Run From Pocket Drive Installer Option?

Jono Bacon-3
Hi All,

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask, but one of the most
interesting and valuable features in Ubuntu for me, is the ability to
run an installation entirely from a USB disk. This is also particularly
attractive for encouraging our community to test developer releases and
help us bug reporting, triage, and fixing.

Today the installer has two options:

      * Try Ubuntu
      * Install Ubuntu

I am wondering if we should provide a third option for those who have
booted from a USB disk with persistance switched on: "Run Ubuntu From
Your Pocket Driver" (or some better wording), which will allow you to
use the USB stick as the main disk.

I think this could be a really valuable feature for (a) people trying
Ubuntu in more real-world situations where they set up their email, chat
accounts etc and run it from the USB stick, and (b) help us with
testing.

Is anyone working on this today?

        Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager

Re: Run From Pocket Drive Installer Option?

Dustin Kirkland-5
--
:-Dustin

8, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Jono Bacon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Apologies if this is not the right place to ask, but one of the most
> interesting and valuable features in Ubuntu for me, is the ability to
> run an installation entirely from a USB disk. This is also particularly
> attractive for encouraging our community to test developer releases and
> help us bug reporting, triage, and fixing.
>
> Today the installer has two options:
>
>      * Try Ubuntu
>      * Install Ubuntu
>
> I am wondering if we should provide a third option for those who have
> booted from a USB disk with persistance switched on: "Run Ubuntu From
> Your Pocket Driver" (or some better wording), which will allow you to
> use the USB stick as the main disk.
>
> I think this could be a really valuable feature for (a) people trying
> Ubuntu in more real-world situations where they set up their email, chat
> accounts etc and run it from the USB stick, and (b) help us with
> testing.

We could probably just detect if you have a persistence file on the
media, and if there's anything of value in it, and if so, then change
the verbiage from "Try Ubuntu" to "Launch Your Live Ubuntu" or
something more appropriate.

:-Dustin

On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 17:50 -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> We could probably just detect if you have a persistence file on the
> media, and if there's anything of value in it, and if so, then change
> the verbiage from "Try Ubuntu" to "Launch Your Live Ubuntu" or
> something more appropriate.

I think that would work great. Is this specced out in anyone's planned
work?

        Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager
jono(at)ubuntu(dot)com
www.ubuntu.com : www.jonobacon.org
www.twitter.com/jonobacon : www.identi.ca/jonobacon

Re: Run From Pocket Drive Installer Option?

Nuno Paquete

No dia 18 de Nov de 2010, às 23:50, Dustin Kirkland <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> --
> :-Dustin
>
> 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Jono Bacon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Apologies if this is not the right place to ask, but one of the most
>> interesting and valuable features in Ubuntu for me, is the ability to
>> run an installation entirely from a USB disk. This is also particularly
>> attractive for encouraging our community to test developer releases and
>> help us bug reporting, triage, and fixing.
>>
>> Today the installer has two options:
>>
>>      * Try Ubuntu
>>      * Install Ubuntu
>>
>> I am wondering if we should provide a third option for those who have
>> booted from a USB disk with persistance switched on: "Run Ubuntu From
>> Your Pocket Driver" (or some better wording), which will allow you to
>> use the USB stick as the main disk.
>>
>> I think this could be a really valuable feature for (a) people trying
>> Ubuntu in more real-world situations where they set up their email, chat
>> accounts etc and run it from the USB stick, and (b) help us with
>> testing.
>
> We could probably just detect if you have a persistence file on the
> media, and if there's anything of value in it, and if so, then change
> the verbiage from "Try Ubuntu" to "Launch Your Live Ubuntu" or
> something more appropriate.
>
> :-Dustin

I think you should try to detect persistence file on the USB stick. This way we could run our personalized OS on every diferent machine.
This would be a great alternative to live CDs, it stays in the middle of a live CD and a hard disk installation.

Nuno Paquete

Re: Run From Pocket Drive Installer Option?

Mario Limonciello-2
On 11/18/2010 05:50 PM, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
We could probably just detect if you have a persistence file on the
media, and if there's anything of value in it, and if so, then change
the verbiage from "Try Ubuntu" to "Launch Your Live Ubuntu" or
something more appropriate.
As a step further, if the persistence file is there, and you click Try Ubuntu, maybe it would be worthwhile to just avoid launching Ubiquity in maybe mode in the future from that stick.

--
Mario Limonciello