Running Google Talk on ubuntu

George-170
The only reason I keep booting into windows is to use the voice chat
feature of google talk. It doesn't work with wine atm and I can connect
to google talk's servers with gaim but you have to have the official
client to use the voice chat.

This functionality is vital to me, I have installed skype but it gives
me problems (laggy in both windows and linux versions.)

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

chrisccoulson

Have you tried gnomemeeting? It allows voice and video chats using H.323

--
sciurus

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

Scott-22
Giorgos wrote:
> The only reason I keep booting into windows is to use the voice chat
> feature of google talk. It doesn't work with wine atm and I can connect
> to google talk's servers with gaim but you have to have the official
> client to use the voice chat.
>
> This functionality is vital to me, I have installed skype but it gives
> me problems (laggy in both windows and linux versions.)

So then are you asking for suggestions?

Off the top of my head, I'd say check out http://www.gizmoproject.com/ .

They have Debian packages.  I've never tried Gizmo myself but I've heard
it's better than Skype.

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

Serg Belokamen
Its rather ironic isn't it. Google, company essentialy built on Linux
technologies does not provide Linux clients to users. A very nice
thank you in did. Do no evil my ass.

  Serg

On 14/12/05, Giorgos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The only reason I keep booting into windows is to use the voice chat
> feature of google talk. It doesn't work with wine atm and I can connect
> to google talk's servers with gaim but you have to have the official
> client to use the voice chat.
>
> This functionality is vital to me, I have installed skype but it gives
> me problems (laggy in both windows and linux versions.)

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

Senectus .
On 12/14/05, Serg Belokamen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Its rather ironic isn't it. Google, company essentialy built on Linux
> technologies does not provide Linux clients to users. A very nice
> thank you in did. Do no evil my ass.

as I understand it this is actually in the works.
>From what I've read they're working quite closely with the GAIM
project to give GAIM voip capability. (rumour has it, at the cost of
the GAIM video project - ***please note I might be waaay off base
here***)

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
  I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

Matt Galvin
On 12/13/05, Senectus . <[hidden email]> wrote:
> as I understand it this is actually in the works.
> >From what I've read they're working quite closely with the GAIM
> project to give GAIM voip capability. (rumour has it, at the cost of
> the GAIM video project - ***please note I might be waaay off base
> here***)
The guy who writes GAIM was hired by Google and Google Talk should be
supported by GAIM 2 when its ready.

Matt

--
Matt T. Galvin
[hidden email]

Scott Wrote:
> Off the top of my head, I'd say check out http://www.gizmoproject.com/
> .

> They have Debian packages.  I've never tried Gizmo myself but I've
> heard

> it's better than Skype.

i support gizmo for the fact that they are a linux-related company, and
that they are built on open standards.

however, having both gizmo and skype on both windows xp and ubuntu
breezy, my experience tells me tat yes, while gizmo sounds better than
skype, the reliability nomination at this moment goes to skype. skype
just works out of the box, with hardly any interruption during calls. i
can't say the same for gizmo, as it seems to have problems even setting
itself up.

eg1. my friend's skype on windows xp works perfectly, but his windows
gizmo (downloaded just 2-3 days ago, so it's quite recent) could not
produce any sound. he could hear me, but i can't hear him. he was using
a laptop's built-in microphone.

no matter how we cut it, it remains a fact tat gizmo couldn't detect a
microphone hardware on a windows machine tat skype could.

eg2. then again, on my linux system, gizmo almost always fail to appear
as an icon in my system tray if my internet connection is off. however,
skype simply remains as an icon in the same tray, and waits for a
connection. once the net is up, skype signs in quietly. as for gizmo, i
have to cancel the earlier "failed" attempt and then manually re-sign
in.

also, if gizmo comes as an '-autopackage-'
(http://www.autopackage.org), it will be very easy to install on any
linux system. then skype can perhaps say goodbye permanently from my
pc, since gizmo for linux would have differentiated itself from the
former.

--
rykel

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

(रेवंत) Revant Nandgaonkar

On 12/14/05, 'Forum Post <[hidden email]> wrote:

Scott Wrote:
> Off the top of my head, I'd say check out http://www.gizmoproject.com/
> .

Instead use gaim-vv, its the gaim with voice and video, I build the deb's for it. but dont know where to upload them.

revant

try http://www.megaupload.com and others can host them too..

--
Gandalf

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

chrisccoulson

(रेवंत) Revant Nandgaonkar Wrote:

> Instead use gaim-vv, its the gaim with voice and video, I build the
> deb's

> for it. but dont know where to upload them.

> revant

if you build a Gaim with Voice & Video 'Autopackage'
(http://www.autopackage.org), mike hearn might be able to help you host
it.

my gaim is an autopackage and i refrain from using any non-autopackage
versions of gaim as much as possible, as they are usually outdated and
proprietary to their distributions.

so please don't use deb if possible, so tat our fedora, suse and
non-debian friends can use ur special-version gaim too. after all, the
official gaim is an autopackage also. or make a deb as an optional
bonus. *use autopackage.*

--
rykel

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

(रेवंत) Revant Nandgaonkar
My .deb can make a way into backports? can it?, i can also alien it into many other package managers.

revant

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 21:56 -0500, 'Forum Post wrote:

> i support gizmo for the fact that they are a linux-related company, and
> that they are built on open standards.
>

> however, having both gizmo and skype on both windows xp and ubuntu
> breezy, my experience tells me tat yes, while gizmo sounds better than
> skype, the reliability nomination at this moment goes to skype. skype
> just works out of the box, with hardly any interruption during calls. i
> can't say the same for gizmo, as it seems to have problems even setting
> itself up.
>

> eg1. my friend's skype on windows xp works perfectly, but his windows
> gizmo (downloaded just 2-3 days ago, so it's quite recent) could not
> produce any sound. he could hear me, but i can't hear him. he was using
> a laptop's built-in microphone.

Well, Skype has given me all sorts of trouble on windows and linux. I'm
talking with someone who uses a 56k connection every night. With Skype
it's barely possible, lag is reaching over 30s most of the time (windows
and linux). With Google Talk it works. Without any lag.

I don't think gaim-vv would let me chat with google talk clients. Isn't
there a way to run Google Talk in some emulator or something?

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

chrisccoulson

I can host it for you at my site revant.

Akshay

--
alamba

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

Bugzilla from Christian@draugr.de
Am Mittwoch, den 14.12.2005, 03:45 +0200 schrieb Giorgos:
> The only reason I keep booting into windows is to use the voice chat
> feature of google talk. It doesn't work with wine atm and I can connect
> to google talk's servers with gaim but you have to have the official
> client to use the voice chat.
>
> This functionality is vital to me, I have installed skype but it gives
> me problems (laggy in both windows and linux versions.)

You should wait until friday. Then a now version of gaim is going to be
released and it will ship support for google talk's voice chat.

See http://gaim.sourceforge.net/ for more information about this.

Regards,
Christian

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

Eric Dunbar
Great. Yet another POSITIVE comment coming out of the Linux
"community" (whatever that may be... open source/Linux fandamentalism
is harmful IMNSHO).

>From Google Talk:
"5. What protocols are used for voice calls?

Google Talk supports a custom XMPP-based signaling protocol and
peer-to-peer communication mechanism. We will fully document this
protocol. In the near future, we plan to support SIP signaling.

6. Which voice codecs do you support?

Today, Google Talk supports the following standard voice codecs: PCMA,
PCMU, G.723, iLBC. We are also evaluating the Speex codec. We also
support codecs from Global IP Sound: ISAC, IPCMWB, EG711U, EG711A"

"3. Do you plan to support the Google Talk client on other platforms?

We look forward to the Google Talk client supporting Linux and Mac OSX
in the future."

Take deep breath. Step on soap box.

I am tired of hearing people whinge about open source and/or Linux and
how companies/individuals should jump to support their favourite
distro without providing the company with incentive or reason to do
so. Just because is not good enough!

To set the record straight re: Google Talk, Linux and the obligations
of Linux users re: others.

A. Linux is provided with only one string attached!
Changes/improvements to the software covered by the licence(s) must be
made available to others. NOTHING MORE! No other legal or moral
obligation gets placed on the user regarding their own software/other
software. NONE!!! ABSOLUTELY NONE

If we reason that merely because a company (e.g. Google) _uses_ Linux
they are obligated to write software for Linux (for free ($$$)
presumbly), then we can also reason that every single individual USER
of Linux who uses Linux in their professional lives (or personal
lives), then they owe the wider "Linux community" their services FOR
FREE!

B. Dealing with FACTS.

(General comment... see two paragraphs below) Resources are FINITE.
Linux on the desktop is a TINY market (vs. Windows) with little
potential to SELL software. Most Linuxers expect FREE ($$$) software,
and, some purists demand free (code) software (the two groups are NOT
necessarily the same). Neither of these attitudes are conducive to the
SALE of software (reminder: see 2 para below before commenting)

>From a practical point of view it makes little sense to devote
resources to making an app for a group of platforms which comprise a
tiny portion of the paying market. Mac OS X is a better choice because
it's one platform, has a respectable number of users (vs. desktop
Linux... to paraphrase the US comment on the EU governance model...
"who do we consult when we want to code for `Linux'?"), and, is a
great spring-board for going to Linux given that Mac OS X is a full
blown *nix (that doesn't change every five minutes or has a wide range
of configuration issues).

PS Granted, Google doesn't make its money off selling user-level
software (except for Google Earth so far), but, that still doesn't
mean they should run out and write software IMMEDIATELY (when they
state they will do so eventually) which is going to divert scarce
resources from other worthwhile projects (and, arguably Google is
doing AMAZING things with their scarce resources... Google Maps really
is giving the others a run for their money... I haven't use MapQuest
for aeons and Yahoo Maps is only pulled up in rare occasions).

B. Part two: See the quotes above. According to their OWN statements,
Google IS planning on Mac OS X and Linux versions! And, Google WILL
release the information needed for 3rd parties to do voice chat with
Google Talk (and, someone else on this list posted that one of the
authors of GAIM has established ties with Google Talk).

Take deep breath. End of soap box rant!

Eric.

On 12/13/05, Serg Belokamen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Its rather ironic isn't it. Google, company essentialy built on Linux
> technologies does not provide Linux clients to users. A very nice
> thank you in did. Do no evil my ass.
>
>   Serg
>
> On 14/12/05, Giorgos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The only reason I keep booting into windows is to use the voice chat
> > feature of google talk. It doesn't work with wine atm and I can connect
> > to google talk's servers with gaim but you have to have the official
> > client to use the voice chat.
> >
> > This functionality is vital to me, I have installed skype but it gives
> > me problems (laggy in both windows and linux versions.)

Re: Running Google Talk on ubuntu

Aaron Kiley
Mate you should get out more......

On 14/12/05, Eric Dunbar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

authors of GAIM has established ties with Google Talk).

Take deep breath. End of soap box rant!

Eric.

On 12/13/05, Serg Belokamen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Its rather ironic isn't it. Google, company essentialy built on Linux
> technologies does not provide Linux clients to users. A very nice
> thank you in did. Do no evil my ass.
>
>   Serg
>
> On 14/12/05, Giorgos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The only reason I keep booting into windows is to use the voice chat
> > feature of google talk. It doesn't work with wine atm and I can connect
> > to google talk's servers with gaim but you have to have the official
> > client to use the voice chat.
> >
> > This functionality is vital to me, I have installed skype but it gives
> > me problems (laggy in both windows and linux versions.)

this might interest you:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/16/070245&tid=217&tid=215&tid=95

"Jabber has published the experimental draft Jingle specs, which
extend XMPP for use in voice over IP (VoIP), video, and other
peer-to-peer multimedia sessions. Google released an open-source
library called 'Libjingle' on SourceForge. Libjingle is a set of
components provided by Google that let your programs interoperate with
Google Talk's peer-to-peer and voice calling capabilities. The package
includes source code for Google's implementation of Jingle and
Jingle-Audio."