Setting screen timeout period on 14.04 clients?

Setting screen timeout period on 14.04 clients?

David Groos
Hi All,
I'm trying to change the settings (on lts.conf?) such that when I'm broadcasting an image/chart/presentation or whatever on student screens (thanks to epoptes) the screen doesn't require a student to move the mouse to keep the screen active. I searched this page: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man5/lts.conf.5.html to no avail.
Thanks,
David G

Re: Setting screen timeout period on 14.04 clients?

John Hupp
On 2/6/2016 1:22 PM, David Groos wrote:
Hi All,
I'm trying to change the settings (on lts.conf?) such that when I'm broadcasting an image/chart/presentation or whatever on student screens (thanks to epoptes) the screen doesn't require a student to move the mouse to keep the screen active. I searched this page: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man5/lts.conf.5.html to no avail.
Thanks,
David G

I'm running Lubuntu and made a script to toggle a pseudo Presentation Mode.  As designed, each student would toggle the setting himself.

Note: The small package libnotify-bin must be installed to use notify-send.
Note: The Presentation Mode settings are not permanent; they expire with the session

#!/bin/bash
# /usr/local/share/applications/xset-mode.sh
# A script to toggle between Presentation and Normal mode and notify the user of the mode
STATUS_MONITOR=$(xset q | grep "DPMS is" | awk '{print $3}')

    if [ "$STATUS_MONITOR" == "Enabled" ]; then

       xset s off
       xset -dpms
       notify-send -t 5000 “The computer is now in Presentation Mode”

    else

       xset s on
       xset +dpms
       notify-send -t 5000 “The computer is now in Normal Mode”

    fi

A desktop entry file to run the script (and appear in the Preferences menu):
/usr/local/share/applications/power-mode-toggler.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0

Type=Application

Name=Power Mode Toggle
Icon=xfpm-ac-adapter

Exec=bash /usr/local/share/applications/xset-mode.sh
Terminal=false

Categories=Settings
Name[en_US]=Power Mode Toggler
Comment[en_US]=Toggle between Presentation and Normal Mode

Re: Setting screen timeout period on 14.04 clients?

David Groos
Hi John,

I'll check this out on the weekend. Not sure what "Presentation mode" is in the context of ltsp?

Thanks!
David

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 10:37 AM, John Hupp <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Άλκης Γεωργόπουλος
On 06/02/2016 08:22 μμ, David Groos wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm trying to change the settings (on lts.conf?) such that when I'm
> broadcasting an image/chart/presentation or whatever on student screens
> (thanks to epoptes) the screen doesn't require a student to move the
> mouse to keep the screen active. I searched this page:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man5/lts.conf.5.html to no avail.
> Thanks,
> David G

File a bug report on epoptes so that we include that ability in some
newer version.

For LTSP, you can do that with X_BLANKING=0.