Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

anj.tuesday@gmx.net
With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
send-in-your-recommendations feature:

http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4

Re: Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

Lindsay Mathieson
On Wed, 2 May 2012 02:43:34 PM anj tuesday wrote:
> With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
> send-in-your-recommendations feature:
>
> http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4

Those are particularly bad but its becoming a problem across the board now.
Generally take me 3-4 go's to get past the std captchas now on forum postings
etc, it getting really irritating. I'm bothering less and less these days.
--
Lindsay

Am 02.05.2012 15:11, schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012 02:43:34 PM anj tuesday wrote:
>> With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
>> send-in-your-recommendations feature:
>>
>> http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4
> Those are particularly bad but its becoming a problem across the board now.
> Generally take me 3-4 go's to get past the std captchas now on forum postings
> etc, it getting really irritating. I'm bothering less and less these days.
I didn't get past this one at all. It also didn't seem to like my email
address. I'm not sure it's not broken, actually...

Re: Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

gene heskett-4
On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 09:33:31 AM anj tuesday did opine:

> With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
> send-in-your-recommendations feature:
>
> http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4

You got a better series of them than I did, and I also gave up.  But I
should have known better, its a rare occasion indeed when the kde folks
care what the user wants. I have gotten the impression that they will do
anything they can to reduce the volume of incoming mail while making it
_look_ like they take feedback.  Those capcha's are intended to be human
solvable while OCR techniques fail.  But not even I've Been Moved's Watson
could solve those.  Stuff them someplace dark with a methane atmosphere,
please.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You are a bundle of energy, always on the go.

Am 02.05.2012 15:45, schrieb gene heskett:

> On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 09:33:31 AM anj tuesday did opine:
>
>> With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
>> send-in-your-recommendations feature:
>>
>> http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4
> You got a better series of them than I did, and I also gave up.  But I
> should have known better, its a rare occasion indeed when the kde folks
> care what the user wants. I have gotten the impression that they will do
> anything they can to reduce the volume of incoming mail while making it
> _look_ like they take feedback.  Those capcha's are intended to be human
> solvable while OCR techniques fail.  But not even I've Been Moved's Watson
> could solve those.  Stuff them someplace dark with a methane atmosphere,
> please.

Yeah, it feels like you're not supposed to actually manage to
sign up. But I wouldn't blame KDE for the vagaries of
Ubuntu Software Center...?

Re: Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

gene heskett-4
On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:39:59 AM anj tuesday did opine:

> Am 02.05.2012 15:45, schrieb gene heskett:
> > On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 09:33:31 AM anj tuesday did opine:
> >> With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
> >> send-in-your-recommendations feature:
> >>
> >> http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4
> >
> > You got a better series of them than I did, and I also gave up.  But I
> > should have known better, its a rare occasion indeed when the kde
> > folks care what the user wants. I have gotten the impression that
> > they will do anything they can to reduce the volume of incoming mail
> > while making it _look_ like they take feedback.  Those capcha's are
> > intended to be human solvable while OCR techniques fail.  But not
> > even I've Been Moved's Watson could solve those.  Stuff them
> > someplace dark with a methane atmosphere, please.
>
> Yeah, it feels like you're not supposed to actually manage to
> sign up. But I wouldn't blame KDE for the vagaries of
> Ubuntu Software Center...?

Humm, I coulda sworn this was the Kubuntu list. :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I'm hungry, time to eat lunch.

Am 02.05.2012 16:40, schrieb gene heskett:

> On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:39:59 AM anj tuesday did opine:
>
>> Am 02.05.2012 15:45, schrieb gene heskett:
>>> On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 09:33:31 AM anj tuesday did opine:

>>> You got a better series of them than I did, and I also gave up.  But I
>>> should have known better, its a rare occasion indeed when the kde
>>> folks care what the user wants. I have gotten the impression that
>>> they will do anything they can to reduce the volume of incoming mail
>>> while making it _look_ like they take feedback.  Those capcha's are
>>> intended to be human solvable while OCR techniques fail.  But not
>>> even I've Been Moved's Watson could solve those.  Stuff them
>>> someplace dark with a methane atmosphere, please.
>> Yeah, it feels like you're not supposed to actually manage to
>> sign up. But I wouldn't blame KDE for the vagaries of
>> Ubuntu Software Center...?
> Humm, I coulda sworn this was the Kubuntu list. :)
>
> Cheers, Gene
Sure is :) Doesn't turn Ubuntu things into KDE things...

Re: Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

Clay Weber-2
On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 05:04:37 PM anj tuesday wrote:

> Am 02.05.2012 16:40, schrieb gene heskett:

> >> Yeah, it feels like you're not supposed to actually manage to
> >> sign up. But I wouldn't blame KDE for the vagaries of
> >> Ubuntu Software Center...?
> >
> > Humm, I coulda sworn this was the Kubuntu list. :)
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Sure is :) Doesn't turn Ubuntu things into KDE things...

Or turn Captcha things into Ubuntu things turning into Kubuntu things ;)

I have seen official Captcha  reCaptcha images become unreadbale quite often
these days. I wonder if it is the quality of the content they feed out to all
the website authentication areas they service, or they have made it more
difficult to make it tougher for bots and spammers to break. Very frustrating no
matter the reason, as is the spam and porn that makes it through if sites ease
up on the verifications

--
clay

Am 02.05.2012 18:16, schrieb Clay Weber:

> On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 05:04:37 PM anj tuesday wrote:
>> Am 02.05.2012 16:40, schrieb gene heskett:
>>> On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:39:59 AM anj tuesday did opine:

>>> Humm, I coulda sworn this was the Kubuntu list. :)
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene
>> Sure is :) Doesn't turn Ubuntu things into KDE things...
> Or turn Captcha things into Ubuntu things turning into Kubuntu things ;)
>
> I have seen official Captcha  reCaptcha images become unreadbale quite often
> these days. I wonder if it is the quality of the content they feed out to all
> the website authentication areas they service, or they have made it more
> difficult to make it tougher for bots and spammers to break. Very frustrating no
> matter the reason, as is the spam and porn that makes it through if sites ease
> up on the verifications

Why would the unguessable or "wrong locale"-y ones (had some Greek
and Hebrew) even get rolled out? If computers can't "read" them,
wouldn't it have to start with humans consciously deciding to add them
(and their clear text "solutions")? Must be a sadistic bunch...

Re: Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

corphicks
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

Valorie Zimmerman
In Kubuntu, we don't use the software you are complaining about. Muon
Discover is included by default, and is our "software center." If you
prefer a package manager, Muon Package manager is great! I greatly
prefer it over the much older Synaptic.

Valorie

http://about.me/valoriez