Quantcast

Scaling and multiple monitors

ovidiub13
Hello awesome plasma devs!

I've just upgraded to Kubuntu 17.04 Beta 1, with Plasma 5.9.2, and many of my scaling and multiple monitor issues havebeen solved. So, Thank you for that!!

I still have some small issues, and I'd like to ask for help in identifying if they are plasma, kwin or hardware issues.

Here's my setup:

HP Zbook 15 G3 with a HP ZBook Thunderbold Dock. My graphics board is NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] (rev a2), and I have the Nvidia 378 driver.
The laptop dispay is 4K, and connected to the Dock I have 2 FullHD monitors, connected with DisplayPort (not sure if this port is relevant or not).

My issues:

* How do I handle scaling on each monitor?
        * I see that KDE apps, scale automagically, when I move them from one screen to another and this is awesome
        * however, GTK applications (e.g. firefox), web applications (skype and Telegram) don't
        * also the title bar on any app, does not get scaled when moving apps accross monitors, they remain the same size
* The external moniotors are blinking. I mean they are turning black and back on again. They do this at seemgly random intervals. Often enough to disturb any kind of work on them.
        * this seems to happen only when both external monitors are connected
* Scaling between 1.5 and 1.6
        * On 1.5 everything looks acceptable. I'd preffer it a bit bigger, but it's acceptable.
                * however the Mouse pointer is small like a flea. I loose it all the time.
        * if I set the scaling to 1.6, everything is huge, and I do mean big. I can send screenshots if necessary.
                * however the Mouse pointer is normal.
                * the font size is very big, the icons are tolerable, but not ideal.

Please let me know if these are known issues, or should I report bugs for them?
What other info can I provide to identify the cause of these issues?

Best wishes,
Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan
(Crazy person on the Mureș)

Re: Scaling and multiple monitors

ovidiub13
I kept playing around with the settings, trying to scale things to a similar size on all screens and....

Scaling from System Settings, has 3 results:
* Huge text small icons
* tiny text huge icons
* huge text, huge icons

I can see no way of reseting the whole display and scaling set-up.

Please help.

În ziua de luni, 27 februarie 2017, la 13:51:02 EET, Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan a scris:

> Hello awesome plasma devs!
>
> I've just upgraded to Kubuntu 17.04 Beta 1, with Plasma 5.9.2, and many of my scaling and multiple monitor issues havebeen solved. So, Thank you for that!!
>
> I still have some small issues, and I'd like to ask for help in identifying if they are plasma, kwin or hardware issues.
>
> Here's my setup:
>
> HP Zbook 15 G3 with a HP ZBook Thunderbold Dock. My graphics board is NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] (rev a2), and I have the Nvidia 378 driver.
> The laptop dispay is 4K, and connected to the Dock I have 2 FullHD monitors, connected with DisplayPort (not sure if this port is relevant or not).
>
> My issues:
>
> * How do I handle scaling on each monitor?
> * I see that KDE apps, scale automagically, when I move them from one screen to another and this is awesome
> * however, GTK applications (e.g. firefox), web applications (skype and Telegram) don't
> * also the title bar on any app, does not get scaled when moving apps accross monitors, they remain the same size
> * The external moniotors are blinking. I mean they are turning black and back on again. They do this at seemgly random intervals. Often enough to disturb any kind of work on them.
> * this seems to happen only when both external monitors are connected
> * Scaling between 1.5 and 1.6
> * On 1.5 everything looks acceptable. I'd preffer it a bit bigger, but it's acceptable.
> * however the Mouse pointer is small like a flea. I loose it all the time.
> * if I set the scaling to 1.6, everything is huge, and I do mean big. I can send screenshots if necessary.
> * however the Mouse pointer is normal.
> * the font size is very big, the icons are tolerable, but not ideal.
>
> Please let me know if these are known issues, or should I report bugs for them?
> What other info can I provide to identify the cause of these issues?
>
> Best wishes,
> Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan
> (Crazy person on the Mureș)

Re: Scaling and multiple monitors

David Edmundson
They are "the code doesn't exist" issues.

Wayland will fix it; and there's a patchset nearly ready to mege

There is supposedly a way using xrandr --scale. Effectively you set the non high DPI monitor to be twice the size. Set KDE to render everything twice the size using the scale thing then you use --scale to make X downsample the one monitor when rendering. I've never seen it work, as it requires some Ubuntu-only Xorg patches, and it will just bring you some other problems with apps that can't scale themselves.

David