Removal of cloud-images

Carsten Otto
Dear readers,

I sadly do not know how to reach Ubuntu folks, so I'm (ab)using this
list (could you name a dedicated list for Ubuntu folks taking care of
mirror issues)?

I'm one of the admins of ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de, a rather big mirror
in Germany. We also mirror cloud-images and noticed that this data is
rarely (never?) requested. In total, we download more using rsync than
we upload (1.4 MBit/sec on average in the past year).

Could you give a reason why we should continue hosting this data? How
are Ubuntu users made aware of our mirror? Is there some kind of
Mirrorbrain-like system?

If I don't receive a convincing reply, I'll remove cloud-images in the
next few days.

Best regards
Carsten
--
Dr. Carsten Otto
http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/

Re: Removal of cloud-images

Sander Smeenk
Quoting Carsten Otto ([hidden email]):

> I sadly do not know how to reach Ubuntu folks, so I'm (ab)using this
> list (could you name a dedicated list for Ubuntu folks taking care of
> mirror issues)?

This list is fine for this, i guess. A few of us idle in #ubuntu-mirrors
on FreeNode IRC, and there's https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mirrors ofcourse. ;)

> Could you give a reason why we should continue hosting this data?

I'm not sure you're supposed to, really. I'm speaking as
'nl.{archive,releases}.ubuntu.com', which has 'only' 1.1TB for
ubuntu-archive and 74GB for ubuntu-releases.

> If I don't receive a convincing reply, I'll remove cloud-images in the
> next few days.

Oooooh! Arrrr yooo THREATHENING MEEEEEE???? ;-)))

HTH, HAND,
-Sndr.
--
| Year, n.: A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.
| 4096R/20CC6CD2 - 6D40 1A20 B9AA 87D4 84C7  FBD6 F3A9 9442 20CC 6CD2

Re: Removal of cloud-images

Carsten Otto
Hi Sander,

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 07:09:44PM +0200, Sander Smeenk wrote:
> This list is fine for this, i guess. A few of us idle in #ubuntu-mirrors
> on FreeNode IRC, and there's https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mirrors ofcourse. ;)

Thank you for the information. With the other projects I'm used to
having dedicated contact persons (at least a dedicated mailing list that
is read by such folks). With Ubuntu this, sadly, is not the case, it
seems.

> I'm not sure you're supposed to, really. I'm speaking as
> 'nl.{archive,releases}.ubuntu.com', which has 'only' 1.1TB for
> ubuntu-archive and 74GB for ubuntu-releases.

OK, that helps. I don't know why we started mirroring it, I must admit.

> Oooooh! Arrrr yooo THREATHENING MEEEEEE???? ;-)))

Not really. Based on my experience, it helps to clearly communicate a
default action - especially if no (timely) response is likely.

Best regards,
Carsten