Reminder: please stay on topic

Jared Norris
Good evening all,

On behalf of the moderation team I'd like to send out a friendly
reminder. Can everyone please remain on topic for the list. This list
is sent to thousands of people and to remain a healthy support channel
needs to have the correct signal to noise level.

If you're unsure of what the list is for please read the information
sent in the reply field of every email -  "Ubuntu user technical
support, not for general discussions". If you're still not sure, try
reading the FAQ [1] or contacting the mailing list moderation team
[2], both should be able to assist with your enquiries.

To be clear, topics such as politics and electrical engineering level
detailed computer repairs are not appropriate for the list.

Some examples of more appropriate list conversation would be:
* I've recently changed ISPs and I've getting an error, does anyone
know how I can troubleshoot this to see if it's related to my
installation or the ISP change?
* I see you're having problem X, in my experience this can be caused
by <insert hardware part>, if you know what you're doing I'd recommend
testing that, if not your local computer store might be able to help.

Sending emails to the list that identify as off topic (OT) is a quick
way to the moderation queue.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact the
mailing list moderation team [2].

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ
[2] [hidden email]

Regards,

Jared Norris
(on behalf of the moderation team)

Re: Reminder: please stay on topic

Mike Marchywka
On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 09:16:17PM +1000, Jared Norris wrote:

> Good evening all,
>
> On behalf of the moderation team I'd like to send out a friendly
> reminder. Can everyone please remain on topic for the list. This list
> is sent to thousands of people and to remain a healthy support channel
> needs to have the correct signal to noise level.
>
> If you're unsure of what the list is for please read the information
> sent in the reply field of every email -  "Ubuntu user technical
> support, not for general discussions". If you're still not sure, try
> reading the FAQ [1] or contacting the mailing list moderation team
> [2], both should be able to assist with your enquiries.
>
> To be clear, topics such as politics and electrical engineering level
> detailed computer repairs are not appropriate for the list.

One thing I have found in 16.04 from Dell is the existence of thermal
monitoring in /sys/class/thermal . I'm not sure if this is Ubuntu
unique but system specific ihardware monitoring software can make trouble shooting
easier. Another thread was on a wifi card or something that
strayed off into engineering approaches to debug that may or
may not be easily with a given OS. And from there you get various
incidental comments on performing whatever is needed to evalute
the OS debugging features. Maybe not everyone wants a wifi
card that functions as a grid dip meter but if you do are
there Ubuntu drivers to make it work?

Let's all make Unbuntu great again :)

> Some examples of more appropriate list conversation would be:
> * I've recently changed ISPs and I've getting an error, does anyone
> know how I can troubleshoot this to see if it's related to my
> installation or the ISP change?
> * I see you're having problem X, in my experience this can be caused
> by <insert hardware part>, if you know what you're doing I'd recommend
> testing that, if not your local computer store might be able to help.
>
> Sending emails to the list that identify as off topic (OT) is a quick
> way to the moderation queue.
>
> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact the
> mailing list moderation team [2].
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ
> [2] [hidden email]
>

> Regards,