Restricting the Open Internet - is this a threat to Open Source

Restricting the Open Internet - is this a threat to Open Source

mh-dixon
Hi.  Apology if this is out of order, but if as "Windows free at last!"
suggests Microsoft may be peeved at LibreOffice etc they might just try
it on.

The US and the EU are on the verge of giving rich corporations the right
to control what we all see online -- but we can stop it if we build the
largest call for a democratic and free Internet ever. Join me in this
campaign here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/internet_apocalypse_pa_eu/?kbnbtab

Martin(:

Re: Restricting the Open Internet - is this a threat to Open Source

Gordon Burgess-Parker-5

On 31/01/14 07:25, Martin Dixon wrote:

> Hi.  Apology if this is out of order, but if as "Windows free at last!"
> suggests Microsoft may be peeved at LibreOffice etc they might just try
> it on.
>
> The US and the EU are on the verge of giving rich corporations the right
> to control what we all see online -- but we can stop it if we build the
> largest call for a democratic and free Internet ever. Join me in this
> campaign here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/internet_apocalypse_pa_eu/?kbnbtab
>
> Martin(:

Done!

Re: Restricting the Open Internet - is this a threat to Open Source

Tony Scott-2

Re: Restricting the Open Internet - is this a threat to Open Source

Pete Smout-2

On 31/01/14 11:32, Tony Scott wrote:

> On 31 January 2014 07:25, Martin Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Join me in this
>> campaign here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/internet_apocalypse_pa_eu/?kbnbtab
>
> Already signed up!
>
> --
> Tony Scott
> http://tonyscott.org.uk

Hi,

Signed ant now spreading the word....

Thanks

Pete S

Re: Restricting the Open Internet - is this a threat to Open Source

Avi Greenbury-4
Martin Dixon wrote:

> The US and the EU are on the verge of giving rich corporations the
> right to control what we all see online -- but we can stop it if we
> build the largest call for a democratic and free Internet ever. Join
> me in this campaign here:
> http://www.avaaz.org/en/internet_apocalypse_pa_eu/?kbnbtab

What does signing up here achieve? Aren't avaaz petitions basically a
more feel-good version of a Facebook like?

--
Avi

On 31/01/14 11:45, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Martin Dixon wrote:
>
>> The US and the EU are on the verge of giving rich corporations the
>> right to control what we all see online -- but we can stop it if we
>> build the largest call for a democratic and free Internet ever. Join
>> me in this campaign here:
>> http://www.avaaz.org/en/internet_apocalypse_pa_eu/?kbnbtab
> What does signing up here achieve? Aren't avaaz petitions basically a
> more feel-good version of a Facebook like?

Hi,

Before this post gets modded! Democracy is changing before our eyes, the
old school political elite are extinct, (they're just realising it and
trying to slow down their inevitable demise)  old party lines are
defunct, peoples beliefs and ideals no-longer match those of the ruling
class. Sites such as avaaz, change.org et al are the future of democracy
and even if this particular petition achieves nothing, we the people
should feel privileged to be in at the beginning of something wonderful
not questioning it's effectiveness!

Just my rant out of the way!!

Sorry to the mods this has wondered way off-topic

Pete S

Re: Restricting the Open Internet - is this a threat to Open Source

Gordon Burgess-Parker-5
On 31/01/14 11:45, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Martin Dixon wrote:
>
>> The US and the EU are on the verge of giving rich corporations the
>> right to control what we all see online -- but we can stop it if we
>> build the largest call for a democratic and free Internet ever. Join
>> me in this campaign here:
>> http://www.avaaz.org/en/internet_apocalypse_pa_eu/?kbnbtab
> What does signing up here achieve? Aren't avaaz petitions basically a
> more feel-good version of a Facebook like?

I think that ANY method of disseminating this threat has to be good,
even if it's only a "feel-good version of Facebook"... :-)