Setting up printer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Setting up printer

Michael Satterwhite
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I'm trying to setup my printer under Kubuntu / CUPS. When I call up the
CUPS administration web page, it asks me for the userid / password. I
tried using the root password (setup for SWAT).

I tried using the system printer setup page, but it won't let me load
the Epson C84 driver (even after invoking admin mode).

Obviously, I'm missing something. Can someone help?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFDrZ6WjeziQOokQnARAv0ZAKCy2y7cW6jpPQUkNcr4N8YBUnHQ2QCghHsy
2jQRg/2g1UszpFL0aDCyKe4=
=YbWY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Setting up printer

Derek Broughton-2
Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> I'm trying to setup my printer under Kubuntu / CUPS. When I call up the
> CUPS administration web page, it asks me for the userid / password. I
> tried using the root password (setup for SWAT).
>
> I tried using the system printer setup page, but it won't let me load
> the Epson C84 driver (even after invoking admin mode).
>
> Obviously, I'm missing something. Can someone help?

This really belongs on the kubuntu-users list, as it's kubuntu specific, so
I've cc'd that list.

If you're administering through the Control Center (if not, how are you
doing it?) then it asks for _your_ password (and not for a userid).
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Setting up printer

Michael Satterwhite
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Derek Broughton wrote:
| Michael Satterwhite wrote:
|
|
|>I'm trying to setup my printer under Kubuntu / CUPS. When I call up the
|>CUPS administration web page, it asks me for the userid / password. I
|>tried using the root password (setup for SWAT).
|>
|>I tried using the system printer setup page, but it won't let me load
|>the Epson C84 driver (even after invoking admin mode).
|>
|>Obviously, I'm missing something. Can someone help?
|
|
| This really belongs on the kubuntu-users list, as it's kubuntu
specific, so
| I've cc'd that list.
|
| If you're administering through the Control Center (if not, how are you
| doing it?) then it asks for _your_ password (and not for a userid).

While I'll agree the control center is kubuntu specific, my first
attempt was http://localhost:631 - which isn't kubuntu specific. It asks
for both a userid and password, but won't accept anything

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFDrc4jjeziQOokQnARAiJnAKCV/P4i769r2tvKrvs13XkbPwExJwCgikzU
elZI+QRG+Eqxx1NIESUP0/w=
=ShF1
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Setting up printer

Derek Broughton-2
Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
> | Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> |
> |
> |>I'm trying to setup my printer under Kubuntu / CUPS. When I call up the
> |>CUPS administration web page, it asks me for the userid / password. I
> |>tried using the root password (setup for SWAT).
> |>
> |>I tried using the system printer setup page, but it won't let me load
> |>the Epson C84 driver (even after invoking admin mode).
> |>
> |>Obviously, I'm missing something. Can someone help?
> |
> |
> | This really belongs on the kubuntu-users list, as it's kubuntu
> specific, so
> | I've cc'd that list.
> |
> | If you're administering through the Control Center (if not, how are you
> | doing it?) then it asks for _your_ password (and not for a userid).
>
> While I'll agree the control center is kubuntu specific, my first
> attempt was http://localhost:631 - which isn't kubuntu specific. It asks
> for both a userid and password, but won't accept anything

<stunned head-shaking />

While I knew that cups uses port 631, and even that there's an HTTP server
running on that port, I never actually thought it was supposed to be user
configurable, and have never tried browsing to it!  You learn something new
every day.  Thanks.

I can manage my printers through that interface without any prompting for
userid/password.  I still think you'd be better off doing this through the
kcontrol interface.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Setting up printer

H.A.J. Koster
In reply to this post by Michael Satterwhite
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:39:31 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> While I'll agree the control center is kubuntu specific, my first
> attempt was http://localhost:631 - which isn't kubuntu specific. It asks
> for both a userid and password, but won't accept anything

That's because the http://localhost:631 route has been disabled -- you are
supposed to use the KDE or GNOME printer setup procedure (which is just a
front for the CUPS procedure). But you can circumvent this, if you wish,
by commenting out the two lines "AuthType Basic" and "AuthClass System"
near the end of the file /etc/cups/cups.confd; now you can use
http://localhost:631 even without any password...

--
H.A.J. Koster
"Behavioral axioms are right, but agents make mistakes..."
(attributed to L.J. Savage)




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Setting up printer

Alexander Jacob Tsykin
In reply to this post by Michael Satterwhite
In Ubuntu, the CUPS we page doesn't work for some reason. Instead use
System => Administration => Printing. The right click on "New Printer"
and seled "Add." Fromt here select the printer you want to use, and
select the driver you want to use.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Replying to threads: was (Re: Setting up printer)

Peter Garrett
On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:06:58 +1100
Sasha Tsykin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Ubuntu, the CUPS we page doesn't work for some reason. Instead use
> System => Administration => Printing. The right click on "New Printer"
> and seled "Add." Fromt here select the printer you want to use, and
> select the driver you want to use.

Sasha, i mentioned this some days ago - you are starting new threads, when
your intention was to answer existing ones. As a result your mail appears
without the context we need to see what you are answering.

Since you also fail to quote, we can't even see what the question was.

You need to reply to the thread in which the question appears, otherwise
we don't know what you are answering.

Peter


--
Unix is hard to learn. The process of learning it is one of multiple small
epiphanies. -- Neal Stephenson

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Setting up printer

Derek Broughton-2
In reply to this post by H.A.J. Koster
Henk Koster wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:39:31 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>
>> While I'll agree the control center is kubuntu specific, my first
>> attempt was http://localhost:631 - which isn't kubuntu specific. It asks
>> for both a userid and password, but won't accept anything
>
> That's because the http://localhost:631 route has been disabled -- you are
> supposed to use the KDE or GNOME printer setup procedure (which is just a
> front for the CUPS procedure). But you can circumvent this, if you wish,
> by commenting out the two lines "AuthType Basic" and "AuthClass System"
> near the end of the file /etc/cups/cups.confd;

cupsd.conf :-)

> now you can use
> http://localhost:631 even without any password...
 
Interestingly, mine seems to have AuthType Basic sprinkled throughout, and
still lets me administer through that interface without a password.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Setting up printer

Phillip Sc. Boegh
In reply to this post by Alexander Jacob Tsykin
> In Ubuntu, the CUPS we page doesn't work for some reason.
In all debian distributions you have to add printers to the cupsys group
befor e you can use cups.

> Instead use
> System => Administration => Printing. The right click on "New Printer"
> and seled "Add." Fromt here select the printer you want to use, and
> select the driver you want to use.
It do not work with deviating printers like large Xeros printers - while
CUPS should work.

>> While I'll agree the control center is kubuntu specific, my first
>> attempt was http://localhost:631 - which isn't kubuntu specific. It asks
>> for both a userid and password, but won't accept anything
>
> That's because the http://localhost:631 route has been disabled -- you are
> supposed to use the KDE or GNOME printer setup procedure (which is just a
> front for the CUPS procedure). But you can circumvent this, if you wish,
> by commenting out the two lines "AuthType Basic" and "AuthClass System"
> near the end of the file /etc/cups/cups.confd; now you can use
> http://localhost:631 even without any password...
It does _not_ sound secure - is it a way we may produce our own security
hole?

> I still think you'd be better off doing this through the kcontrol
> interface.
When you use Gnome ?-)

As mentioned you cannot always do so! - while CUPS look like a general
method.

Regards

Phillip


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users