Setting up NFS but no exportfs program - what to do?

Setting up NFS but no exportfs program - what to do?

larryalk
I am setting up NFS on Kubuntu 6.06 but there is no exportfs which is a
program required to publish the NFS shares in /etc/exports.

I have looked in 'which exportfs' and 'locate exportfs' as root but it's
not on my system.

How can I get it?

My system has installed the following packages: kdenetwork-fileshareing,
nfs-common, nfs-kernel-server, and portmap.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

Re: Setting up NFS but no exportfs program - what to do?

albi@scii.nl
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:26:15 -0500
Larry Alkoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am setting up NFS on Kubuntu 6.06 but there is no exportfs which is
> a program required to publish the NFS shares in /etc/exports.
>
> I have looked in 'which exportfs' and 'locate exportfs' as root but
> it's not on my system.

correct

> How can I get it?
>
> My system has installed the following packages:
> kdenetwork-fileshareing, nfs-common, nfs-kernel-server, and portmap.

try :
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
it works for me (at last in ubuntu breezy)

--
grtjs,
albi

albi wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:26:15 -0500
> Larry Alkoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am setting up NFS on Kubuntu 6.06 but there is no exportfs which is
>> a program required to publish the NFS shares in /etc/exports.
>>
>> I have looked in 'which exportfs' and 'locate exportfs' as root but
>> it's not on my system.
>
> correct
>
>> How can I get it?
>>
>> My system has installed the following packages:
>> kdenetwork-fileshareing, nfs-common, nfs-kernel-server, and portmap.
>
> try :
> /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
> it works for me (at last in ubuntu breezy)

Perhaps they have changed something in Badger 6.0.6.
I have no nfs-kernel-server in /etc/init.d.
There _is_ a nfs-common but looking at the script, I can't see that has
anything to do with exportfs.

Also I cannot understand how a startup script would create the
executable /sbin/exportfs which is where it lives in Linux distros.

In fact, there are several needed programs referenced by nfs-common but
not exportfs.  The referenced programs are
/sbin/rpc.statd, /sbin/rpc.lockd, /usr/sbin/rpc.idmapd and
/sbin/rpc.gssd but no exportfs without which you cannot export the nfs
shares.

What does your 'which exportfs' show?

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

Re: Setting up NFS but no exportfs program - what to do?

albi@scii.nl
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:58:21 -0500
Larry Alkoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps they have changed something in Badger 6.0.6.
> I have no nfs-kernel-server in /etc/init.d.
> There _is_ a nfs-common but looking at the script,
> I can't see that
> has anything to do with exportfs.

i've just done the following on my ubuntu-dapper-desktop :

1) sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server

2) edited /etc/exports, inserted the following :

/home                   192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,async,no_wdelay)

3) sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart

why don't you have /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server ?

# exportfs
/home           192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

# which exportfs
/usr/sbin/exportfs

# dpkg -S /usr/sbin/exportfs
nfs-kernel-server: /usr/sbin/exportfs

--
grtjs,
albi

albi wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:58:21 -0500
> Larry Alkoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps they have changed something in Badger 6.0.6.
>> I have no nfs-kernel-server in /etc/init.d.
>> There _is_ a nfs-common but looking at the script,
>> I can't see that
>> has anything to do with exportfs.
>
> i've just done the following on my ubuntu-dapper-desktop :
>
> 1) sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
>
> 2) edited /etc/exports, inserted the following :
>
> /home                   192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,async,no_wdelay)
>
> 3) sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
>
> why don't you have /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server ?
>
> # exportfs
> /home           192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
>
> # which exportfs
> /usr/sbin/exportfs
>
> # dpkg -S /usr/sbin/exportfs
> nfs-kernel-server: /usr/sbin/exportfs

Well albi, I screwed up.

When I looked at installed packages using Synaptic, I mistakenly thought
the package name with a picture of an red bell next to it meant it was
installed.  Nope, that only means _supported_ and it's the black
rectangle that counts.  My bad.

So I installed nfs-kernel-server and there is /sbin/exportfs just where
it should be.

Sorry for the bother but thanks very much for your help.

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

Re: Setting up NFS but no exportfs program - what to do?

Florian Diesch
Larry Alkoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am setting up NFS on Kubuntu 6.06 but there is no exportfs which is a
> program required to publish the NFS shares in /etc/exports.
>
> I have looked in 'which exportfs' and 'locate exportfs' as root but it's
> not on my system.
>
> How can I get it?
>
> My system has installed the following packages: kdenetwork-fileshareing,
> nfs-common, nfs-kernel-server, and portmap.

/usr/sbin/exportfs is in package nfs-kernel-server

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>