Release TODO

Benjamin Kerensa
Ok folks,

Its time to start getting in final merge proposals for 13.10 and we still have some documentation that needs updating so I ask that those of you who are familiar with our work flow please grab a fresh copy of the saucy branch and review doc for potential updates and improvements.

I am reaching out to Jono's team so he can talk to engineering teams and see what specific features they might want to feature on what's new so I will handle updating that bit.

--
Benjamin Kerensa
"I am what I am because of who we all are" - Ubuntu

Re: Release TODO

Kevin Godby-2
On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Benjamin Kerensa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Its time to start getting in final merge proposals for 13.10 and we still
> have some documentation that needs updating so I ask that those of you who
> are familiar with our work flow please grab a fresh copy of the saucy branch
> and review doc for potential updates and improvements.

I'd add that for those who are unfamiliar with the Mallard markup
language, bzr, etc. but still want to contribute, you can email this
mailing list or file bugs against the ubuntu-doc project about
out-of-date or incorrect documentation.

You can review the current documentation at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/13.04/ubuntu-help/index.html>.  Just let us
know which URL you're looking at and what errors you come across.

Thanks!

—Kevin

Release TODO sample.odt (17K) Download Attachment

Re: Release TODO

Kevin Godby-2
Hello, Martin.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM, MARTIN DIXON <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to start helping , but am wary of being a pedant please see
> sameple attached to confirm my approach is OK

Pedantry is usually a good thing when it comes to writing
documentation—as long as it doesn't obfuscate things.

> Is it a standard to use a comma before “and”? There are lots of them.

Using the serial comma (sometimes called the Oxford comma or Harvard
comma) is a matter of style.  According to the ubuntu-docs style guide
(see rule 1 under the "Comma" heading at
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/StyleGuide/SpellingPunctuationGrammar#Punctuation>),
the serial comma should be used throughout our documentation.  If you
find places where the serial comma is omitted, please bring it to our
attention.  (I've noticed that the serial comma is omitted in headings
where the ampersand [&] is used in place of the word "and". I assume
this is an exception to the rule.)

> Using link Legal - https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html leads to that page, but on
> https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html
> Using link Legal creates a circular loop to the same page.

That's true. The footer text is added to the bottom of every page. It
may be difficult to add an exception to the legal page, so I doubt
this will be fixed in the near future. Thanks for reporting it,
though!

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Please keep them coming!

—Kevin

Re: Release TODO

Kevin Godby-2
Hello, John.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM, John Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok. What about the screenshot script? Has it been fixed yet? I haven't
> checked the docs for a while, but I'm not sure whether the pictures are
> up-to-date either.

I don't think the screenshot script has been modified yet. Most of the
screenshots are out of date.

—Kevin

RE: Release TODO

Doug Smythies

On 2013.08.26 12:12 Kevin Godby wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM, MARTIN DIXON <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>> I would like to start helping , but am wary of being a pedant please
>> see sameple attached to confirm my approach is OK

I am unable to open the attached document.

>> Using link Legal - https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html leads to that
>> page, but on https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html
>> Using link Legal creates a circular loop to the same page.

> That's true. The footer text is added to the bottom of every page.
> It may be difficult to add an exception to the legal page, so I doubt
> this will be fixed in the near future. Thanks for reporting it, though!

Actually, there are about 4 or 5 files on help.ubuntu.com that are
not slave to the upstream projects. The legal.html file is one such file,
as are the various higher level index.html files. Therefore it would be
trivial to change the legal.html footer, if that is what is decided is
required. The footer would not be overwritten by the compile time footer
stuff. If you look closely, you will realize that footer didn't change
during the footer update of mid May (which is my mistake).

As for the link looping back on itself, but in all other respects being
consistent across all pages, myself I don't have a problem with it.
However, I'll defer to what the group wants. Let me know, as I will
probably fix my missed footer change (also missed in contributers.html)
in the day or two.

Re: Release TODO

Tom Davies-9
Hi :)
I quite like the footer being consistent across almost all pages.  if it suddenly changed radically on the Legal page then it might freak me out a little for a moment.  It's would be unusual to see such attention to detail on a website.  I don't really mind though
Regards from
Tom :)

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM, MARTIN DIXON <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>> I would like to start helping , but am wary of being a pedant please
>> see sameple attached to confirm my approach is OK

I am unable to open the attached document.

>> Using link Legal - https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html leads to that
>> page, but on https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html
>> Using link Legal creates a circular loop to the same page.

> That's true. The footer text is added to the bottom of every page.
> It may be difficult to add an exception to the legal page, so I doubt
> this will be fixed in the near future. Thanks for reporting it, though!

Actually, there are about 4 or 5 files on help.ubuntu.com that are
not slave to the upstream projects. The legal.html file is one such file,
as are the various higher level index.html files. Therefore it would be
trivial to change the legal.html footer, if that is what is decided is
required. The footer would not be overwritten by the compile time footer
stuff. If you look closely, you will realize that footer didn't change
during the footer update of mid May (which is my mistake).

As for the link looping back on itself, but in all other respects being
consistent across all pages, myself I don't have a problem with it.
However, I'll defer to what the group wants. Let me know, as I will
probably fix my missed footer change (also missed in contributers.html)
in the day or two.

Re: Release TODO

Tom Davies-9
Hi :)
I did like it that it got spotted.

I think "," before and is the US way.  Personally i prefer the English ways but to be consistent across all pages we go with the US way.  Getting negative responses on your 1st 2 suggestions is not a bad thing.  It helps us to see where we might need to change our recently radically improved "Getting Started" page.

Some people changed tons of stuff before realising that en-us is the standard [looks down at floor] [blushes] [shuffles feet].  Getting that out of the way early is a good move!
Regards from
Tom :)

I quite like the footer being consistent across almost all pages.  if it suddenly changed radically on the Legal page then it might freak me out a little for a moment.  It's would be unusual to see such attention to detail on a website.  I don't really mind though
Regards from
Tom :)

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM, MARTIN DIXON <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>> I would like to start helping , but am wary of being a pedant please
>> see sample attached to confirm my approach is OK

I am unable to open the attached document.

>> Using link Legal - https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html leads to that
>> page, but on https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html
>> Using link Legal creates a circular loop to the same page.

> That's true. The footer text is added to the bottom of every page.
> It may be difficult to add an exception to the legal page, so I doubt
> this will be fixed in the near future. Thanks for reporting it, though!

Actually, there are about 4 or 5 files on help.ubuntu.com that are
not slave to the upstream projects. The legal.html file is one such file,
as are the various higher level index.html files. Therefore it would be
trivial to change the legal.html footer, if that is what is decided is
required. The footer would not be overwritten by the compile time footer
stuff. If you look closely, you will realize that footer didn't change
during the footer update of mid May (which is my mistake).

As for the link looping back on itself, but in all other respects being
consistent across all pages, myself I don't have a problem with it.
However, I'll defer to what the group wants. Let me know, as I will
probably fix my missed footer change (also missed in contributers.html)
in the day or two.

Thanks re: Release TODO

mh-dixon

To all who have replied to my initial offering my grateful thanks.
It shows how all can learn as a result of some understanding very little!
I trust I shall not disappoint next time.

I was puzzled by Doug Smythies comment " I am unable to open the attached document."
If I offer further suggestions it would be useful to make sure they can be available to anyone interested - how?

Re: Thanks re: Release TODO

Kevin Godby-2
Hello, Martin.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM, MARTIN DIXON <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was puzzled by Doug Smythies comment " I am unable to open the attached
> document."
> If I offer further suggestions it would be useful to make sure they can be
> available to anyone interested - how?

You could just include them directly in the body of your email.
Alternatively, you can file individual bugs for each error at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+filebug>.

—Kevin

Re: Thanks re: Release TODO

mh-dixon
Hello Kevin.
I will try the inclusive suggestion as "bugs" suggests I already 'know' that my comment is not some lack of knowledge on my part!

Footers accepted I note that the Link (Legal) appears in the URL https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html
but unlike the other two (links in the footer) not in the title of the page - Credits and License.

As Open Source has a totally different "legal" to other propietry 'offerings'
I found this confusing - could the link Legal be changed to Credits and License?

Martin

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM, MARTIN DIXON <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was puzzled by Doug Smythies comment " I am unable to open the attached
> document."
> If I offer further suggestions it would be useful to make sure they can be
> available to anyone interested - how?

You could just include them directly in the body of your email.
Alternatively, you can file individual bugs for each error at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+filebug>.

—Kevin

Re: Thanks re: Release TODO

Tom Davies-9
Hi :)
Writing to the whole list is best.   You don't need to give 1 persons name unless you really are seeking an answer from that specific person.  Normally we all just speak to the list as a whole.  Then whoever is able to help a bit tries to give an answer and we use that to make decisions as a group.  You may notice a bit of quick voting going on sometimes with +1s at the top of posts.  It's not always serious issues but if issues suddenly do become serious then we hopefully have a feeling for what some of those people are likely to think.

So, even though it is a bit different to a proprietary project's "Legal" page i think it is about as close as we get.  The page might need more work to bring it more consistent with the "Legal" page on proprietary equivalents as pages are rarely static and completed.  Situations change, new releases happen, new functionality gets added or default programs get swapped for others.  People may be looking for a "Legal" page and may then get confused if the page names are unusual.  I think we need to try to look as normal as possible from the outside.  I'm sure a LOT of people disagree with me on that.

So i think what you are saying is that we need to add a whole bunch of stuff to the page?
Regards from
Tom :)

I will try the inclusive suggestion as "bugs" suggests I already 'know' that my comment is not some lack of knowledge on my part!

Footers accepted I note that the Link (Legal) appears in the URL https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html
but unlike the other two (links in the footer) not in the title of the page - Credits and License.

As Open Source has a totally different "legal" to other proprietary 'offerings'
I found this confusing - could the link Legal be changed to Credits and License?

Martin

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM, MARTIN DIXON <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was puzzled by Doug Smythies comment " I am unable to open the attached
> document."
> If I offer further suggestions it would be useful to make sure they can be
> available to anyone interested - how?

You could just include them directly in the body of your email.
Alternatively, you can file individual bugs for each error at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+filebug>.

—Kevin

Re: Release TODO

Elizabeth K. Joseph
On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM, John Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok. What about the screenshot script? Has it been fixed yet? I haven't
> checked the docs for a while, but I'm not sure whether the pictures are
> up-to-date either.

It has not been fixed. It would be great if someone could grab the
script (I am not even sure where it is), run it (probably on a saucy
VM?), determine what is wrong (does it error? does it fail silently?
does it take the wrong screenshots?), and then either fix it or report
to the list what is wrong so we can find someone to fix it.

http://www.princessleia.com

Re: Thanks re: Release TODO

mh-dixon
Thanks Tom *:-/ confused  Will address whole list for new stuff.

Re Legal - No!  How to clear this up?

When other pages are clear link = title I found Legal link confusing because it did not lead to Legal title.
The content of the page - whatever it is - (I suggest) should reflect the title in the context in which it appears; hence the existing page is Ok.
Do we need ten pages of 'stuff' if we can state our position simply.  Whether there is a need for more '
proprietary' content is another matter.

Martin

Tom Davies wrote

Writing to the whole list is best.
So, even though it is a bit different to a proprietary project's "Legal" page i think it is about as close as we get.  The page might need more work to bring it more consistent with the "Legal" page on proprietary equivalents as pages are rarely static and completed.  Situations change, new releases happen, new functionality gets added or default programs get swapped for others.  People may be looking for a "Legal" page and may then get confused if the page names are unusual.  I think we need to try to look as normal as possible from the outside.  I'm sure a LOT of people disagree with me on that.

So i think what you are saying is that we need to add a whole bunch of stuff to the page?

 MARTIN DIXON wrote

Footers accepted I note that the Link (Legal) appears in the URL https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html
but unlike the other two (links in the footer) not in the title of the page - Credits and License.

As Open Source has a totally different "legal" to other proprietary 'offerings'
I found this confusing - could the link Legal be changed to Credits and License?

Martin

ubuntu-doc mailing list

Re: Thanks re: Release TODO

Tom Davies-9
Hi :)
You did email the entire list so that was ok but then you said "Hi Kevin".  I was just suggesting just saying "Hi" or something without really giving a name.  Sometimes a single message might be replying to various individual's specific comments in which case it might have
"
Hi :)
blah, blah

@Kevin
yes but blah, blah blah

@Tom
??? blah
"

We once had someone writing 5 separate messages to the list but each saying hi to a different person and then the contents saying things like "i have just written to Kevin about ... " and then copied the contents of his previous post to the list which everyone, including Kevin, had already read.  (Errr i was just using the name Kevin as an example).

It takes a while to get used to mailing lists!

Regards from
Tom :)

Re: Thanks re: Release TODO

John Kim-2
Hi everyone,

@Tom
Totally agree with you. Our information needs to be directed to the right person in a clean manner, and the system you proposed sounds awesome! :-D

On 2013.08.27 11:40 Martin Dixon wrote:

> Re Legal - No!  How to clear this up?
> When other pages are clear link = title I found
> legal link confusing because it did not lead to
> Legal title.
> The content of the page - whatever it is -
> (I suggest) should reflect the title in the context
> in which it appears; hence the existing page is Ok.

> Footers accepted I note that the Link (Legal) appears in the URL
https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html
> but unlike the other two (links in the footer) not in the title of the
page - Credits and License.

O.K. Martin, I think I understand your point. Thanks for persisting.

Attached are proposed changes to legal.html
(eliminate legal link to itself in footer, add (Legal) to title)
I'll also cut and paste below, but long line lengths might
mess up formatting.

doug@s15:~/sguide-1304/doug_help$ bzr diff
=== modified file 'legal.html'
--- legal.html  2013-04-23 18:13:54 +0000
+++ legal.html  2013-08-27 22:05:57 +0000
@@ -50,7 +50,7 @@

-       <h1>Credits and License</h1>
+       <h1>Credits and License (Legal)</h1>

href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam">Ubuntu Documentation
Team</a>. For a list of contributors, see the <a class="ulink"
href="contributors.html" target="_top">contributors page</a></p>
documents are made available under the Creative Commons ShareAlike 3.0
License (CC-BY-SA).</p>
@@ -63,7 +63,7 @@
-<div id="footer"><p>The material in this document is available under a free
on contributing see the <a
href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam">Ubuntu Documentation Team
wiki page</a>. To report a problem, visit the <a
href="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs">bug page for
+<div id="footer"><p>For information on contributing see the <a
href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam">Ubuntu Documentation Team
wiki page</a>. To report errors in this documentation, <a
href="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs">file a

proposed.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Legal page Re: Thanks re: Release TODO

Tom Davies-9
Hi :)
+1
wrt to persisting.  Thanks Martin! (and thanks Doug too of course)

@Martin,
Has Doug covered the points you were making or does it need more?
Regards from
Tom :)

> When other pages are clear link = title I found
> legal link confusing because it did not lead to
> Legal title.
> The content of the page - whatever it is -
> (I suggest) should reflect the title in the context
> in which it appears; hence the existing page is Ok.

> Footers accepted I note that the Link (Legal) appears in the URL
https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html
> but unlike the other two (links in the footer) not in the title of the
page - Credits and License.

O.K. Martin, I think I understand your point. Thanks for persisting.

Attached are proposed changes to legal.html
(eliminate legal link to itself in footer, add (Legal) to title)
I'll also cut and paste below, but long line lengths might
mess up formatting.

[hidden email]:~/sguide-1304/doug_help$ bzr diff
[...]

RE: Legal page Re: Thanks re: Release TODO

Doug Smythies

On 2013.08.28 10:03 Tom Davies wrote:
> @Martin,
> Has Doug covered the points you were making or does it need more?

@Everybody: about legal.html:

We (Tom, Martin, and I) went offlist on this thread.
I have now "pushed" the changes. Typically
help.ubuntu.com will be auto-updated by launchpad
by approximately 2013.08.29 13:00

Reference:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-doc/ubuntu-docs/help.ubuntu.com/rev
ision/106