Remove NetworkManager

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Remove NetworkManager

Xen
Hi,

I just wanted to remove NetworkManager because it was interfering (once
more) with manual setting of my connection in case I needed to change
the DHCP server temporarily and I just...

want to be able to use "ip addr" myself and it interferes with that.

However after removing the service and the package I still get
interference.

I also uninstalled dnsmasq.

There is still some dhclient process being started by something and I
don't know what, leading to /usr/lib/NetworkManager/..... or something.

Also dhclient for some reason doesn't set the default gateway.

I am clueless.

Maybe the default gateway is in fact removed. Each time I restart
networking I have to manually start dhclient and set the default route
and even more than that I have to kill the other dhclient process that
interferes. I don't know what to do here.

The only thing still in existance on my system named NetworkManager is
this:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libKF5NetworkManagerQt.so.5.18.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libKF5NetworkManagerQt.so.6

There is no trace of anything NetworkManager in /etc.

Nothing in /lib. Oh.... apologies ;-). The deamon was still running even
though the package had been removed. And I thought I had already stopped
it. Still don't know if the rest will work now :(...

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Remove NetworkManager

David Fletcher-5
On Sun, 2016-11-13 at 14:14 +0100, Xen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to remove NetworkManager because it was interfering
> (once 
> more) with manual setting of my connection in case I needed to
> change 
> the DHCP server temporarily and I just...
>
> want to be able to use "ip addr" myself and it interferes with that.

Don't know if this helps but here is the networking section from my
Ubuntu Server 14.04 setup notes:-

Set up networking:-
Edit /etc/network/interfaces to look like this:-

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
# iface eth0 inet dhcp
# Changes to:-
iface eth0 inet static
  address         192.168.2.x
  netmask         255.255.255.0
  network         192.168.2.0
  broadcast       192.168.2.255
  gateway         192.168.2.1
  dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 192.168.2.1 8.8.8.8


This file was last edited on my server on 2015-04-30 and gives me no
problems, but maybe other "features" get in the way on a desktop
system.

Dave

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Remove NetworkManager

Xen
> Don't know if this helps but here is the networking section from my
> Ubuntu Server 14.04 setup notes:-

Aye, I did not realize the binary of NetworkManager was still running
and it was probably causing those problems, as always.

They created a system where you have to tell it when not to interfere,
instead of a system that asks you when it can interfere.

This "negative" approach creates all the problems...

Anyway, thank you for your message, very kind.

> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

> This file was last edited on my server on 2015-04-30 and gives me no
> problems, but maybe other "features" get in the way on a desktop
> system.
>
> Dave

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Remove NetworkManager

Xen
In reply to this post by David Fletcher-5
David Fletcher schreef op 13-11-2016 15:22:

> Don't know if this helps but here is the networking section from my
> Ubuntu Server 14.04 setup notes:-

Well this is just smack awesome.

/sbin/dhclient-script refuses to set a route if the DHCP server provides
ANY static routes.

So that's why I don't get a route.

Another file to patch in my system ;-).

Well I guess I should be glad I *can* patch files ;-).

Regards.


>
> Set up networking:-
> Edit /etc/network/interfaces to look like this:-
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> This file was last edited on my server on 2015-04-30 and gives me no
> problems, but maybe other "features" get in the way on a desktop
> system.
>
> Dave

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Remove NetworkManager

uteck
In reply to this post by Xen
NetworkManager will only configure interfaces not set in
/etc/network/interfaces, so you can leave it installed and set the
interface manually if there are occasions were you might want to use it.


On 11/13/2016 08:42 AM, Xen wrote:

>> Don't know if this helps but here is the networking section from my
>> Ubuntu Server 14.04 setup notes:-
>
> Aye, I did not realize the binary of NetworkManager was still running
> and it was probably causing those problems, as always.
>
> They created a system where you have to tell it when not to interfere,
> instead of a system that asks you when it can interfere.
>
> This "negative" approach creates all the problems...
>
> Anyway, thank you for your message, very kind.
>
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
>> This file was last edited on my server on 2015-04-30 and gives me no
>> problems, but maybe other "features" get in the way on a desktop
>> system.
>>
>> Dave
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Loading...