SCSI drivers built into kernel

Michael Moore-2
Would it be possible to have the "mesh" and "sd_mod" kernel modules
built into future kernels for PowerPC?

I know OldWorld Macs aren't supported, but just having those two built
in would let me not have to build a custom kernel for my old machines.
I suspect others may be in the same boat.

Michael Moore

Re: SCSI drivers built into kernel

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On di, 2005-11-15 at 11:08 -0700, Michael Moore wrote:
> Would it be possible to have the "mesh" and "sd_mod" kernel modules
> built into future kernels for PowerPC?
>
> I know OldWorld Macs aren't supported, but just having those two built
> in would let me not have to build a custom kernel for my old machines.
> I suspect others may be in the same boat.

Enhancement requests should be filed in bugzilla (in this case the
package would be 'linux'), so they can be tracked.
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Re: SCSI drivers built into kernel

Ben Collins-3
Before filing, tell me, why doesn't it work with initramfs? If it's
missing something like a PCI module table, then that's the better
solution.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:08:58AM -0700, Michael Moore wrote:

> Would it be possible to have the "mesh" and "sd_mod" kernel modules
> built into future kernels for PowerPC?
>
> I know OldWorld Macs aren't supported, but just having those two built
> in would let me not have to build a custom kernel for my old machines.
> I suspect others may be in the same boat.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Michael Moore

   Ben Collins <[hidden email]>
   Developer
   Ubuntu Linux

Re: SCSI drivers built into kernel

Adam Conrad
Ben Collins wrote:

> Before filing, tell me, why doesn't it work with initramfs? If it's
> missing something like a PCI module table, then that's the better
> solution.

It's probably something like that, yes.  MESH is ancient code, and
poorly (if at all) maintained.  The only driver on my OldWorld that
throws a mess of deprecation warnings during a kernel compile.

If someone wants to bring it up to date with the New World Order
(dragging it through the 3 or 4 New World Orders it's probably missed
out on), that'd be great, but I can't see anyone caring terribly much (I
never have, despite the fleeting urge to look at it every time I compile
a kernel and see it complain).

... Adam