SUDO

Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SUDO

Billie Walsh
Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?

What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be babysat.

Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Dale Trombley
It's my understanding that the kde devs did this, not Kubuntu. Yes, it's extremely annoying.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020, 11:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?

What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be babysat.

Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Valorie Zimmerman
In reply to this post by Billie Walsh
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?

Unsure what this question has to do with your main question, really. 

What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be babysat.

That was not the reasoning at all. Devels wrestled with how to allow this safely but could not find a way. However, if you need to make an operation that requires sudo powers, a popup gives you a way to provide your password. 

It's a win-win -- you get to do what you need to do, and in a completely safe way. 

Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.

Again, the comparison to Windows does not help your point. 

Valorie

PS: running *any* gui application with sudo is a terrible idea. Ever. 

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Bill Walsh
On 10/9/20 10:20 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?

Unsure what this question has to do with your main question, really. 

What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be babysat.

That was not the reasoning at all. Devels wrestled with how to allow this safely but could not find a way. However, if you need to make an operation that requires sudo powers, a popup gives you a way to provide your password. 

It's a win-win -- you get to do what you need to do, and in a completely safe way. 

Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.

Again, the comparison to Windows does not help your point. 

Valorie

PS: running *any* gui application with sudo is a terrible idea. Ever. 

There are times, such as moving a Thunderbird profile from one computer to a new one so that you have everything on both, that you have to use Dolphin, or some other bit, as administrator. That is the only way you can copy the files to a thumb drive. I know the risks I'm taking when I do something. One of the hallmarks of a Linux operating system has been the ability to "have it my way" as Burger King says.

The main reason I left Windows about twenty years ago was because of the constant babysitting. Try to open a program and the popup that asks if I really want to run that program. Well, if I didn't want to run that program I wouldn't have clicked on it.

I managed to break my Linux installation many times but I leaned from each experience. Simple fix, delete partition, new partition, install. I haven't broken one in about eighteen years now.

If I'm here, running Linux, I must have some idea what I'm doing. If I'm as stupid as they think I am I would still be running Windows. I don't need a baby sitter. IF I do something stupid and break it I will take care of it. It's not their fault. It's mine.

It has come to my attention that another Linux distro has "Run ****** as Administrator" in the menu. Popup box opens and tells you not to do anything stupid and it runs.

I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have loved it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were dissatisfied with Windows for whatever reason. But if it is going to devolve into a "Windows Clone" I suppose I will have to look around for another version of Linux. I don't want to. I would much rather stay with Kubuntu. I have been very happy with it for a very long time.


P. S.

I am NOT a geek/guru/or whatever. I am a simple computer user. I do NOT do command line. If I wanted to use command line I would still be running DOS. I use a Graphical User Interface because that is how I want to use my computer. Click - Runs  Click- Goes Away  Click - Goes to that directory   Click - opens that file   Not sit here typing gobbledegook on the keyboard. However, there are times I must go into a terminal and use something to attain my goal, such as running Dolphin/Kate as administrator.

As I said before, I am aware of the dangers. I use it in Admin mode to do what I need and get the H  E  Double Hockey Sticks out. Only use it when I absolutely have to. I am not ignorant or stupid.

-- 
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. 
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty. 
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty. 
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty. 
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Cody Smith-2
The change isn't about babysitting, as Valerie pointed out, it's about exposing as little of an attack surface to hackers as possible. Despite what some will tell you, linux is not impervious to software vulnerabilities. 

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020, 7:28 AM Bill Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/9/20 10:20 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?

Unsure what this question has to do with your main question, really. 

What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be babysat.

That was not the reasoning at all. Devels wrestled with how to allow this safely but could not find a way. However, if you need to make an operation that requires sudo powers, a popup gives you a way to provide your password. 

It's a win-win -- you get to do what you need to do, and in a completely safe way. 

Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.

Again, the comparison to Windows does not help your point. 

Valorie

PS: running *any* gui application with sudo is a terrible idea. Ever. 

There are times, such as moving a Thunderbird profile from one computer to a new one so that you have everything on both, that you have to use Dolphin, or some other bit, as administrator. That is the only way you can copy the files to a thumb drive. I know the risks I'm taking when I do something. One of the hallmarks of a Linux operating system has been the ability to "have it my way" as Burger King says.

The main reason I left Windows about twenty years ago was because of the constant babysitting. Try to open a program and the popup that asks if I really want to run that program. Well, if I didn't want to run that program I wouldn't have clicked on it.

I managed to break my Linux installation many times but I leaned from each experience. Simple fix, delete partition, new partition, install. I haven't broken one in about eighteen years now.

If I'm here, running Linux, I must have some idea what I'm doing. If I'm as stupid as they think I am I would still be running Windows. I don't need a baby sitter. IF I do something stupid and break it I will take care of it. It's not their fault. It's mine.

It has come to my attention that another Linux distro has "Run ****** as Administrator" in the menu. Popup box opens and tells you not to do anything stupid and it runs.

I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have loved it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were dissatisfied with Windows for whatever reason. But if it is going to devolve into a "Windows Clone" I suppose I will have to look around for another version of Linux. I don't want to. I would much rather stay with Kubuntu. I have been very happy with it for a very long time.


P. S.

I am NOT a geek/guru/or whatever. I am a simple computer user. I do NOT do command line. If I wanted to use command line I would still be running DOS. I use a Graphical User Interface because that is how I want to use my computer. Click - Runs  Click- Goes Away  Click - Goes to that directory   Click - opens that file   Not sit here typing gobbledegook on the keyboard. However, there are times I must go into a terminal and use something to attain my goal, such as running Dolphin/Kate as administrator.

As I said before, I am aware of the dangers. I use it in Admin mode to do what I need and get the H  E  Double Hockey Sticks out. Only use it when I absolutely have to. I am not ignorant or stupid.

-- 
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. 
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty. 
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty. 
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty. 
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Bill Walsh
On 10/10/20 11:32 AM, Cody Smith wrote:
> The change isn't about babysitting, as Valerie pointed out, it's about
> exposing as little of an attack surface to hackers as possible.
> Despite what some will tell you, linux is not impervious to software
> vulnerabilities.
>

I'm well aware of that. Our main protection is the lack of huge user
base. Lower return on investment as it were. Windows has a huge user
base. And, seeing as how most of those machines are run by those that
have no idea helps those with malware on their mind. They need all the
babysitting they can get.

When my mother was living I was the "administrator" of her computer.
She, as the main user, had no admin abilities. I set it up that way. By
doing that malware had no way to autoexecute. It had to have permission
and a password. If the box popped up she was to deny and get away from
whatever.

Linux users are much better educated about operating a systems. I would
hope that by the time someone gets to Linux they need no babysitting.

AND, babysitting is exactly what it is.

--
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo.
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty.
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty.
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty.
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Cody Smith-2
It seems we're not going to be able to get the point of the change across, so I'm bowing out.

--c_smith

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 9:59 AM Bill Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/10/20 11:32 AM, Cody Smith wrote:
> The change isn't about babysitting, as Valerie pointed out, it's about
> exposing as little of an attack surface to hackers as possible.
> Despite what some will tell you, linux is not impervious to software
> vulnerabilities.
>

I'm well aware of that. Our main protection is the lack of huge user
base. Lower return on investment as it were. Windows has a huge user
base. And, seeing as how most of those machines are run by those that
have no idea helps those with malware on their mind. They need all the
babysitting they can get.

When my mother was living I was the "administrator" of her computer.
She, as the main user, had no admin abilities. I set it up that way. By
doing that malware had no way to autoexecute. It had to have permission
and a password. If the box popped up she was to deny and get away from
whatever.

Linux users are much better educated about operating a systems. I would
hope that by the time someone gets to Linux they need no babysitting.

AND, babysitting is exactly what it is.

--
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo.
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty.
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty.
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty.
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Accessys@smart.net
In reply to this post by Billie Walsh

why would one want to open dolphin with SUDO??
it is part of the KDE desktop.
or am I missing something here
or just plain missing something upstairs??

Bob


On Wed, 7 Oct 2020, Yahoo wrote:

> Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?
>
> What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be
> babysat.
>
>       Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.
>
>
> I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my
> shoulder, a la Windows.
>
>
>
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Bill Walsh
On 10/10/20 3:40 PM, Bob wrote:
>
> why would one want to open dolphin with SUDO??
> it is part of the KDE desktop.
> or am I missing something here
> or just plain missing something upstairs??
>
> Bob
When you look in the home directory click on "Show Hidden Files". There
will be a whole bunch of grayed out files with dots ( . ) in front of
the names.

If you load a new computer, which I did on my desk at the TV station
recently, and want to have Thunderbird to have your address book and
profile on the new machine like your other ones you can use Dolphin in
Admin mode to move the old profile to the new machine before you ever
run Thunderbird and everything is there. Once you've started Thunderbird
you can't do that. Won't work. Firefox has a "Synch" but so far it
hasn't been ported over to Thunderbird yet.

There have been a few times in the past where I wanted to edit something
in a "system" file. Instead of using Vi [ SHUDDER UGH! ] start Kate as
admin and use that.

As has been pointed out here, it is dangerous to do so. But, so is
getting in your car and driving to the store. IF you do something like
this do what you have to do and GET OUT. DO NOT do it everyday all day.

--
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo.
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty.
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty.
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty.
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Accessys@smart.net

I do have a lot of hidden files showing,
I do not like thunderbird so have no experience with it.

and when I want to tranfer stuff I usually use an external hard drive or
thumb drive

guess it falls into different strokes etc.

thanks for explanation

Bob



On Sat, 10 Oct 2020, Bill Walsh wrote:

> On 10/10/20 3:40 PM, Bob wrote:
>>
>> why would one want to open dolphin with SUDO??
>> it is part of the KDE desktop.
>> or am I missing something here
>> or just plain missing something upstairs??
>>
>> Bob
> When you look in the home directory click on "Show Hidden Files". There will
> be a whole bunch of grayed out files with dots ( . ) in front of the names.
>
> If you load a new computer, which I did on my desk at the TV station
> recently, and want to have Thunderbird to have your address book and profile
> on the new machine like your other ones you can use Dolphin in Admin mode to
> move the old profile to the new machine before you ever run Thunderbird and
> everything is there. Once you've started Thunderbird you can't do that. Won't
> work. Firefox has a "Synch" but so far it hasn't been ported over to
> Thunderbird yet.
>
> There have been a few times in the past where I wanted to edit something in a
> "system" file. Instead of using Vi [ SHUDDER UGH! ] start Kate as admin and
> use that.
>
> As has been pointed out here, it is dangerous to do so. But, so is getting in
> your car and driving to the store. IF you do something like this do what you
> have to do and GET OUT. DO NOT do it everyday all day.
>
> --
> There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury
> and ammo.
> Please use in that order.
>
> The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to
> influence politics to defend liberty.
> The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a
> government which defends liberty.
> The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone
> being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty.
> The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to
> oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Sheemon Lists
In reply to this post by Bill Walsh
Are the KDE developers the ones that moved all /bin and /sbin to /usr/bin and /usr/sbin and filled the holes with symlinks?
And what is so secure with sudo?  The most offensive breach of security I have seen in a while.
Please stop me someone, before I explode.
And the nonsense called snap.  Oh, please stop me...

Simon


On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 10:28 AM Bill Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/9/20 10:20 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?

Unsure what this question has to do with your main question, really. 

What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be babysat.

That was not the reasoning at all. Devels wrestled with how to allow this safely but could not find a way. However, if you need to make an operation that requires sudo powers, a popup gives you a way to provide your password. 

It's a win-win -- you get to do what you need to do, and in a completely safe way. 

Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.

Again, the comparison to Windows does not help your point. 

Valorie

PS: running *any* gui application with sudo is a terrible idea. Ever. 

There are times, such as moving a Thunderbird profile from one computer to a new one so that you have everything on both, that you have to use Dolphin, or some other bit, as administrator. That is the only way you can copy the files to a thumb drive. I know the risks I'm taking when I do something. One of the hallmarks of a Linux operating system has been the ability to "have it my way" as Burger King says.

The main reason I left Windows about twenty years ago was because of the constant babysitting. Try to open a program and the popup that asks if I really want to run that program. Well, if I didn't want to run that program I wouldn't have clicked on it.

I managed to break my Linux installation many times but I leaned from each experience. Simple fix, delete partition, new partition, install. I haven't broken one in about eighteen years now.

If I'm here, running Linux, I must have some idea what I'm doing. If I'm as stupid as they think I am I would still be running Windows. I don't need a baby sitter. IF I do something stupid and break it I will take care of it. It's not their fault. It's mine.

It has come to my attention that another Linux distro has "Run ****** as Administrator" in the menu. Popup box opens and tells you not to do anything stupid and it runs.

I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have loved it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were dissatisfied with Windows for whatever reason. But if it is going to devolve into a "Windows Clone" I suppose I will have to look around for another version of Linux. I don't want to. I would much rather stay with Kubuntu. I have been very happy with it for a very long time.


P. S.

I am NOT a geek/guru/or whatever. I am a simple computer user. I do NOT do command line. If I wanted to use command line I would still be running DOS. I use a Graphical User Interface because that is how I want to use my computer. Click - Runs  Click- Goes Away  Click - Goes to that directory   Click - opens that file   Not sit here typing gobbledegook on the keyboard. However, there are times I must go into a terminal and use something to attain my goal, such as running Dolphin/Kate as administrator.

As I said before, I am aware of the dangers. I use it in Admin mode to do what I need and get the H  E  Double Hockey Sticks out. Only use it when I absolutely have to. I am not ignorant or stupid.

-- 
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. 
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty. 
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty. 
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty. 
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Sheemon Lists
In reply to this post by Cody Smith-2
Who said anything about immunity?
But what you say sounds so big and important, but empty it still is.


On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 12:34 PM Cody Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
The change isn't about babysitting, as Valerie pointed out, it's about exposing as little of an attack surface to hackers as possible. Despite what some will tell you, linux is not impervious to software vulnerabilities. 

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020, 7:28 AM Bill Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/9/20 10:20 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?

Unsure what this question has to do with your main question, really. 

What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be babysat.

That was not the reasoning at all. Devels wrestled with how to allow this safely but could not find a way. However, if you need to make an operation that requires sudo powers, a popup gives you a way to provide your password. 

It's a win-win -- you get to do what you need to do, and in a completely safe way. 

Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.

Again, the comparison to Windows does not help your point. 

Valorie

PS: running *any* gui application with sudo is a terrible idea. Ever. 

There are times, such as moving a Thunderbird profile from one computer to a new one so that you have everything on both, that you have to use Dolphin, or some other bit, as administrator. That is the only way you can copy the files to a thumb drive. I know the risks I'm taking when I do something. One of the hallmarks of a Linux operating system has been the ability to "have it my way" as Burger King says.

The main reason I left Windows about twenty years ago was because of the constant babysitting. Try to open a program and the popup that asks if I really want to run that program. Well, if I didn't want to run that program I wouldn't have clicked on it.

I managed to break my Linux installation many times but I leaned from each experience. Simple fix, delete partition, new partition, install. I haven't broken one in about eighteen years now.

If I'm here, running Linux, I must have some idea what I'm doing. If I'm as stupid as they think I am I would still be running Windows. I don't need a baby sitter. IF I do something stupid and break it I will take care of it. It's not their fault. It's mine.

It has come to my attention that another Linux distro has "Run ****** as Administrator" in the menu. Popup box opens and tells you not to do anything stupid and it runs.

I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have loved it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were dissatisfied with Windows for whatever reason. But if it is going to devolve into a "Windows Clone" I suppose I will have to look around for another version of Linux. I don't want to. I would much rather stay with Kubuntu. I have been very happy with it for a very long time.


P. S.

I am NOT a geek/guru/or whatever. I am a simple computer user. I do NOT do command line. If I wanted to use command line I would still be running DOS. I use a Graphical User Interface because that is how I want to use my computer. Click - Runs  Click- Goes Away  Click - Goes to that directory   Click - opens that file   Not sit here typing gobbledegook on the keyboard. However, there are times I must go into a terminal and use something to attain my goal, such as running Dolphin/Kate as administrator.

As I said before, I am aware of the dangers. I use it in Admin mode to do what I need and get the H  E  Double Hockey Sticks out. Only use it when I absolutely have to. I am not ignorant or stupid.

-- 
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. 
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty. 
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty. 
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty. 
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Cody Smith-2
Please, the problem has already been solved for the guy in the newsletter thread, let's just leave this be now. I'm sure everyone subscribed to the mailing list (myself included) would appreciate it.

--c_smith

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 7:10 AM Sheemon Lists <[hidden email]> wrote:
Who said anything about immunity?
But what you say sounds so big and important, but empty it still is.


On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 12:34 PM Cody Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
The change isn't about babysitting, as Valerie pointed out, it's about exposing as little of an attack surface to hackers as possible. Despite what some will tell you, linux is not impervious to software vulnerabilities. 

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020, 7:28 AM Bill Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/9/20 10:20 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?

Unsure what this question has to do with your main question, really. 

What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be babysat.

That was not the reasoning at all. Devels wrestled with how to allow this safely but could not find a way. However, if you need to make an operation that requires sudo powers, a popup gives you a way to provide your password. 

It's a win-win -- you get to do what you need to do, and in a completely safe way. 

Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.

Again, the comparison to Windows does not help your point. 

Valorie

PS: running *any* gui application with sudo is a terrible idea. Ever. 

There are times, such as moving a Thunderbird profile from one computer to a new one so that you have everything on both, that you have to use Dolphin, or some other bit, as administrator. That is the only way you can copy the files to a thumb drive. I know the risks I'm taking when I do something. One of the hallmarks of a Linux operating system has been the ability to "have it my way" as Burger King says.

The main reason I left Windows about twenty years ago was because of the constant babysitting. Try to open a program and the popup that asks if I really want to run that program. Well, if I didn't want to run that program I wouldn't have clicked on it.

I managed to break my Linux installation many times but I leaned from each experience. Simple fix, delete partition, new partition, install. I haven't broken one in about eighteen years now.

If I'm here, running Linux, I must have some idea what I'm doing. If I'm as stupid as they think I am I would still be running Windows. I don't need a baby sitter. IF I do something stupid and break it I will take care of it. It's not their fault. It's mine.

It has come to my attention that another Linux distro has "Run ****** as Administrator" in the menu. Popup box opens and tells you not to do anything stupid and it runs.

I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have loved it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were dissatisfied with Windows for whatever reason. But if it is going to devolve into a "Windows Clone" I suppose I will have to look around for another version of Linux. I don't want to. I would much rather stay with Kubuntu. I have been very happy with it for a very long time.


P. S.

I am NOT a geek/guru/or whatever. I am a simple computer user. I do NOT do command line. If I wanted to use command line I would still be running DOS. I use a Graphical User Interface because that is how I want to use my computer. Click - Runs  Click- Goes Away  Click - Goes to that directory   Click - opens that file   Not sit here typing gobbledegook on the keyboard. However, there are times I must go into a terminal and use something to attain my goal, such as running Dolphin/Kate as administrator.

As I said before, I am aware of the dangers. I use it in Admin mode to do what I need and get the H  E  Double Hockey Sticks out. Only use it when I absolutely have to. I am not ignorant or stupid.

-- 
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. 
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty. 
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty. 
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty. 
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Sheemon Lists
And who nominated you a speaker or authority to speak for others?
You voiced your opinion.  I voiced mine.  The coordinator can close this thread for comments if he/she/it chooses to.
But you are right.  I am shutting up.



On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 3:20 PM Cody Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please, the problem has already been solved for the guy in the newsletter thread, let's just leave this be now. I'm sure everyone subscribed to the mailing list (myself included) would appreciate it.

--c_smith

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 7:10 AM Sheemon Lists <[hidden email]> wrote:
Who said anything about immunity?
But what you say sounds so big and important, but empty it still is.


On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 12:34 PM Cody Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
The change isn't about babysitting, as Valerie pointed out, it's about exposing as little of an attack surface to hackers as possible. Despite what some will tell you, linux is not impervious to software vulnerabilities. 

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020, 7:28 AM Bill Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/9/20 10:20 PM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:15 AM Yahoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why is Kubuntu turning into Windows?

Unsure what this question has to do with your main question, really. 

What dev decided that simple minded users cannot be trusted with their operating system and has to be babysat.

That was not the reasoning at all. Devels wrestled with how to allow this safely but could not find a way. However, if you need to make an operation that requires sudo powers, a popup gives you a way to provide your password. 

It's a win-win -- you get to do what you need to do, and in a completely safe way. 

Executing Dolphin with sudo is not possible due to unfixable security vulnerabilities.

I understand those vulnerabilities but it is my choice to do so. I don't need some nanny looking over my shoulder, a la Windows.

Again, the comparison to Windows does not help your point. 

Valorie

PS: running *any* gui application with sudo is a terrible idea. Ever. 

There are times, such as moving a Thunderbird profile from one computer to a new one so that you have everything on both, that you have to use Dolphin, or some other bit, as administrator. That is the only way you can copy the files to a thumb drive. I know the risks I'm taking when I do something. One of the hallmarks of a Linux operating system has been the ability to "have it my way" as Burger King says.

The main reason I left Windows about twenty years ago was because of the constant babysitting. Try to open a program and the popup that asks if I really want to run that program. Well, if I didn't want to run that program I wouldn't have clicked on it.

I managed to break my Linux installation many times but I leaned from each experience. Simple fix, delete partition, new partition, install. I haven't broken one in about eighteen years now.

If I'm here, running Linux, I must have some idea what I'm doing. If I'm as stupid as they think I am I would still be running Windows. I don't need a baby sitter. IF I do something stupid and break it I will take care of it. It's not their fault. It's mine.

It has come to my attention that another Linux distro has "Run ****** as Administrator" in the menu. Popup box opens and tells you not to do anything stupid and it runs.

I have been running (K)Ubuntu now for about eighteen years and have loved it. I've recommended it to many Windows users who were dissatisfied with Windows for whatever reason. But if it is going to devolve into a "Windows Clone" I suppose I will have to look around for another version of Linux. I don't want to. I would much rather stay with Kubuntu. I have been very happy with it for a very long time.


P. S.

I am NOT a geek/guru/or whatever. I am a simple computer user. I do NOT do command line. If I wanted to use command line I would still be running DOS. I use a Graphical User Interface because that is how I want to use my computer. Click - Runs  Click- Goes Away  Click - Goes to that directory   Click - opens that file   Not sit here typing gobbledegook on the keyboard. However, there are times I must go into a terminal and use something to attain my goal, such as running Dolphin/Kate as administrator.

As I said before, I am aware of the dangers. I use it in Admin mode to do what I need and get the H  E  Double Hockey Sticks out. Only use it when I absolutely have to. I am not ignorant or stupid.

-- 
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. 
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty. 
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty. 
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty. 
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SUDO

Myriam Schweingruber-2
Hi Simon,

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 04:54, Sheemon Lists <[hidden email]> wrote:
And who nominated you a speaker or authority to speak for others?
You voiced your opinion.  I voiced mine.  The coordinator can close this thread for comments if he/she/it chooses to.
But you are right.  I am shutting up.


Cody is right, and you are wrong, there is the Ubuntu Code of Conduct that governs this mailing list, which you should read before any further posts.


Regards, Myriam, listadmin

PS. we also of course apply the KDE Community Code of Conduct, since we Kubuntu people are also part of the KDE Community

--
Pronouns: she/her
Proud member of the Amarok and KDE Community: 
Protect your freedom and support the work of the FSFE:

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users