Samsung M2070 cups problem

Michael-3
New printer, print request returns "Cups server error, there was an
error during the cups operation".
"Client-error-document-format-not-supported" Printer is new, same
problem I had with a Kyocera (now removed). Any suggestions please, is
"sudo apt install cups" necessary as well ? Tks.

Re: Samsung M2070 cups problem

Michael-3
Sry, O/S for my Samsung M2070 is Ubuntu 16.04

On 30/12/2018 22:25, michael wrote:
> New printer, print request returns "Cups server error, there was an
> error during the cups operation".
> "Client-error-document-format-not-supported" Printer is new, same
> problem I had with a Kyocera (now removed). Any suggestions please, is
> "sudo apt install cups" necessary as well ? Tks.

Re: Samsung M2070 cups problem

David Goldsbrough-2
Have you installed the latest driver for this printer?  How did you install/add the printer to your device?  What application are you using that produces your error?

Message: 4
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 22:25:33 +0000
From: michael <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [ubuntu-uk] Samsung M2070 cups problem

New printer, print request returns "Cups server error, there was an
error during the cups operation".
"Client-error-document-format-not-supported" Printer is new, same
problem I had with a Kyocera (now removed). Any suggestions please, is
"sudo apt install cups" necessary as well ? Tks.

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 00:21:50 +0000
From: michael <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Samsung M2070 cups problem

Sry, O/S for my Samsung M2070 is Ubuntu 16.04

On 30/12/2018 22:25, michael wrote:
> New printer, print request returns "Cups server error, there was an
> error during the cups operation".
> "Client-error-document-format-not-supported" Printer is new, same
> problem I had with a Kyocera (now removed). Any suggestions please, is
> "sudo apt install cups" necessary as well ? Tks.

------------------------------

End of ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 155, Issue 5

Twitter @daveginboav
I volunteer for AbiltyNet providing free help with computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones to older people and disabled people of all ages

Re: Samsung M2070 cups problem

David Goldsbrough-2
Michael - it is standard practice for you to respond to the list not direct to your responder.
The reason for this is so others can follow the thread and perhaps learn and/or contribute.

In what follows I have assumed your printer is connected direct to your ubuntu device or across wifi.  If your printer is connected direct to your router then there could be router issues.

First, let us determine that your system is up to date.  Inside a terminal issue the command sudo apt update followed by sudo apt upgrade.  Those 2 commands will bring us to the latest state.
Next  establish whether cups is installed.
Best way is to issue this command inside a terminal session
sudo apt install cups

Your system will either respond "cups is already the newest version....." or it will say it is not installed or not at the newest version

 If it is not installed then issue the command sudo apt install cups.  If you install cups - best to shutdown system and reboot.  Try printing after reboot.

If cups is installed then issue these commands
sudo apt-get install cups --reinstall
sudo service cups restart

Then try printing again.

If none of the above works establish whether you have a /atc/cups/cupsd.conf file
 and if not issue these commands
sudo cp /usr/share/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf sudo service cups restart

Hope that helps.

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 19:44, michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ubuntu provides the printer driver, 16.04 is my O/S. The device is detected, shows has installed, but a print request produces the cups message. Samsung only provivide a "quick-start-guide" owners manual which might provide more information, is 300 pages long, a toner-cartridge full. Analysis shows toner cartridge is "full". I have exhausted all possibilities, is the "sudo apt install cups" terminal input needed, please. I'm lost !

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 00:21:50 +0000
From: michael <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 00:21:50 +0000