Root passwd

Gary Hodder
Hi all,
I just installed Kubuntu for the first time. During the install it never
asked for a root passwd. Is there a default passwd for root or a way to
add one? Tried "linux single" as root but grub wont allow this.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Gary.

Re: Root passwd

David Hart-3

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

Re: Root passwd

Quique-2
Hello world! I'm new at kubuntu but I think I can help Gary.

try this:

sudo su
(if it asks for a pass type yours)
passwd root
(now type a pass for root twice and that's all)

by

2005/11/12, Gary Hodder <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
> I just installed Kubuntu for the first time. During the install it never
> asked for a root passwd. Is there a default passwd for root or a way to
> add one? Tried "linux single" as root but grub wont allow this.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Gary.

Quique

Re: Root passwd

Steve Turnbull-3
On Saturday 12 November 2005 08:20, Gary Hodder wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just installed Kubuntu for the first time. During the install it never
> asked for a root passwd. Is there a default passwd for root or a way to
> add one? Tried "linux single" as root but grub wont allow this.
> Any ideas?

Yes - just use sudo - see above reply. It is far more secure, if a little less
convenient. If you run an application using sudo (say 'sudo kcontrol') you
will be asked for *your* password. You will then be using kcontrol with full
privileges. It will also store (by default - can be changed) you session as
sudo for 15mins, so you wont have to keep typing your password if using the
shell continuously.

The first user that gets created on the OS (you) at install, has full admin
privileges when using sudo.

To stay logged in as sudo type (essentially the same as using su)

sudo -s
<yourpassword>

This way your history and other information are stored in you account.
Remember to log out of it again (CTRL + D)

It is possible to create a password for su, but why would you want to do that.
su is a limited account (as far as I am aware) which will struggle to run
some X applications.

--
Steve Turnbull

Digital Content Developer
YHGfL Foundation

e [hidden email]
t 01724 275 030

Re: Root passwd

George E. Murch Jr.
Gary Hodder wrote:

>Hi all,
>I just installed Kubuntu for the first time. During the install it never
>asked for a root passwd. Is there a default passwd for root or a way to
>add one? Tried "linux single" as root but grub wont allow this.
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>Gary.

Sudo su