Restricted Multimedia Formats - wikified

Restricted Multimedia Formats - wikified

Santiago Roza-2
i've just moved this into the wiki.  sorry for spamming the list
before; i just thought this was the right place to discuss it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormatsProblem
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormatsSolutions
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormatsWizard

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra

Re: Restricted Multimedia Formats - wikified

zach-7
Wonder if we could interest someone at the EFF in giving it a glance
to ensure any discussions of what is and isn't legal is technically
accurate?

On 2/22/06, Santiago Roza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i've just moved this into the wiki.  sorry for spamming the list
> before; i just thought this was the right place to discuss it.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormatsProblem
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormatsSolutions
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormatsWizard
>

> --
> Santiago Roza
> Departamento I+D - Thymbra

Re: Restricted Multimedia Formats - wikified

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy
I think there is a problem with dialog texts proposed at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormatsAssistant. Imagine a first time
user (switching from Windows) reading this dialog (imagine that the user
didn't just click something to get rid of an annoying window, but
actually spent some time to read it). The first thing that would pop
into his/her mind would be "But under Windows all these things just
work! Why would it be illegal under Linux to play DVD and MP3? Maybe
Microsoft is right and Linux IS an operating system for pirates?" et
cetera, et cetera. Maybe since such an assistant is already forcing the
user to read some text, we should come up with a good, concise
explanation of why these things are illegal specifically under Linux.

On 2/23/06, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe since such an assistant is already forcing the
> user to read some text, we should come up with a good, concise
> explanation of why these things are illegal specifically under Linux.

i've been told to take this to the wiki and so i've done, so i suggest
we all do the same.

btw: some people wants less text (because it's "annoying"), the others
want more text (because it's "not enough")... i guess one just can't
keep everyone happy.

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra