Sec: Unclassified - Pitch Ubuntu at $100 wind up laptop?

Sec: Unclassified - Pitch Ubuntu at $100 wind up laptop?

Stoffers, Robert LAC
I wonder if we should be pitching Ubuntu at the $100 wind up laptop?

http://www.stuffmag.co.uk/hotstuffarticle.asp?de_id=787
http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

Regards,

----
Robert Stoffers
Ubuntu Documentation Team
rob1 at ubuntu.com

rob1 at ubuntu.com

Re: Sec: Unclassified - Pitch Ubuntu at $100 wind up laptop?

Nicola Larosa

Marius Bock wrote:
> As far as I know it was decided to ship it with Red Hat -- probably some
> incarnation of Fedora.  That is after they said no to the free offer
> from Apple for Mac OS X.

I reckon they refused using OS/X because it was not Open Source. We know
that Ubuntu is better than Red Hat, so yes, it would be nice if some effort
could be spent in this direction. :-)

[The sig quote was randomly chosen. No, really! B-D ]

--
Nicola Larosa - [hidden email]

How wonderful the world would be if his behaviour and attitude was the
default among rich people - using his money with a vision to improve the
world, instead of getting 8 sportcars and a larger penis.
 -- barkholt on Slashdot, October 2005, referring to Mark Shuttleworth

Re: Sec: Unclassified - Pitch Ubuntu at $100 wind up laptop?

Benj. Mako Hill-3
<quote who="Stoffers, Robert LAC" date="Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 03:51:19PM +1000">
> I wonder if we should be pitching Ubuntu at the $100 wind up laptop?
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051117-5594.html
> http://www.stuffmag.co.uk/hotstuffarticle.asp?de_id=787
> http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

Ubuntu is well known to the people working on the project. :) I am
currently working on the project at the MIT Media Lab.

I also that Mark and Nicholas Negroponte had a chat at WSIS last week.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
[hidden email]

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS

Re: Sec: Unclassified - Pitch Ubuntu at $100 wind up laptop?

Benj. Mako Hill-3
<quote who="Marius Bock" date="Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 12:33:59PM +0200">
> As far as I know it was decided to ship it with Red Hat -- probably
> some incarnation of Fedora. That is after they said no to the free
> offer from Apple for Mac OS X.

This is not exactly an accurate accounting of the situation.

It's not entirely clear what the software stack will be on the laptop
yet when it ships or how much say in the software the countries that
buy these laptops will choose to have. If China wants tens of millions
and wants to install some sort of RedFlag4Kids distro, I'm not sure
anyone is going to tell them they can't.

IMHO, the most difficult and interesting problems in terms of software
are in making a system that is useful for very young children from a
wide diversity of backgrounds -- perhaps even kids that don't
read. I'm not sure the chose of distribution really has much of an
impact on solving this problem and no current distro (including Fedora
or RHEL) does this well.

Of course, Red Hat is a OLPC partner organization and is involved in
trying to solve these problems. It very well may pull from some
existing Red Hat tools and technologies to solve appropriate
problems. Other non-RH people are also involved including myself.

Of course, any software stack will be 100% free software and we hope
and expect to see (and perhaps build) other ways of approaching the
problem.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
[hidden email]
http://mako.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS

Re: Sec: Unclassified - Pitch Ubuntu at $100 wind up laptop?

Mark Shuttleworth
Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

>I also that Mark and Nicholas Negroponte had a chat at WSIS last week.

Brief, and general, though interesting as ever. Mako, it sounds like
you've had some fun meetings in the past few months :-)

Mark

Sec: Unclassified - Pitch Ubuntu at $100 wind up laptop?

Stoffers, Robert LAC
"I reckon they refused using OS/X because it was not Open Source. We know
that Ubuntu is better than Red Hat, so yes, it would be nice if some effort
could be spent in this direction. :-)"

That's exactly what been reported on http://www.stuffmag.co.uk/hotstuffarticle.asp?de_id=787.

My thought is that given the fact Ubuntu means "humanity to others", what better an operating system to put on a cheap laptop that is to be distributed to children of the third world countries? Particularly seeing that this includes parts of Africa, the place from which the word "ubuntu" originated.

Regards,

----
Robert Stoffers
Ubuntu Documentation Team