Samba and Plotter...

leo-19
Hi,

I've an HP 450C plotter attached to a computer, with Samba that share
the plotter in a winXP-LAN

PROBLEM:
I can print from winXP client, but only in regular format like
A3,A4,A2 and so on. I need to print in custom format like a plotter
can do, how should i do?

Is there a way to use regular winXP driver with Samba shared plotter?

Thanks in advance

Re: Samba and Plotter...

Eberhard Roloff
leo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've an HP 450C plotter attached to a computer, with Samba that share
> the plotter in a winXP-LAN
>
> PROBLEM:
> I can print from winXP client, but only in regular format like
> A3,A4,A2 and so on. I need to print in custom format like a plotter
> can do, how should i do?
>
> Is there a way to use regular winXP driver with Samba shared plotter?
>
> Thanks in advance
Hi,
I do not know the 450C, but assuming that it is a printer that works with
cups on the linux box, you should be able to share it and use the windows
drivers.

Working with an win XP network, you most probably can even do without samba,
since from w2k, ipp Printing is supported under windows.

regards
Eberhard

Re: Samba and Plotter...

leo-19
2006/10/8, Eberhard Roloff <[hidden email]>:

> Working with an win XP network, you most probably can even do without samba,
> since from w2k, ipp Printing is supported under windows.

Thanks,
Searching on Google i found this method too. Anyway i read that i can
use a "raw" driver in cups, that should allow me to choose winXP
driver (i hope, i'll try soon).

Re: Samba and Plotter...

Eberhard Roloff
leo wrote:

> 2006/10/8, Eberhard Roloff <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Working with an win XP network, you most probably can even do without
>> samba, since from w2k, ipp Printing is supported under windows.
>

> Thanks,
> Searching on Google i found this method too. Anyway i read that i can
> use a "raw" driver in cups, that should allow me to choose winXP
> driver (i hope, i'll try soon).

yes, doing it "raw" on Linux means that the linux server will simply act as
a "forwarder" of the windows driver bytes to the printer, without adding or
substracting from them.

Eberhard

Re: Samba and Plotter...

leo-19
2006/10/8, Eberhard Roloff <[hidden email]>:

> yes, doing it "raw" on Linux means that the linux server will simply act as
> a "forwarder" of the windows driver bytes to the printer, without adding or
> substracting from them.

work perfectly!

i've commented out line "application/octet-stream" both in
/etc/cups/mime.types and /etc/cups/mime.convs and then i have choose
"raw" driver for the printer.

best regards Eberhard