Restricted Multimedia Formats - The Post-Install Wizard

Restricted Multimedia Formats - The Post-Install Wizard

Santiago Roza-2
Continuing with "Restricted Multimedia Formats - The Problem" ...
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-February/015770.html

... and "Restricted Multimedia Formats - The Solutions" ...
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-February/015772.html

*** Restricted Multimedia Formats - The Post-Install Wizard ***

This is the basic specification for the "Post-Install Multimedia
Wizard", one of the two solutions proposed [here] for the Restricted
Multimedia Formats problem described [here].

The idea is to add support for as many multimedia formats as possible
(MP3, DVDs, DivX, etc), in a semi-automated way, taking into account
legal restrictions.

The Wizard should basically work this way:

1) After Ubuntu's installation, present a standard dialog to the user.
 It could pop automatically, or on request (via Desktop shortcut?).
The text of that dialog could be something like this:

" We can proudly say that Free Software offers excellent support for
the most popular multimedia formats (like MP3, MPEG-4 "DivX", or even
encrypted DVDs).

But unluckily, certain restrictions (such as software patents) make it
illegal to distribute Ubuntu with such support, in certain countries
like the United States of America or Japan.

If you live in a country with such restrictions, please click
"Cancel".  You'll be able to play some restricted formats by
installing non-Free Software (like RealPlayer), or keep enjoying
content in Free formats (like Ogg Vorbis audio or Theora video).

If you live in a country without those restrictions, feel free to
install the necessary packages to unlock restricted formats, by
clicking on "OK". "

2) If the user clicks on "Cancel", the dialog could just close, or
offer him the option of installing RealPlayer automatically.

3) If the user clicks on "OK", the Wizard would then add the necessary
repositories to the sources list (Universe, Multiverse, and Penguin
Liberation Front), and download / install the necessary packages
(GStreamer plugins including FFmpeg, and libdvdcss2).

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra

formats-wizard.txt (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Restricted Multimedia Formats - The Post-Install Wizard

Matthew Paul Thomas

On 2/26/06, Matthew Paul Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You would be more likely to get this implemented by writing it up on
> the Ubuntu wiki ...

yeah, i've been told that already (and so i've done); thanks anyway.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormatsAssistant

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra