Restoring the old gnome desktop

Bill Stanley
I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
right!  I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
desktop if I didn't like Unity.  I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
find how to choose the classic desktop.  On the previous version, I
could at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.

I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3.  I thought
that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice).  I looked at the Help
menu and I was unable to find it.  So the question is...  What must I do
to get back to the Gnome desktop.

Bill Stanley

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Joep L. Blom
On 26-04-12 00:09, Bill Stanley wrote:

> I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
> right! I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
> desktop if I didn't like Unity. I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
> find how to choose the classic desktop. On the previous version, I could
> at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.
>
> I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3. I thought
> that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice). I looked at the Help
> menu and I was unable to find it. So the question is... What must I do
> to get back to the Gnome desktop.
>
> Bill Stanley

Use Xubuntu.
Joep

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Ma Xiaojun
Would you try gnome-panel in 12.04 LTS?
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/gnome-panel

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Albert Wagner
On 04/25/2012 05:26 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> On 26-04-12 00:09, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
>> right! I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
>> desktop if I didn't like Unity. I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
>> find how to choose the classic desktop. On the previous version, I could
>> at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.
>>
>> I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3. I thought
>> that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice). I looked at the Help
>> menu and I was unable to find it. So the question is... What must I do
>> to get back to the Gnome desktop.
>>
>> Bill Stanley
>>
> Use Xubuntu.
> Joep

Yes,  If you want to stay with Ubuntu, then use Xubuntu.  It's actually
better than any Gnome 2 look-alike that Ubuntu is capable of.  Also,
check out SolusOS.

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Steven Davies-Morris
On 04/25/2012 03:09 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

> I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
> right! I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
> desktop if I didn't like Unity. I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
> find how to choose the classic desktop. On the previous version, I could
> at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.
>
> I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3. I thought
> that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice). I looked at the Help
> menu and I was unable to find it. So the question is... What must I do
> to get back to the Gnome desktop.
>
> Bill Stanley

This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several
months and is *great*.  I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime
here) but I promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and
get going a marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

G. -2
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Steven Davies-Morris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/25/2012 03:09 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
>>
>> I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
>> right! I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
>> desktop if I didn't like Unity. I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
>> find how to choose the classic desktop. On the previous version, I could
>> at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.
>>
>> I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3. I thought
>> that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice). I looked at the Help
>> menu and I was unable to find it. So the question is... What must I do
>> to get back to the Gnome desktop.
>>
>> Bill Stanley
>

> This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several months
> and is *great*.  I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime here) but I
> promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and get going a
> marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.
> --
> SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
> Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
> "overfulnoisecascade" CD coming soon

I installed gnome from software center in 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04.  You
can then choose that desktop when you login.  I think you can choose
Gnome classic but I'd have to go check again.

garyk

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM, G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Steven Davies-Morris
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 04/25/2012 03:09 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
>>>
>>> I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
>>> right! I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
>>> desktop if I didn't like Unity. I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
>>> find how to choose the classic desktop. On the previous version, I could
>>> at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.
>>>
>>> I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3. I thought
>>> that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice). I looked at the Help
>>> menu and I was unable to find it. So the question is... What must I do
>>> to get back to the Gnome desktop.
>>>
>>> Bill Stanley
>>

>> This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several months
>> and is *great*.  I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime here) but I
>> promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and get going a
>> marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.
>> --
>> SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
>> Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
>> "overfulnoisecascade" CD coming soon
>>

>> --
>
> I installed gnome from software center in 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04.  You
> can then choose that desktop when you login.  I think you can choose
> Gnome classic but I'd have to go check again.
>

> garyk

I have just now logged into gnome classic.  You could also choose
gnome 2d no effects.  In this version I can still switch between
desktops.  This is in 12.04.  Is this what you need?

I will now go check in 11.04.  I do not have 11.10 installed.

garyk

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM, G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM, G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Steven Davies-Morris
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several months
>>> and is *great*.  I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime here) but I
>>> promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and get going a
>>> marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.
>>> --
>>> SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
>>> Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
>>> "overfulnoisecascade" CD coming soon
>>>

>>> --
>>
>> I installed gnome from software center in 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04.  You
>> can then choose that desktop when you login.  I think you can choose
>> Gnome classic but I'd have to go check again.
>>

>> garyk
>
> I have just now logged into gnome classic.  You could also choose
> gnome 2d no effects.  In this version I can still switch between
> desou ktops.  This is in 12.04.  Is this what you need?
>
> I will now go check in 11.04.  I do not have 11.10 installed.
>
> garyk

And here I am in Gnome classic in 11.04.

After you install gnome all you have to do is logout, choose gnmome
from the menu on the bottom,  and log back in.

garyk

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

R Kimber-2
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 22:12:55 -0700
Steven Davies-Morris wrote:

> This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several
> months and is *great*.  I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime
> here) but I promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and
> get going a marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.

I've been experimenting with Mint and Gnome+MATE, and so far it seems
pretty good.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Bill Stanley
On 04/26/2012 02:39 AM, G. wrote:

< snip >

> And here I am in Gnome classic in 11.04.
>
> After you install gnome all you have to do is logout, choose gnmome
> from the menu on the bottom,  and log back in.
>
> garyk

This is sort of the gnome classic but not exactly.  I was hoping to
restore my desktop to exactly like it was before the Unity takeover of
my desktop.  I really miss being able to right click on an app in the
menu and being able place a launcher for that app on the desktop or on
the panel bar on the top of the desktop.  Also there doesn't seem to be
a was of adding or removing apps from the preferences or administration
menus like there was in Gnome 2.  (example:  I don't use bluetooth I
want to remove it or at least hide it on the menu.)  The Gnome classic
is better than Unity but it isn't Gnome 2.

< RANT ON >
I just want to work efficiently!  Changing the layout of the desktop
ruins my work flow until I learn all the ins and outs.  Just when I am
comfortable with the new way of doing things, they change things.  Using
Linux is all about having choices, why not offer a true Gnome classic
for all of us that don't want change just for the sake of changing.  You
could do internal things to improve the efficiency of the desktop
without changing the look and feel.  Unity does have its place on
tablets or other devices with small screens.  It just doesn't make sense
on desktops with a big monitor.  If this means that there are two types
of desktops, so be it!
<RANT OFF>

Bill Stanley

AW: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Lucas.Betschart

< RANT ON >
I just want to work efficiently!  Changing the layout of the desktop ruins my work flow until I learn all the ins and outs.  Just when I am comfortable with the new way of doing things, they change things.  Using Linux is all about having choices, why not offer a true Gnome classic for all of us that don't want change just for the sake of changing.  You could do internal things to improve the efficiency of the desktop without changing the look and feel.  Unity does have its place on tablets or other devices with small screens.  It just doesn't make sense on desktops with a big monitor.  If this means that there are two types of desktops, so be it!
<RANT OFF>

Bill Stanley
------------------------

There is a true Gnome 2 fork called Mate.
In my opionion it's a dead horse..

Unity discussion was hold many times on this lists, and everybody got the same response:

Use Mate, Gnome Fallback, XFCE, LXDE or the Gnome 3 with addons that it makes look like Gnome 2 (I've forgot the name).

Some people like Unity, some don't.

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Avi Greenbury-4
Bill Stanley wrote:

> I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
> right!  I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
> desktop if I didn't like Unity.  I ungraded to version 11.10 and I
> can't find how to choose the classic desktop.

Gnome 2 was available in 11.04, but 11.10 used Gnome 3, so you cannot
have the Gnome 2 environment in anything later than 11.04. There's a
few options:

* Use XFCE. This is another desktop environment that used to be
  basically a less polished Gnome (way back it was a lighter weight
  Gnome, which is where it's reason for existing came from). It is not
  Gnome 2 and a lot of things are different, but the overall feel is
  similar. To do this, you want to do
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
  or find and install xubuntu-desktop in the software centre. This wont
  remove anything else.

* Use LXDE. This is another deskop environment that's a bit less like
  Gnome 2 than XFCE generally, but some people feel it's better (and in
  some things it's also a better Gnome 2 impression). To get this, you
  want to do
     sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
  or find and install lubuntu-desktop in the software centre. This wont
  remove anything else.

* Use Cinnamon or MATE or Gnome-Panel in Gnome 3. These attempt to
  emulate the look of Gnome 2 atop Gnome 3 with varying degrees of
  success. I don't think any are officially supported in Ubuntu right
  now, but there's probably PPAs for each, or at least instructions
  knocking around.

> What must I do to get back to the Gnome desktop.

If what you want is exactly the old Gnome desktop, you need to run the
old Gnome, which means an old version of Ubuntu (or other Linux
distribution).

--
Avi

Avi Greenbury wrote:

> * Use Cinnamon or MATE or Gnome-Panel in Gnome 3. These attempt to
>   emulate the look of Gnome 2 atop Gnome 3 with varying degrees of
>   success.

Whoops. MATE is Gnome2 picked up and forked. This is a way to get
genuine Gnome 2 (depending on your definition of 'genuine Gnome 2') but
it's anybody's guess how well maintained it's going to be.

--
Avi

[hidden email] wrote:

> < RANT ON >

Please don't.

> I just want to work efficiently!  Changing the layout of the desktop
> ruins my work flow until I learn all the ins and outs.  Just when I
> am comfortable with the new way of doing things, they change things.

That's (partly) why there was the transition period with 11.04 where
you could run either, and all the publicity about how it was changing.

> Using Linux is all about having choices, why not offer a true Gnome
> classic for all of us that don't want change just for the sake of
> changing.

Nobody is stopping you picking up the code and maintaining it. That's
what MATE is doing, for example. If MATE turns out to be good and
stable and workable, has a maintainer for Ubuntu packages and
people want it, there's no reason it wont go into Ubuntu. That's how
all the rest of the packages got in.

Right now, though, Gnome2 wont be in the repositories because nobody is
maintaining it, and MATE isn't because it's not clear that it will
still be maintained at the end of the support period for current
releases.

> Unity does have its place on tablets or other devices with small
> screens.  It just doesn't make sense on desktops with a big monitor.
> If this means that there are two types of desktops, so be it!

You've clearly not tried Unity on a small monitor :)

--
Avi

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Ma Xiaojun
Gnome bug #1 (Gnome devs remove features and refuse to add any)

Just for fun, though...

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Bill Stanley
On 04/26/2012 12:26 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:

< snip >

> You've clearly not tried Unity on a small monitor :)

That's my point entirely!  Unity does have a place on a small monitor
but it's not too good on a large monitor where there is plenty of
desktop.  The large icons look HUGE on a large monitor for one.  On a
tablet I think Unity would look and work fine.  All I am objecting to is
forcing people to use it (especially on large monitors).

Bill Stanley

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Christoph
Am 26.04.2012 19:25, schrieb Bill Stanley:

> On 04/26/2012 12:26 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>
> < snip >
>
>> You've clearly not tried Unity on a small monitor :)
>
> That's my point entirely! On a tablet I think Unity would look and
> work fine.  All I am objecting to is forcing people to use it
> (especially on large monitors).
>
> Bill Stanley

Youre right on that =)
I use 11.10 on a Lenovo X61T, works quite nice, but i cant use the
overlay as i want, 'cause Onboard doesn't work with the Super and Alt
Key, only for Shortcuts. Maybe ill google it, there must be a way fixing
this. But back to Topic: Unity does better than Gnome. And I dont miss
Gnome (well, didnt use it much, primary computer is Win7)

Just say'in.

Regards, C. H.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Bill Stanley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/26/2012 12:26 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>
> < snip >
>

>> You've clearly not tried Unity on a small monitor :)
>

> That's my point entirely!  Unity does have a place on a small monitor but
> it's not too good on a large monitor where there is plenty of desktop.  The
> large icons look HUGE on a large monitor for one.  On a tablet I think Unity
> would k and work fine.  All I am objecting to is forcing people to use it
> (especially on large monitors).
>
> Bill Stanley

You can reduce the size of the icons.  Under compiz, chose unity
plugin.  The size option is there.

garyk

On 04/26/2012 08:31 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:

> On 04/26/2012 02:39 AM, G. wrote:
>
> < snip >
>
>> And here I am in Gnome classic in 11.04.
>>
>> After you install gnome all you have to do is logout, choose gnmome
>> from the menu on the bottom, and log back in.
>>
>> garyk
>
> This is sort of the gnome classic but not exactly. I was hoping to
> restore my desktop to exactly like it was before the Unity takeover of
> my desktop. I really miss being able to right click on an app in the
> menu and being able place a launcher for that app on the desktop or on
> the panel bar on the top of the desktop. Also there doesn't seem to be a
> was of adding or removing apps from the preferences or administration
> menus like there was in Gnome 2. (example: I don't use bluetooth I want
> to remove it or at least hide it on the menu.) The Gnome classic is
> better than Unity but it isn't Gnome 2.
>
> < RANT ON >
> I just want to work efficiently! Changing the layout of the desktop
> ruins my work flow until I learn all the ins and outs. Just when I am
> comfortable with the new way of doing things, they change things. Using
> Linux is all about having choices, why not offer a true Gnome classic
> for all of us that don't want change just for the sake of changing. You
> could do internal things to improve the efficiency of the desktop
> without changing the look and feel. Unity does have its place on tablets
> or other devices with small screens. It just doesn't make sense on
> desktops with a big monitor. If this means that there are two types of
> desktops, so be it!
> <RANT OFF>
>
> Bill Stanley

Here's what you want. Links for the Maté Gnome 2 fork, which has come a
long way in 7 months. It's working well for me on several machines. It
can be acquired thus:

step 1
$wget -O install_mate.sh http://goo.gl/JoNRI

step 2
$chmod +x ./install_mate.sh

step 3
$./install_mate.sh

Or you can get a remix download CD with no Unity anywhere here:

step 1
$http://goo.gl/XwfMY

step 2
unzip, burn, boot, install.

Here's the long-version thread at ubuntuforums (26 pages on it, jump in
at about page 23 is my suggestion):

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11333073>
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
"overfulnoisecascade" CD coming soon

Re: Restoring the old gnome desktop

Cybe R. Wizard-3
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:14:44 +0100
Avi Greenbury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Use XFCE. This is another desktop environment that used to be
>   basically a less polished Gnome (way back it was a lighter weight
>   Gnome, which is where it's reason for existing came from). It is not
>   Gnome 2 and a lot of things are different, but the overall feel is
>   similar. To do this, you want to do
>     sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>   or find and install xubuntu-desktop in the software centre. This
> wont remove anything else.

That will add a lot of things for which a normal Ubuntu installation
will already have included software for.  A simple <sudo apt-get
install xfce4> should do it.  That will get only the window manager and
associated dependencies instead of everything and the kitchen sink that
you get with a Xubuntu-desktop installation.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
        Larry Niven, Steven Barnes