Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
download managers show no downloads occurring.

But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
over an hour.

Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the downloads
being performed?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Wade Smart-2
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
> download managers show no downloads occurring.
>
> But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
> over an hour.
>
> Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
> downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the downloads
> being performed?
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

https://askubuntu.com/questions/257263/how-to-display-network-traffic-in-the-terminal

tcptrack maybe?

Wade

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Gene Heskett-2
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On Saturday 31 March 2018 11:08:18 Bret Busby wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
> download managers show no downloads occurring.
>
> But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
> over an hour.
>
> Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
> downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the downloads
> being performed?
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
Thats something I would use htop to look for, it will be close to the top
of the list shown. Launch it as root and you can kill any process in the
system, some of which will reboot you with zero warnings.

> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..............
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>  written by Douglas Adams,
>  published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> ....................................................



--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Mark Frank
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2


On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello.

I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
download managers show no downloads occurring.

But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
over an hour.

Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the downloads
being performed?


netstat -tcvp 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Mark Frank


On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Mark Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello.

I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
download managers show no downloads occurring.

But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
over an hour.

Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the downloads
being performed?


netstat -tcvp 


On second thought maybe to catch udp traffic also:

netstat -tucvp 


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 11:38:23 -0400, Mark Frank wrote:

>On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Mark Frank <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
>>> download managers show no downloads occurring.
>>>
>>> But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
>>> over an hour.
>>>
>>> Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
>>> downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the
>>> downloads being performed?
>>>
>>>
>> netstat -tcvp
>>
>
>
>On second thought maybe to catch udp traffic also:
>
>netstat -tucvp

Or take a "snapshot" by running

  netstat -taupen

Note, in this exceptional case running

  sudo netstat -tcvp
  sudo netstat -tucvp
  sudo netstat -taupen

could be necessary.

Another useful tool is wireshark.

Too funny, my spam filter is smarter than I'm. It marked Bret's mail as
spam, while I never taught bogofilter to do this. I marked his mail as
ham and now I answer a reply to Bret's mail.

How did you notice that something downloaded 200-300kBps for over an
hour? Do you constantly run and watch

  nload -u m

or a thing like that?

Bret, please, after updating all your personal data, excluding your app
configs, wipe out everything and make a default Ubuntu (flavour)
install, then do a regular update and start to configure the apps
again. Run such a system for a while, before you access your personal
data and before you start to customize your Linux install.

If something strange should happen again, when using a default Ubuntu
(flavour), download and run https://tails.boum.org/ for testing purpose.

Since you ignore all well-intended help, that doesn't fit to what you
like to hear, it seems to be wasting time trying to help you.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 23:08:18 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox)

Some obscure, outdated browser?

I would like to see the output of

  lsb_release -a

and the output of

  apt list packagename_of_browser_1 packagename_of_browser_2


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by Wade Smart-2
On 31/03/2018, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>
>
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
>> download managers show no downloads occurring.
>>
>> But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
>> over an hour.
>>
>> Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
>> downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the downloads
>> being performed?
>>
>> Thank you in anticipation.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/257263/how-to-display-network-traffic-in-the-terminal
>
> tcptrack maybe?
>

The tcptrack identifies the IP address being accessed, but in trying
to do a reverse DNS (?) lookup, I can not fid the domain name. the
information that is returned, shows the location as being, from one
source, Melbourne, Australia, from another source, San Francisco, USA,
but the results name the hosting dervice and not the domain name.

The other command mentioned, netstat, I think, identified the web browser here.

So, I have been able to identify the web browser here, that is
involved, and, I have been able to identify the IP address involved,
but I can not identify the domain name involved.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 00:51:12 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>So, I have been able to identify the web browser here, that is
>involved, and, I have been able to identify the IP address involved,
>but I can not identify the domain name involved.

I don't know how secure https://ipinfo.info/ is, or how much the person
who runs it respects privacy, but maybe

https://ipinfo.info/html/ip_checker.php

could help you, t do, what ever you want to do.

If you want real help consider to answer a few questions:

Which webbrowser is the allegedly culprit? What IP did you get from
running the mentioned commands? What distro and which release are you
using? Have you done some special Bret custumization, perhaps running a
browser that is 8 years old with root provileges? Does the browser
provide some services, such as google safebrowsing? Are you using
obscure plugins? Are you using the Google search engine or any other
suggestions while typing thingy? Does any of the installed apps phones
home and is willing to receive something as well? Are you sure that the
browser is the culprit? Is it another "sabotaged" browser?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Ralf Mardorf-2
Btw. what is "download" for? Is there just traffic, are you receiving
something, or is something stored by a download file?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Bob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Bob
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
** Reply to message from Bret Busby <[hidden email]> on Sun, 1 Apr 2018
00:51:12 +0800

> On 31/03/2018, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > --
> > Registered Linux User: #480675
> > Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> > Linux since June 2005
> >
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
> >> download managers show no downloads occurring.
> >>
> >> But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
> >> over an hour.
> >>
> >> Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
> >> downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the downloads
> >> being performed?
> >>
> >> Thank you in anticipation.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bret Busby
> >> Armadale
> >> West Australia
> >
> > https://askubuntu.com/questions/257263/how-to-display-network-traffic-in-the-terminal
> >
> > tcptrack maybe?
> >
>
> The tcptrack identifies the IP address being accessed, but in trying
> to do a reverse DNS (?) lookup, I can not fid the domain name. the
> information that is returned, shows the location as being, from one
> source, Melbourne, Australia, from another source, San Francisco, USA,
> but the results name the hosting dervice and not the domain name.

I doubt that the IP address has a domain name.  I think it is a highjacked
computer that is being used to find other computers that do not have even the
very basic security.  A lot of ISPs do not assign domain names to their home IP
addresses.


> The other command mentioned, netstat, I think, identified the web browser here.
>
> So, I have been able to identify the web browser here, that is
> involved, and, I have been able to identify the IP address involved,
> but I can not identify the domain name involved.

--
Robert Blair


You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. -- Adrian Rogers

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 12:23:27 -0800, Bob wrote:
>I think it is a highjacked computer

That is guessing.

Take a look at other Bret threads, e.g.

Liam's guess:
"[snip] My reluctant conclusion is that Bret [snip] is unwilling or
unable to take advice, and he will not supply the people trying to help
him with direct, honest, open answers. [snip]" -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293756.html

He consistently is ignoring explanations from this mailing list, e.g.
quoting release notes and ignoring security warnings, see
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293769.html

I suspect Liam and I are not the only subscribers thinking something
like this:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293778.html

Consider to take a look at the "Query about parasitic firefox file"
thread and to take a look at the "Unable to write to new partitions"
thread.

He still did not reply to my request to post the output of

  lsb_release -a

and the output of

  apt list packagename_of_browser_1 packagename_of_browser_2

We also don't know if any browser add-on is used, that might require
some traffic. maybe we could help him, if we would know the IP.

Sure, it could be that one of Bret's completely messed up installs is
highjacked, e.g. by a security whole of an outdated browser, but it's
also possible, that a messed up install suffers from another issue,
without access from a hacker. We don't have any useful information.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Bret Busby-2
On 01/04/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 12:23:27 -0800, Bob wrote:
>>I think it is a highjacked computer
>
> That is guessing.
>
> Take a look at other Bret threads, e.g.
>
> Liam's guess:
> "[snip] My reluctant conclusion is that Bret [snip] is unwilling or
> unable to take advice, and he will not supply the people trying to help
> him with direct, honest, open answers. [snip]" -
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293756.html
>
> He consistently is ignoring explanations from this mailing list, e.g.
> quoting release notes and ignoring security warnings, see
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293769.html
>
> I suspect Liam and I are not the only subscribers thinking something
> like this:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293778.html
>
> Consider to take a look at the "Query about parasitic firefox file"
> thread and to take a look at the "Unable to write to new partitions"
> thread.
>
> He still did not reply to my request to post the output of
>
>   lsb_release -a
>
> and the output of
>
>   apt list packagename_of_browser_1 packagename_of_browser_2
>
> We also don't know if any browser add-on is used, that might require
> some traffic. maybe we could help him, if we would know the IP.
>
> Sure, it could be that one of Bret's completely messed up installs is
> highjacked, e.g. by a security whole of an outdated browser, but it's
> also possible, that a messed up install suffers from another issue,
> without access from a hacker. We don't have any useful information.
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

So, the purpose of this list, is now flaming?

Sad.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 14:05:49 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>On 01/04/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Liam's guess:
>> "he will not supply the people trying to
>> help him with direct, honest, open answers." -
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293756.html
>So, the purpose of this list, is now flaming?
>
>Sad.

It is not flaming, you ask for help, but you don't provide the
information we need to help you. You assume that you have found out
some correct information, while you are missing a lot of basic Linux
knowledge. You don't share this information with us, while asking for
help again. You get similar allegedly misbehaviour what ever browser
you are using. First you at least informed us, that the culprit was
Firefox, a release of Firefox you called "sabotaged" by the developers
and a while back you claimed that Firefox was not compromised by
upstream, but the official Ubuntu repository provided a compromised
version. There is no evidence for your claims. It's happening for
nobody else on this list. We tried to help you, to narrow down the
problem, but you ignore most hints, you are only interested in misusing
a few hints, to confirm your wrong assumptions, but even this fails,
since you cannot confirm wrong assumptions. I provided links to 2
threads out of several more with similar trends. Everybody could read
those two threads and could search the mailing list archive for more
threads. You can not claim that I'm writing untruth. You are wasting
the time of people trying to help you, and your incomplete information
leads to the miscalculation of a "highjacked computer", so the résumé
is that your claims spread fear, doubt, and uncertainty, since Ubuntu
packages or Firefox upstream and now some browser you don't name should
be shady.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On 01/04/2018, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/04/2018, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 12:23:27 -0800, Bob wrote:
>>>I think it is a highjacked computer
>>
>> That is guessing.
>>
>> Take a look at other Bret threads, e.g.
>>
>> Liam's guess:
>> "[snip] My reluctant conclusion is that Bret [snip] is unwilling or
>> unable to take advice, and he will not supply the people trying to help
>> him with direct, honest, open answers. [snip]" -
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293756.html
>>
>> He consistently is ignoring explanations from this mailing list, e.g.
>> quoting release notes and ignoring security warnings, see
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293769.html
>>
>> I suspect Liam and I are not the only subscribers thinking something
>> like this:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-March/293778.html
>>
>> Consider to take a look at the "Query about parasitic firefox file"
>> thread and to take a look at the "Unable to write to new partitions"
>> thread.
>>
>> He still did not reply to my request to post the output of
>>
>>   lsb_release -a
>>
>> and the output of
>>
>>   apt list packagename_of_browser_1 packagename_of_browser_2
>>
>> We also don't know if any browser add-on is used, that might require
>> some traffic. maybe we could help him, if we would know the IP.
>>
>> Sure, it could be that one of Bret's completely messed up installs is
>> highjacked, e.g. by a security whole of an outdated browser, but it's
>> also possible, that a messed up install suffers from another issue,
>> without access from a hacker. We don't have any useful information.
>>
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>>
>
> So, the purpose of this list, is now flaming?
>
> Sad.
>

And, in considering this further, the term cyberbullying comes to
mind, and I am disappointed that this list, being hosted by Unbutu,
has been allowed to descend to the level of cyberbullying.

I therefore request that Ubuntu, or, its owner, Canonical, give
consideration to putting this list on moderation until further notice,
and that no messages that contain any denigrations, or derogatory
comments, about any poster, be allowed.

With that, and the deteriorating nature of the list, I see no benefit
in further continuing this thread, as it has become used to mount a
personal attack on me.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Peter Flynn
On 01/04/18 11:06, Bret Busby wrote:
[...]
> With that, and the deteriorating nature of the list, I see no benefit
> in further continuing this thread, as it has become used to mount a
> personal attack on me.

You risk bringing this upon yourself by refusing to answer questions to
help people help you.

If you ask for help, and someone responds by asking for more information
to help them help you, you MUST provide that information, not ignore them.

I genuinely don't understand why you don't answer the questions you were
asked. Have I missed something you wrote, perhaps? Email does
occasionally get blackholed...

///Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 18:06:38 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>I therefore request that Ubuntu, or, its owner, Canonical, give
>consideration to putting this list on moderation until further notice,
>and that no messages that contain any denigrations, or derogatory
>comments, about any poster, be allowed.

Take a look at

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

1. "For more information and guidelines please see the FAQ -
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ , there you'll
   find: "What is the mailing list etiquette?
   The mailinglists etiquette for all official Ubuntu mailing lists."
   
   So take a look at https://community.ubuntu.com/t/mailing-lists/710 :
   
   "Fundamental aspects of the Code of Conduct relevant to mailing
   lists include:

    Be considerate
    Be respectful
    Be collaborative
    When you disagree, consult others
    When you are unsure, ask for help
    Step down considerately"

   Perhaps some of those points belong to your behaviour in the first
   place. For example is it respectful to claim the Firefox developers
   have sabotaged Firefox? Is it collaborative to provide incomplete
   information?

2. "ubuntu-users list run by uob at tutanota.com, lists at avi.co,
   jrnorris at gmail.com, kogorman at gmail.com"

   It's time intensive to put a whole list under moderation. Who should
   moderate all the traffic? Consider to request, to set the moderation
   bit on posts sent from you. If you would start to ask smart
   questions, see http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ,
   we don't need to be harsh. Being harsh, because you are unrespectful,
   doesn't mean that we are unrespectful, too.

Regards,
Ralf


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Ken D'Ambrosio
On 2018-04-01 07:52, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>    It's time intensive to put a whole list under moderation. Who should
>    moderate all the traffic? Consider to request, to set the moderation
>    bit on posts sent from you. If you would start to ask smart
>    questions, see http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ,
>    we don't need to be harsh. Being harsh, because you are
> unrespectful,
>    doesn't mean that we are unrespectful, too.

I've only stayed on the fringes of this discussion, but, really, this is
an ongoing discussion that can be summed up as "Do the needs of the one
outweigh the needs of the many?"  In Brett's opinion, the answer clearly
is "Yes."  However, Brett is unwilling or unable to play fair as part of
the team: he espouses conspiracy theories, ascribes malice on the part
of others, and ignores advice offered in good faith.  At some point, I
find it reasonable to wonder what, exactly, Brett is looking to get out
of the list, other than a place to put forth his views to a captive
audience?

And I have to say, were the list moderated, I think many of Brett's
e-mails would be some of the first to go.  Certainly when throwing the
Firefox team under the bus.  Are they -- or any developer -- perfect?  
Of course not.  But there's a pretty huge gap between "not perfect" and
"looking to spy on you."  And then to ignore security updates because
you're certain that you -- and nobody else -- has uncovered a conspiracy
to reap your user data, etc., etc.?  Occam's Razor gave up about 10
miles back.

Nutshell: Brett, if you don't like the software, stop using it.  
Microsoft and Apple will happily take your money; various BSDs have more
of an eye in particular toward security.  Tails is Linux aimed almost
entirely at privacy.  But attempting to right wrongs that only you see
is -- rather by definition -- somewhat Quixotic, and unlikely to give
you warm embrace in a community after you keep insisting that the
emperor has no clothes, time after time.  (Apologies for the panoply of
metaphors.)

My two cents, for whatever it's worth,

-Ken

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Chris-2
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On Sat, 2018-03-31 at 23:08 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
> download managers show no downloads occurring.
>
Which browsers are you running?

> But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
> over an hour.
>
> Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
> downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the
> downloads
> being performed?
>
sudo apt install iptraf

http://iptraf.seul.org/about.html

$ sudo iptraf

That's the most I can offer without any more information than you've
provided in this and other posts.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
11:31:41 up 15:56, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.09, 0.27
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS, kernel 4.13.0-37-generic

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Search for utility to identify source of WWW traffic

Udvarias Ur
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
EtherApe

A Graphical Network Browser.


On 2018-03-31 11:08 AM, Bret Busby wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I currently have two web browsers open (not firefox), and their
> download managers show no downloads occurring.
>
> But, something has beeen downloading data at around 200-300kBps, for
> over an hour.
>
> Is a utility available, that can identify what application(s) is/are
> downloading data, and, what URL's are being accessed for the downloads
> being performed?
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
>

--
Udvarias Ur

This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird 52.7.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16.04.3 LTS.

Cette lettre a été générée et envoyée à partir de Thunderbird 52.7.0 sur Ubuntu Linux 16.04.3 LTS.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users