Refactoring kubuntu. org

Rick Timmis-3
Hello everyone.

I have a proposal to address our out of date WordPress website and its infrastructure. Building a dynamically generated site makes maintenance and administration an important task, and keeping everything secure even more so.

Further, making contributions as easy as possible for our community would help with engagement. Of course we need to do that in a managed way to ensure that we get excellent, and relevant content on our website.

My proposal is to reimplement kubunbtu.org using the Hugo static site generator. This would enable content of the site to be managed via KDE's GitLab instance, or Launchpad. All content is stored as Markdown .MD files, with all images stored in an /images directory and all the sources stored in Git, or Bzr respectively.

Content updates then become simple merge requests, and if we chose KDE's GitLab instance then updates can even be made directly within GitLab using the WebIDE.

The website would be built by the Hugo generator and deployed to production, based upon merge triggers on the Master branch, perhaps hooked into our CI systems as a Jenkins build job.

I'd probably need some support and input in regard to UX and Graphic design, but the technical stuff I can take care of.

Let me know your thoughts ?

Do you like this idea ?

Best Wishes

Rick Timmis
Kubuntu Council.

Re: Refactoring kubuntu. org

Mark Constable
On 2/6/20 5:49 pm, Rick Timmis wrote:
> My proposal is to reimplement kubunbtu.org using the Hugo static site
> generator.

Totally personal comment which counts for nothing but I would rather
see Wordpress used offline with page builder plugins then use either
the WP2Static plugin to create static HTML or something like the
wordpress-to-jekyll-exporter (github) then convert the result to
Hugo compat markdown with either of 2 python scripts. Pure markdown
for page content is reasonable but does not solve the overall page
layout and styling unless you find a theme everyone is happy with.

Re: Refactoring kubuntu. org

Valorie Zimmerman
On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:50 AM Rick Timmis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone.

I have a proposal to address our out of date WordPress website and its infrastructure. Building a dynamically generated site makes maintenance and administration an important task, and keeping everything secure even more so.

Further, making contributions as easy as possible for our community would help with engagement. Of course we need to do that in a managed way to ensure that we get excellent, and relevant content on our website.

My proposal is to reimplement kubunbtu.org using the Hugo static site generator. This would enable content of the site to be managed via KDE's GitLab instance, or Launchpad. All content is stored as Markdown .MD files, with all images stored in an /images directory and all the sources stored in Git, or Bzr respectively.

Cool. KDE is moving this way already. You might want to hang out in #kde-www and chat with the web devels there about your plan.

Content updates then become simple merge requests, and if we chose KDE's GitLab instance then updates can even be made directly within GitLab using the WebIDE.

Unsure whether or not we should use KDE's gitlab or just use our own?

The website would be built by the Hugo generator and deployed to production, based upon merge triggers on the Master branch, perhaps hooked into our CI systems as a Jenkins build job.

I'd probably need some support and input in regard to UX and Graphic design, but the technical stuff I can take care of.

Let me know your thoughts ?

Do you like this idea ?

Best Wishes

Rick Timmis
Kubuntu Council

Thanks for stepping up!

Valorie

Re: Refactoring kubuntu. org

Mike Mikowski
Hi Valorie and Rick:

The Kubuntu Focus Team agree with this direction!

Cheers, Mike

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, 17:45 Valorie Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rik Mills-2
On 02/06/2020 08:49, Rick Timmis wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I have a proposal to address our out of date WordPress website and its
> infrastructure. Building a dynamically generated site makes maintenance
> and administration an important task, and keeping everything secure even
> more so.
>
> Further, making contributions as easy as possible for our community
> would help with engagement. Of course we need to do that in a managed
> way to ensure that we get excellent, and relevant content on our website.
>
> My proposal is to reimplement kubunbtu.org <http://kubunbtu.org> using
> the Hugo static site generator. This would enable content of the site to
> be managed via KDE's GitLab instance, or Launchpad. All content is
> stored as Markdown .MD files, with all images stored in an /images
> directory and all the sources stored in Git, or Bzr respectively.
>
> Content updates then become simple merge requests, and if we chose KDE's
> GitLab instance then updates can even be made directly within GitLab
> using the WebIDE.
>
> The website would be built by the Hugo generator and deployed to
> production, based upon merge triggers on the Master branch, perhaps
> hooked into our CI systems as a Jenkins build job.
>
> I'd probably need some support and input in regard to UX and Graphic
> design, but the technical stuff I can take care of.
>
> Let me know your thoughts ?
>
> Do you like this idea ?

I don't have very much input apart from that I am strongly of the
opinion that:

- commit/edit access should restricted to our launchpad website editors
team. Preferably authenticated through it.
- That if we use a VCS to make changes, this should hosted and be under
the control of us and/or canonical. I am not in favour of using a 3rd
party like KDE invent.

Rik