[SRU][Bionic/raspi2][PATCH] UBUNTU: [Config] Remove upstream mmc modules

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[SRU][Bionic/raspi2][PATCH] UBUNTU: [Config] Remove upstream mmc modules

Adam Smith
Buglink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1762835

The Bionic Linux-raspi2 kernel has both the upstream and downstream pi
mmc modules enabled. Running the latest server image users can see
this error in dmesg:

Error: Driver 'sdhost-bcm2835' is already registered, aborting...

Due to this error the pi server image is failing a testcase on the iso
tracker.  It is also not clear to users what mmc modules are in use.

The attached patch removes the upstream mmc modules from the kernel config.


Signed-off-by: Adam Smith [hidden email]

---


diff -uprN a/debian.raspi2/config/config.common.ubuntu
b/debian.raspi2/config/config.common.ubuntu
--- a/debian.raspi2/config/config.common.ubuntu 2018-04-11
21:52:48.000000000 +0000
+++ b/debian.raspi2/config/config.common.ubuntu 2018-04-11
22:50:17.215569046 +0000
@@ -3456,7 +3456,7 @@ CONFIG_MMA9553=m
 CONFIG_MMC=y
 CONFIG_MMC35240=m
 CONFIG_MMC_ARMMMCI=y
-CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835=y
+# CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835 is not set
 CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835_DMA=y
 CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835_MMC=y
 CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835_PIO_DMA_BARRIER=2
@@ -3474,7 +3474,7 @@ CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI=y
 CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_CADENCE=m
 CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_F_SDH30=m
 CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_IO_ACCESSORS=y
-CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_IPROC=m
+# CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_IPROC is not set
 CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_OF_ARASAN=m
 CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_OF_AT91=m
 # CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_OMAP is not set

--
kernel-team mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SRU][Bionic/raspi2][PATCH] UBUNTU: [Config] Remove upstream mmc modules

Paolo Pisati-5
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM, Adam Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Buglink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1762835
>
> The Bionic Linux-raspi2 kernel has both the upstream and downstream pi
> mmc modules enabled. Running the latest server image users can see
> this error in dmesg:
>
> Error: Driver 'sdhost-bcm2835' is already registered, aborting...
>
> Due to this error the pi server image is failing a testcase on the iso
> tracker.  It is also not clear to users what mmc modules are in use.
>

When you say that the server image fails a testcase, what do you mean?
Does it fail to install? Or does it only print a warning?

To switch the mmc driver so close to the release we need a very good
reason (or a critical bug).
--
bye,
p.

--
kernel-team mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SRU][Bionic/raspi2][PATCH] UBUNTU: [Config] Remove upstream mmc modules

Adam Smith
The test case says to check dmesg for errors -
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/384/builds/170472/testcases/1464/results
.  There is an error message, therefore it fails the test case.

I'm not proposing to switch drivers.  I'm proposing to remove the
conflicting drivers that shouldn't be in use.  If people want to use
the upstream mmc drivers for some particular reason then they can use
the generic kernels with uboot/uefi/grub2.

I honestly don't see the problem. I've built the kernel with the
patch.  It still works.  Surely it is better to fix this before
release?

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 9:39 AM, Paolo Pisati
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM, Adam Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Buglink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1762835
>>
>> The Bionic Linux-raspi2 kernel has both the upstream and downstream pi
>> mmc modules enabled. Running the latest server image users can see
>> this error in dmesg:
>>
>> Error: Driver 'sdhost-bcm2835' is already registered, aborting...
>>
>> Due to this error the pi server image is failing a testcase on the iso
>> tracker.  It is also not clear to users what mmc modules are in use.
>>
>
> When you say that the server image fails a testcase, what do you mean?
> Does it fail to install? Or does it only print a warning?
>
> To switch the mmc driver so close to the release we need a very good
> reason (or a critical bug).
> --
> bye,
> p.

--
kernel-team mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SRU][Bionic/raspi2][PATCH] UBUNTU: [Config] Remove upstream mmc modules

Adam Smith
>> To switch the mmc driver so close to the release we need a very good
>> reason (or a critical bug).
>> --
>> bye,
>> p.

I've added some more dmesg logs to the bug that show the patch does
NOT switch the mmc drivers that are in use.  The downstream drivers
are the ones in use as far as I can tell.  It is not clear to the
casual viewer what is going on though, which is why I think a clear
config is important.  The patch matches the defconfig and that used by
raspbian/recommended by the raspberry pi foundation.  It is therefore
well tested, certainly more so than the current ubuntu setup.

--
kernel-team mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team