SandSkater preview

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
I have a preview of SandSkater ready at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkTeam/SandSkater

Please comment. Also read the "Issues" section and see if you have a
hint for me...

Cheers
Mikkel

Re: SandSkater preview

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 15:33 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> I have a preview of SandSkater ready at:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkTeam/SandSkater
>
> Please comment. Also read the "Issues" section and see if you have a
> hint for me...

I have updated SandSkater to version 0.3. I really need some
feedback ...

 * Screenshot: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater.jpg
 * Theme: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater-0.3.tar.gz

Cheers
Mikkel

Re: SandSkater preview

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 23:49 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 15:33 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > I have a preview of SandSkater ready at:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkTeam/SandSkater
> >
> > Please comment. Also read the "Issues" section and see if you have a
> > hint for me...
>
> I have updated SandSkater to version 0.3. I really need some
> feedback ...
>
>  * Screenshot: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater.jpg
>  * Theme: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater-0.3.tar.gz

Sorry for spamming :-D I just had to add this...

Running "metacity-theme-viewer SandSkater" and looking under the
Benchmark tab I see that the SandSkater theme renders three times faster
than the Clearlooks-metacity theme (and three times faster than Glider
too - which should be comparable to the Breezy default theme).

This together with the ultra light Mist theme engine, which the
SandSkater GTK theme is based upon, really makes a HUGE responsiveness
difference on my olde 700MHz box.

Just thought you should now. Anyways - profiling the metacity theme with
metacity-theme-viewer is a nice trick I just discovered.

Cheers
Mikkel

Re: SandSkater preview

Corey Burger
On 3/9/06, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 23:49 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 15:33 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > > I have a preview of SandSkater ready at:
> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkTeam/SandSkater
> > >
> > > Please comment. Also read the "Issues" section and see if you have a
> > > hint for me...
> >
> > I have updated SandSkater to version 0.3. I really need some
> > feedback ...
> >
> >  * Screenshot: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater.jpg
> >  * Theme: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater-0.3.tar.gz
>
> Sorry for spamming :-D I just had to add this...
>
> Running "metacity-theme-viewer SandSkater" and looking under the
> Benchmark tab I see that the SandSkater theme renders three times faster
> than the Clearlooks-metacity theme (and three times faster than Glider
> too - which should be comparable to the Breezy default theme).
>
> This together with the ultra light Mist theme engine, which the
> SandSkater GTK theme is based upon, really makes a HUGE responsiveness
> difference on my olde 700MHz box.
>
> Just thought you should now. Anyways - profiling the metacity theme with
> metacity-theme-viewer is a nice trick I just discovered.
>
> Cheers
> Mikkel

Looks good, but can you put up a png that is lossless? The jpg does
not justice to your work.

Thanks,
Corey

Re: SandSkater preview

Sandis Neilands
Hello!

On 3/10/06, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 15:33 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > I have a preview of SandSkater ready at:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkTeam/SandSkater
> >
> > Please comment. Also read the "Issues" section and see if you have a
> > hint for me...
>
> I have updated SandSkater to version 0.3. I really need some
> feedback ...

I really like your theme. The new metacity theme looks better, but
there is one usability issue - aligning text in titlebar to left for
RTL reading public is wrong.

Another issue is that on my breezy the theme installs fine, but
metacity theme never changes. I use simple instead (looks good too).
--
Sandis

Re: SandSkater preview

Travis Watkins
On 3/9/06, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have updated SandSkater to version 0.3. I really need some
> feedback ...
>
>  * Screenshot: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater.jpg
>  * Theme: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater-0.3.tar.gz

You should make the panel the same color as the menus, otherwise
drawers and the main menu look weird.

--
Travis Watkins
http://www.realistanew.com

Re: SandSkater preview

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 18:46 -0600, Travis Watkins wrote:

> On 3/9/06, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have updated SandSkater to version 0.3. I really need some
> > feedback ...
> >
> >  * Screenshot: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater.jpg
> >  * Theme: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater-0.3.tar.gz
> >

> You should make the panel the same color as the menus, otherwise
> drawers and the main menu look weird.

Based on the feedback until now, I will make the following changes:

 - Center window titles instead of right aligning them
 - Don't color panel buttons (but still menubars)
 - Post a PNG screenie instead of JPG

The installation issue Sandis mentioned should be fixed in 0.3 I
think... Anyway, I'll post an update on monday as I will go on a weekend
leave :-)

Cheers, and thanks for the feedback until now,

Mikkel

SandSkater 0.4 released

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
As promised

* Screenshot: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater.png
* Theme: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater-0.4.tar.gz

This release should reflect the feedback I got from the list. The wiki
page, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkTeam/SandSkater is (ofcourse)
updated accordingly.

Please comment and/or flame me. Cheers,

Mikkel

Re: SandSkater 0.4 released

Sandis Neilands
Hello!

On 3/13/06, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As promised
>
> * Screenshot: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater.png
> * Theme: http://www.skim.dk/SandSkater/SandSkater-0.4.tar.gz
>
> This release should reflect the feedback I got from the list. The wiki
> page, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkTeam/SandSkater is (ofcourse)
> updated accordingly.
>
> Please comment and/or flame me. Cheers,
Very nice indeed. Few more suggestions.
1. Brown text in background tabs is not very readable. Could you
revert to black?
2. Don't know if this could be fixed by theme, but if we look at tabs
in epiphany/terminal/whatever and then look at windows list there
could be some major confusion. Active tab in epi/term is raised, but
active window is pressed in windows list.
3. Icons - have you considered suede (http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/1053)?

Btw, the metacity theme now installs fine on my breezy, thanks.
--
Sandis