down right now, so :shrug:

Hewlett Package Linux Imaging and Printing. It's HP's Linux driver
suite. Regularly updated, supports most mainstream distros, and each
successive version supports all the HP printers/scanners released up
to that point - you don't need any specific version for any particular
device.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Volker,

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 12:36, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
What's "hplip"? It doesn't occur (as a backend) in the SANE devices list. Is
it a SANE backend provided by HP?

I am not an expert. However, I do use HPLIP - it is a collection of software packages for printing and scanning on Linux computers with Hewlett Packard Printers/Scanners.

Here is its webpage:-

There are various HPLIP related in the Ubuntu software repositories...

On my system, I have these packages installed:- hplip, hplip-data, hplip-doc, hplip-gui

HTH,

Ian

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Jared Greenwald
Have you looked at any of the multi-function Brother printer models?  I have a model that's a few years old at this point MFC-J680DW but it works really well with Linux.  I haven't ever connected it to my computer directly via USB, but they provide drivers/scripts that allow you to connect it over your network without much trouble.  It even works with the default Ubuntu Document Scanner application over the network.  I imagine most of their MFC printers are about the same.  I realize you said you were just looking for a scanner with an ADF, but you might be better off looking for a multi-function printer that does the same thing.

The model I have actually hooks directly into most web services (Box, Google Drive, etc.) so you can scan something and it will be directly uploaded.  Also, I recently had to scan something that was really long (longer than any normal document) and I was able to use the ADF + the Document Scanner application and it had no issue getting it done.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 7:45 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 16:48 +0000 schrieb David Fletcher:
> On Sat, 2020-12-12 at 13:49 +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> >
> > It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both,
> > a flab-
> > bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be
> > able to
> > do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a
> > USB
> > connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It
> > should
> > cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.
> >
> > I've gone through a rather long list of devices, which are offered by
> > local computer shop (also is an online shop), but most aren't
> > mentioned in
> > SANE's devices list at all. One is mentioned, but it doesn't support
> > duplex
> > operation.
>
> Try taking a look at brother.co.uk There's a selection of scanners, a
> lot of mentions of SANE. My GF bought a DCP-L3550CDW laser
> printer/scanner a couple of weeks ago, which I plugged into the spare
> port on her router and the installer script from the Brother web site
> appears to have worked beautifully.

Thanks, but they are too expensive.

Bye,
Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Volker Wysk
Hello, Peter!

Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 15:17 +0000 schrieb Peter Flynn:

> On 12/12/2020 12:49, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
> >
> > It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both,
> > a flab- bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It
> > must/shall be able to do duplex, and it must support colors. In
> > addition, it should have a USB connection, and (most of all) it needs
> > to be supported by Linux. It should cost less than 400 €. And it may
> > be second-hand.
>
> I have a HP combo (Officejet Pro 7720) which satisfies all the above
> EXCEPT the ADF does not do duplexing. My gut feeling is that for a
> duplexing ADF you're going to need a lot more than €400 (but I would
> love to be wrong).
I've narrowed down the candidates, and it looks like I'll settle on the
HP Officejet Pro 7720 Wide.

I have one more question. On the web, I found that a related device, the HP
OfficeJet Pro 8610 has some problems. The ink on the printout is likely to
smear, and the ADF is unreliable.

What experience have you made with regard to those two issues? Especially
the ADF, is it reliable?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Volker

Am Montag, den 14.12.2020, 13:41 +0100 schrieb Liam Proven:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 13:36, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > What's "hplip"? It doesn't occur (as a backend) in the SANE devices list. Is
> > it a SANE backend provided by HP?
>
> Normally, I'd say "just Google it," but 9/10 of Google's services are
> down right now, so :shrug:
>
> Hewlett Package Linux Imaging and Printing. It's HP's Linux driver
> suite. Regularly updated, supports most mainstream distros, and each
> successive version supports all the HP printers/scanners released up
> to that point - you don't need any specific version for any particular
> device.
This sounds very good. Thanks for the clarification.

Volker

Am Montag, den 14.12.2020, 12:46 +0000 schrieb Ian Bruntlett:

> Hi Volker,
>
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 12:36, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > What's "hplip"? It doesn't occur (as a backend) in the SANE devices list. Is
> > it a SANE backend provided by HP?
>
> I am not an expert. However, I do use HPLIP - it is a collection of software packages for printing and scanning on Linux computers with Hewlett Packard Printers/Scanners.
>
> Here is its webpage:-
> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
>
> There are various HPLIP related in the Ubuntu software repositories...
>
> On my system, I have these packages installed:- hplip, hplip-data, hplip-doc, hplip-gui
I'm about to go for a HP. So now I know how to get it to work. Thanks :-)

Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Sheemon Lists
Sane is insane. Please allow me to recommend VueScan.  They support every machine you can name.
Support is excellent, and have been using it for  more than years.
I use it with a plain printer/scanner/toaster  from Epson (does not meet your criteria), HP (does)
and several Nikon film scanners..  All working exceptionally well.

Am Montag, den 14.12.2020, 11:18 -0500 schrieb Sheemon Lists:
> Sane is insane. Please allow me to recommend VueScan.  They support every
> machine you can name.
> Support is excellent, and have been using it for  more than years.
> I use it with a plain printer/scanner/toaster  from Epson (does not meet
> your criteria), HP (does)
> and several Nikon film scanners..  All working exceptionally well.

This is proprietary and very expensive. If you want to use an ADF, you need
the professional edition, and that costs $100 !

No, thanks.

Bye,
Volker

Am Montag, den 14.12.2020, 09:13 -0500 schrieb Jared Greenwald:
> Have you looked at any of the multi-function Brother printer models?

Now I have. :)

> I have a model that's a few years old at this point MFC-J680DW but it
> works really well with Linux.  I haven't ever connected it to my computer
> directly via USB, but they provide drivers/scripts that allow you to
> connect it over your network without much trouble.  It even works with the
> default Ubuntu Document Scanner application over the network.  I imagine
> most of their MFC printers are about the same.  I realize you said you
> were just looking for a scanner with an ADF, but you might be better off
> looking for a multi-function printer that does the same thing.

Yes, that occured to me, too. I was about to buy a HP OfficeJet Pro 7720
Wide multi-function device. But now that I've found me a really cheap
second-hand Fujitsu ScanSnap S510M document scanner, I'm going for two
separate devices, a flat-bed and a document scanner (see my other mail).

But thanks for the hint. The Brother multi-function printers look good.

Cheers,
Volker

(Solved) Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Volker Wysk
Hi!

Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 13:49 +0100 schrieb Volker Wysk:

> Hi!
>
> I'm about to buy a new scanner, but the inquiry is hard work.
>
> It shall be a flat-bed scanner with an additional ADF. So it's both, a flab-
> bed and a document scanner. (Such are available!) It must/shall be able to
> do duplex, and it must support colors. In addition, it should have a USB
> connection, and (most of all) it needs to be supported by Linux. It should
> cost less than 400 €. And it may be second-hand.
>
> I've gone through a rather long list of devices, which are offered by a
> local computer shop (also is an online shop), but most aren't mentioned in
> SANE's devices list at all. One is mentioned, but it doesn't support duplex
> operation.
>
> Now, I could do it the other way, go through the list of devices supported
> by SANE, but it is really long and most aren't available any longer.
>
> I'm wondering if this list could be shortened by a preselection. Which
> manufacturers are supported particularly well? Which are Linux-friendly? Any
> other hints? Perhaps someone of you has such a combined scanner at work?
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.
I've found what I've searched for. I'm purchasing a Canon Canoscan Lide 300
flat-bed scanner (73 €) and a second-hand Fujitsu ScanSnap S510M document
scanner.

The latter one costs only 40 €, including shipping, in a previous advert on
eBay (now it's gone ;-)). The advert states that there are no free drivers
for Windows 10 for the scanner. So I suppose this is the reason for the very
cheap price.

I have good experience with my Canoscan Lide 220, the predecessor of the
Lide 300, except that it broke a few days ago. And someone on another
mailing list has good experience with that ScanSnap. Both have complete
support by SANE and will most probably work out of the box.

Now I'm happy.  :-)

Cheers,
Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:47:26 +0100, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>I've narrowed down the candidates, and it looks like I'll settle on the
>HP Officejet Pro 7720 Wide.

Is there no Laserjet alternative?
In my mind ink sucks big time...

Been following this with interest since I have an older A4 Laserjet
all-in-one MFC M277/dw printer, which nears its commercial lifetime
(even though it functions OK still). Mine has a one-sided document
feeder but prints both sides...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: (Solved) Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 04:51:45 +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Now I'm happy.  :-)

.... Well, for awhile, anyway.  :-)
Happy for your solution!

This thread has served up a lot of information
for me and my needs in the near future.

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ.net  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy     |  FreeBSD

Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2020, 15:37 +0100 schrieb Bo Berglund:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:47:26 +0100, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I've narrowed down the candidates, and it looks like I'll settle on the
> > HP Officejet Pro 7720 Wide.
> >

> Is there no Laserjet alternative?

There is, those Brothers for instance, which Jared Greenwald pointed out. I
haven't followed this path, because I found my (almost) ideal solution: two
(cheap but powerful) scanners, a flat-bed and a document one. See my post
"(Solved) Re: Recommendation for a scanner?".

> In my mind ink sucks big time...

In my mind too! What I wanted, was the scanner part. The ink printer was
only interesting as a backup, if my laser printer should fail. Or maybe for
photo printing now and then.

> Been following this with interest since I have an older A4 Laserjet
> all-in-one MFC M277/dw printer, which nears its commercial lifetime
> (even though it functions OK still). Mine has a one-sided document
> feeder but prints both sides...

It's the same with the printer-scanner-combinations which I've found.

Cheers,
Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Robert Heller
At Tue, 15 Dec 2020 17:43:26 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2020, 15:37 +0100 schrieb Bo Berglund:
> > On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:47:26 +0100, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I've narrowed down the candidates, and it looks like I'll settle on the
> > > HP Officejet Pro 7720 Wide.
> > >

> > Is there no Laserjet alternative?
>
> There is, those Brothers for instance, which Jared Greenwald pointed out. I
> haven't followed this path, because I found my (almost) ideal solution: two
> (cheap but powerful) scanners, a flat-bed and a document one. See my post
> "(Solved) Re: Recommendation for a scanner?".
>
> > In my mind ink sucks big time...
>
> In my mind too! What I wanted, was the scanner part. The ink printer was
> only interesting as a backup, if my laser printer should fail. Or maybe for
> photo printing now and then.

Cheaper to drive to Staples (or whatever).  Once an ink cart has been opened,
there is a "limited" time frame to use it or lose it -- the cart will dry up
if not used in a "timely" fashion.  If your "photo printing now and then" not
regular or frequent enough, you will spend more on carts than it will cost to
have the color prints made at a copy center or office supply place (eg
Staples or OfficeMax, etc,).

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2020, 12:23 -0500 schrieb Robert Heller:

> > > In my mind ink sucks big time...
> > In my mind too! What I wanted, was the scanner part. The ink printer was
> > only interesting as a backup, if my laser printer should fail. Or maybe for
> > photo printing now and then.
>
> Cheaper to drive to Staples (or whatever).  Once an ink cart has been opened,
> there is a "limited" time frame to use it or lose it -- the cart will dry up
> if not used in a "timely" fashion.  If your "photo printing now and then" not
> regular or frequent enough, you will spend more on carts than it will cost to
> have the color prints made at a copy center or office supply place (eg
> Staples or OfficeMax, etc,).
Yes, it sucks. And I bet the manufacturers aren't very depressed about this
state of affairs.

Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Bo Berglund
On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 17:43:26 +0100, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> In my mind ink sucks big time...
>
>In my mind too! What I wanted, was the scanner part. The ink printer was
>only interesting as a backup, if my laser printer should fail. Or maybe for
>photo printing now and then.

Sorry, I did not remember that your target was a scanner with document
feeder, not a printer!
So if you find an ink printer all-in-one with a scanner that fills the
requirements than of course you should take that!

I was thinking aloud and asked based on my own wishes!
Good luck with your *scanner* selection!

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2020, 20:08 +0100 schrieb Bo Berglund:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 17:43:26 +0100, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > > In my mind ink sucks big time...
> >
> > In my mind too! What I wanted, was the scanner part. The ink printer was
> > only interesting as a backup, if my laser printer should fail. Or maybe for
> > photo printing now and then.
>
> Sorry, I did not remember that your target was a scanner with document
> feeder, not a printer!
> So if you find an ink printer all-in-one with a scanner that fills the
> requirements than of course you should take that!
I would get the printer part as an extra. And a laser printer would be a
better extra than an ink printer. So you were right, even if you weren't
aware of it...  ;-)

> I was thinking aloud and asked based on my own wishes!
> Good luck with your *scanner* selection!

I'm already done with it! See my post with the subject "(Solved) Re:
Recommendation for a scanner?". It turned out very well.

But perhaps it's too early to say that. That document scanner hasn't reached
me yet.

Cheers,
Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Joel Rees
On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 1:08 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 12.12.2020, 09:04 -0500 schrieb Gene Heskett:

> > > My OKI all-in-one printer does all that as well as being a colour
> > > laser printer.  It cost around £160 I think so is well within your
> > > budget.
> > >
> > > The model is MC342N.
> > >
> > > Linux support is excellent, it comes with a pop-up utility that
> > > installs itself in the task bar on my xubuntu system, but you can just
> > > run it as well if you want.
> >
> > And if your need is for a larger format but 99.9% of your use is letter
> > or A4 stuff, I'll recommend the Brother MFC's.
>
> The SANE devices list has four Brother MFC's, all listed as unsupported.

My Brother multi-function printer/scanner works fine in Ubuntu without
the Brother drivers. It's a DCP, not a MFC.

When I was running Debian before the systemd business, I used the
proprietary ririvers. I don't nneed them ay more.

> > I have an MFC-J69020-DW,
> > now several years old. And its a big monster ink jet. Running the
> > drivers downloadable from brother's support site, the integration to
> > cups and xsane for all functions is best described as Just Works.
>
> So it Just Works with a proprietary driver. I'm not sure if I want that...
>
> > It scans up to tabloid thru the ADF. Can do duplex except for tabloid.
> > but printing tabloid needs a rear feed which is hard to align properly.
> > But I do use that occasionally for rockhopper output, which is a logic
> > tracer intended to show the signal flow thru the .hal file(s) of a
> > LinuxCNC driven metal carving machine. 2 paper trays, I keep one full of
> > photo paper, the other full of decent quality copy paper. It has an ipv4
> > interface and usb, but the ipv4 is noticeably slower, so I just "share"
> > it, and can drive it from any of this or the other 4 machines on my home
> > network.  Part of the ipv4 slow is the tcp driver, it sends the wrong
> > checksum the first 6 times it sends a wakeup to the printer, but sends
> > the correct crc the 7th time.
>
> Thanks for the hint. But I think I don't need a big monster ink jet. :-) But
> I may have to think that over.
>

> Cheers,
> V.W.

Joel Rees

http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html

Am Mittwoch, den 16.12.2020, 23:35 +0900 schrieb Joel Rees:
> > The SANE devices list has four Brother MFC's, all listed as unsupported.
>
> My Brother multi-function printer/scanner works fine in Ubuntu without
> the Brother drivers. It's a DCP, not a MFC.
>
> When I was running Debian before the systemd business, I used the
> proprietary ririvers. I don't nneed them ay more.

Is yours the Brother DCP-L2530DW? This one DCP is listed as supported (well)
in the SANE devices list. So that would be the reason you don't need a
proprietary driver...

I've ordered a Fujitsu ScanSnap S510M now.

bye,
Volker