SOLVED (?): map view missing from digikam in Ubuntu 16.04

SOLVED (?): map view missing from digikam in Ubuntu 16.04

M. Fioretti-2
Greetings again.

I asked on the digikam list, and the [edited] answer was:

> digiKam 4.12.0 is REALLY old now... previously, official
> package drop marble [and consequently, geolocation] support
> for obscure reasons... In all case, please use the Linux
> universal AppImage instead of the official package.

so I installed 5.7 appimage as described here:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017/06/digikam-5-6-0-released-how-to-install-it-in-ubuntu/

and indeed map view works in that version. ONLY problem so far is that I
cannot easily select a rectangular area to find which pictures belong to
it. 2 times out of 3, when I drag the cursor to do that, what I get is
that the whole google map is dragged by the cursor.

Comments on whether this was or not the best solution, best practices
for appimages, or on when Ubuntu 16.04 may get digikam 5 packages are
welcome.

Thanks,
Marco.

--