Replace boot drive

Jack McGee
It's probably time to replace my boot drive on my desktop running 16.04.
  I bought new 2TB spinning disk much larger than existing.

What is best way to do this?  I have backups of
dir2="/home"
dir3="/etc"
dir4="/usr/local"
dir5="/var"
dir6="/opt"

I also have WindowsXP partition (when I moved to Ubuntu) I would like to
keep but not absolutely necessary.

this is the boot disk:
Disk /dev/sda: 298.1 GiB, 320072933376 bytes, 625142448 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x45334533

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1  *           63 593923049 593922987 283.2G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2       593924096 625141759  31217664  14.9G 83 Linux

This system has a boot drive and data drive.  I'm not sure if the XP
installation is on which drive.

Is best to install 16.04 from scratch, then restore backups, if so what?

Re: Replace boot drive

Colin Law
On 19 May 2017 at 18:29, Jack McGee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's probably time to replace my boot drive on my desktop running 16.04.  I
> bought new 2TB spinning disk much larger than existing.
>
> What is best way to do this?  I have backups of
> dir2="/home"
> dir3="/etc"
> dir4="/usr/local"
> dir5="/var"
> dir6="/opt"
>
> I also have WindowsXP partition (when I moved to Ubuntu) I would like to
> keep but not absolutely necessary.
>
> this is the boot disk:
> Disk /dev/sda: 298.1 GiB, 320072933376 bytes, 625142448 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disklabel type: dos
> Disk identifier: 0x45334533
>
> Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
> /dev/sda1  *           63 593923049 593922987 283.2G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
> /dev/sda2       593924096 625141759  31217664  14.9G 83 Linux
>
> This system has a boot drive and data drive.  I'm not sure if the XP
> installation is on which drive.
>
> Is best to install 16.04 from scratch, then restore backups, if so what?

I would do a complete image backup of the drive using clonezilla, then
restore that to the new disc and once you have checked it is working
ok increase the partition sizes as you like (using gparted).

Colin

Re: Replace boot drive

Jack McGee
On 05/19/2017 03:58 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 19 May 2017 at 18:29, Jack McGee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's probably time to replace my boot drive on my desktop running 16.04.  I
>> bought new 2TB spinning disk much larger than existing.

>> Is best to install 16.04 from scratch, then restore backups, if so what?
> I would do a complete image backup of the drive using clonezilla, then
> restore that to the new disc and once you have checked it is working
> ok increase the partition sizes as you like (using gparted).
>
> Colin

Thanks, I tried that.  Problem is, since this originally was an XP
machine, the boot disk is NTFS.  I want the new boot disk to be EXT4.

Clonezilla made an NTFS clone on the new drive.  Is is possible to use
Clonezilla to clone NTFS to EXT4?

Re: Replace boot drive

Colin Law
On 20 May 2017 at 21:10, Jack McGee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/19/2017 03:58 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 19 May 2017 at 18:29, Jack McGee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's probably time to replace my boot drive on my desktop running 16.04.
>>> bought new 2TB spinning disk much larger than existing.
>

>>> Is best to install 16.04 from scratch, then restore backups, if so what?
>>
>> I would do a complete image backup of the drive using clonezilla, then
>> restore that to the new disc and once you have checked it is working
>> ok increase the partition sizes as you like (using gparted).
>>
>> Colin
>

> Thanks, I tried that.  Problem is, since this originally was an XP machine,
> the boot disk is NTFS.  I want the new boot disk to be EXT4.

What have you got on the NTFS partition?

Colin

Xen

Re: Replace boot drive

Xen
Jack McGee schreef op 20-05-2017 22:10:

> Thanks, I tried that.  Problem is, since this originally was an XP
> machine, the boot disk is NTFS.  I want the new boot disk to be EXT4.

It would be kinda odd if the boot disk was NTFS. The boot disk is either
NTFS or EXT4 but not both, if you know what I mean.

What I mean is that only the partitions can be NTFS or EXT4 but the disk
itself cannot be anything; you cannot really place a filesystem directly
on disk.

So you have to partition the thing and then some partitions will be NTFS
(those for Windows) and some will be EXT4 (those for Linux).

If you are saying that the first partition (say /dev/sda1) is now NTFS,
that is because it is a Windows partition. Windows cannot really
reliably boot from any partition that is not the first partition, I'm
sure. That is why you would normally put the Linux boot partition (if
any) behind the Windows boot partition, because Linux doesn't care.

Thus, if you want to swap the order of the partitions on your drive, it
cannot really be done.

Windows needs at least one partition and it needs to sit at the
beginning, I'm sure.

> Clonezilla made an NTFS clone on the new drive.  Is is possible to use
> Clonezilla to clone NTFS to EXT4?

No, but you can't put Windows on ext4.

Re: Replace boot drive

On 20 May 2017 at 22:10, Jack McGee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   Is is possible to use Clonezilla to clone NTFS to EXT4?

What? No!

In what way would that be a "clone"?

Re: Replace boot drive

On 20 May 2017 at 22:46, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Windows cannot really reliably boot from any partition that is not the first
> partition, I'm sure.

It can, but it's potentially tricky. Windows can live almost anywhere
but the bootloader wants to be on the first *readable*, visible,
primary partition.

Re: Replace boot drive

Jack McGee
On 05/20/2017 03:46 PM, Xen wrote:
> Jack McGee schreef op 20-05-2017 22:10:
>
>> Thanks, I tried that.  Problem is, since this originally was an XP
>> machine, the boot disk is NTFS.  I want the new boot disk to be EXT4.
>
> It would be kinda odd if the boot disk was NTFS. The boot disk is either
> NTFS or EXT4 but not both, if you know what I mean.

Thanks everyone. Indeed the original boot disk was NTFS as it was
WindowsXP.  I installed Ubuntu and it put Ubuntu on a different drive
(that was also NTFS, but it created EXT4 partition for Ubuntu).

I used Clonezilla eventually to clone the Ubuntu installation to the new
drive.  I also tried to clone the NTFS drive again.  This has been a few
days, but I think it went south when some helper program in Clonezilla
suggested changing some inodes.  I let it.

After that it would only boot to emergency mode.

I ended up installing from scratch a new 16.04 onto a new partition on
new drive and moved Thunderbird and Firefox profiles to get some
semblance of my old installation.

I'm pretty sure I need to run boot-repair to sort all this out, but am
challenged now getting the computer to boot off CD or USB stick.  I
think my DVD drive is toast, when the new USB drive arrives, I will give
that a shot.  Hopefully it can find my cloned Ubuntu and original XP
partition.  If nothing else, to get back to my cloned Ubuntu
installation would be great.

Re: Replace boot drive

Jack McGee
On 05/22/2017 12:19 PM, Jack McGee wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I need to run boot-repair to sort all this out, but am
> challenged now getting the computer to boot off CD or USB stick.  I
> think my DVD drive is toast, when the new USB drive arrives, I will give
> that a shot.  Hopefully it can find my cloned Ubuntu and original XP
> partition.  If nothing else, to get back to my cloned Ubuntu
> installation would be great.

It took me awhile, but I got my cloned 16.04 installation onto the new
drive.  The Nouveau driver did not like my Nvidia GT240 card.  Boot
Repair boot disk would crash the screen.  Live install of 16.04 had
problems with screen scrambling, but I could move windows around to
clear it up.  A few times it crashed.  Finally, I got through the
Clonezilla and boot-repair.  But it still left me in emergency mode.  I
ended up commenting out some lines in fstab and got it booting
correctly.  It was not an easy process. I haven't tried yet, but I
believe my XP installation is cloned also.