Recommendation for a scanner?

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

nitin chandra
Hi,

The way I shortlist a printer for my SOHO setup is very simple.

Choose the one which covers your requirements. Pick 2-3 models, keeping in mind Paper size, ADF, print capacity , colour / mono-laser, price within budget, etc

Then go to the device manufacturers website, and search for drivers : Samsung, EPSON, Brother, HP most of them have device drivers.

Read carefully, it may give a general statement about drivers working with models / devices.

I currently use EPSON MFD L565 (Ink Tank) with Linux Mint 19.x (Scan, print, ADF)

Thank you

Nitin

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 21:40, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 16.12.2020, 23:35 +0900 schrieb Joel Rees:
> > The SANE devices list has four Brother MFC's, all listed as unsupported.
>
> My Brother multi-function printer/scanner works fine in Ubuntu without
> the Brother drivers. It's a DCP, not a MFC.
>
> When I was running Debian before the systemd business, I used the
> proprietary ririvers. I don't nneed them ay more.

Is yours the Brother DCP-L2530DW? This one DCP is listed as supported (well)
in the SANE devices list. So that would be the reason you don't need a
proprietary driver...

I've ordered a Fujitsu ScanSnap S510M now.

bye,
Volker

Re: Recommendation for a scanner?

Volker Wysk
Am Samstag, den 19.12.2020, 13:07 +0530 schrieb nitin chandra:
> Hi,
>
> The way I shortlist a printer for my SOHO setup is very simple.
>
> Choose the one which covers your requirements.

That's the hard part. It was difficult to find models which match the
requirements, which are available.

> Pick 2-3 models, keeping in mind Paper size, ADF, print capacity , colour
> / mono-laser, price within budget, etc
>
> Then go to the device manufacturers website, and search for drivers :
> Samsung, EPSON, Brother, HP most of them have device drivers.

The two which I've finally found, are supported directly by SANE. No need
for manufacturer drivers. But of course you're right. You should look for
drivers supplied by the manufacturers, if the models do need them.