Repository space

Charles Chambers
Might one ask how much space the entire repository (old and current
releases together) takes up?

I'm about to snag a copy for local use, and I need to know how long to
plan for the download.

Charlie

pEpkey.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Repository space

Carsten Otto
On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 04:16:52AM -0700, Charles Chambers wrote:
> Might one ask how much space the entire repository (old and current
> releases together) takes up?

1.3T
--
Dr. Carsten Otto
http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/

Re: Repository space

Charles Chambers
Coolness.  8T should be quite enough.  Thanks.

Charlie

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019, 4:22 AM Carsten Otto <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 04:16:52AM -0700, Charles Chambers wrote:
> Might one ask how much space the entire repository (old and current
> releases together) takes up?

1.3T
--
Dr. Carsten Otto
http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/

Re: Repository space

Brent Clark
You can bring it down by specifying only the architectures that is of
interest to you and you are willing to mirror.
I.e amd64 and i386.

If you are using ftpsync
ARCH_INCLUDE="amd64 i386 source"

HTH
Brent

On 2019/04/07 13:28, Charles Chambers wrote:

> Coolness.  8T should be quite enough.  Thanks.
>
> Charlie
>

> On Sun, Apr 7, 2019, 4:22 AM Carsten Otto
> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 04:16:52AM -0700, Charles Chambers wrote:
>      > Might one ask how much space the entire repository (old and current
>      > releases together) takes up?
>
>     1.3T
>     --
>     Dr. Carsten Otto
>     http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/

Re: Repository space

Charles Chambers
The space is not a problem.  I'm dedicating an 8TB drive to the
mirroring, and I'm bringing it down slowly enough (3mb per second) that
my provider won't get too hot about it.  If 1.3T is enough for
everything from both old-releases and from archive, then it's all good.

Charlie

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 07:36:35 +0200
> From: Brent Clark <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Repository space
>
> You can bring it down by specifying only the architectures that is of
> interest to you and you are willing to mirror.
> I.e amd64 and i386.
>
> If you are using ftpsync
> ARCH_INCLUDE="amd64 i386 source"
>
> HTH
> Brent

pEpkey.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Repository space

Thomas Ward-2

The 1.3 TB of space is for the *current* archives - i386, amd64, Sources as is on archive.ubuntu.com.  To my knowledge, this doesn't include old-releases which needs a separate sync (either ftpsync or rsync) down to disk, and probably in its own directory root unless you use some arcane black magic with your syncing.

I made an inquiry with the Mirrors Team (and therefore the Canonical sysadmins as a result), I was provided with the information that the approximate disk size on-disk for the old-releases.ubuntu.com data is about 4.2 TB.

Which means you will need 1.3TB (currently supported releases) + 4.2 TB (old-releases) for a total of 5.5TB space on disk to hold all that data.  And remember that the ubuntu archives and the old-releases archives sit on separate sync points, so you might have an *extra* long download time period, and extra bandwidth usage beyond what you initially anticipated.

Thomas

On 4/8/19 9:45 AM, Charles Chambers wrote:
The space is not a problem.  I'm dedicating an 8TB drive to the
mirroring, and I'm bringing it down slowly enough (3mb per second) that
my provider won't get too hot about it.  If 1.3T is enough for
everything from both old-releases and from archive, then it's all good.

Charlie

Message: 1

Re: Repository space

Charles Chambers

Thanks for the input.  My major concern was that 8TB was not enough space.  It still appears to be good.

I'll stick with 3072MB (bytes) per second, and give it several days to run.  The math says it'll take 4.9 days.

Charlie