Settings

Bob

Re: Settings

Bob
** Reply to message from Liam Proven <[hidden email]> on Tue, 9 Oct 2018
12:15:40 +0200

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 at 19:39, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Looking at the old messages I did not elaborate on the mouse problems but I did
> > when I posted the original problem in a message with the subject "Problems with
> > dual moniters" which got no responses.
>
> I don't think it's really fair to ask us to recall every previous
> message and info that was in it! :-(
>

> > I am running Ubuntu 18.04.1 as it comes on the DVD with no customizations on an
> > ASUS X541S laptop.
> > Logiteck USB wireless mouse and I did swap them with another system that does
> > not have a problem.
> >

> > Both screens display the data as wide screen but there are mouse dropping
> > everywhere and the cursor does not move smoothly and holding the button down to
> > drag something it appears as if you are not keeping the button down (bouncing).
> > Makes it hard to keep track of where the real cursor is located even harder to
> > drag an object to another location.  At first I thought my mouse was failing so
> > I tried a different mouse so it is not a mouse problem.  It seems that this
> > problem has been around for a long time.  My searching did not come up with a
> > fix.
>
> I've gone digging and found your previous message. It looks like you
> have the low-end model in that series, with a Celeron chip and Intel
> on-board graphics. Is that right?
>
> Have you installed any optional drivers or microcode? If not, you
> should do that.
>
> Open "software & updates". Click the "additional drivers" tab. Enable
> any additional options that you can. Reboot.
>
> I also do not know if you are running GNOME on X.11 or on Wayland. It
> is a choice on the login screen. I think X.11 is the default but I
> don't run GNOME myself. Try Wayland instead of X.org.

I switched to Wayland and that works correctly.

Thanks.

--
Robert Blair

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.  -- Aesop

Re: Settings

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 10.10.2018, 06:20 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via
ubuntu-users:

> A BIOS update could help, too, but can't be done by installing a
> package.

well, fwupdate is pre-installed in ubuntu since some time between 14.04
and 16.04, if you don't use extremely non-standard hardware it will
download and apply an UEFI update (if your HW isnt older than ... say
10 years and comes with a legacy BIOS) ... admittedly you need to call
a cli command, not install a package, but the effort i about similar

ciao
        oli

Re: Settings

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 at 22:47, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is why I did not ask for help using the display through an HDMI
> connection, just stated I needed to wait for a fix.

OK, fair enough.

For what it's worth -- my take on something like this would be:
"something is wrong here and I need to find out what it is and if I
can fix it". A problem with using a port is a problem, full stop. The
fact that it _manifests_ as mouse issues and the screen is OK doesn't
mean "don't worry about it" -- it means there's a problem to
investigate.

> This has an Intel Pentium CPU N3710 quad core with Intel HD Graphics 405
> (Braswell)

OK.

Can you give me the full exact model number? It's probably on a
sticker on the bottom of the case.

> > Open "software & updates". Click the "additional drivers" tab. Enable
> > any additional options that you can. Reboot.
>
>  The additional drivers list is empty.  I did not see anything to enable.

OK, well that's good, actually, inasmuch as it rules out one avenue to explore.

> I think it is running X.org.  I do not know where to check if it is running
> X.11 or X.org.
>
> OK I will try Wayland.

So you found it? :-)

> > And as I always say, ensure that you are on the latest system firmware
> > for your machine.
>
> As I understand it Ubuntu automatically updates the Intel firmware.  Correct me
> if I am wrong.

What? No! Not at all. If it did, it would not be something I always
say, would it?

Firmware updates are, generally, something you must manually do
yourself, from Windows or booted off a USB key or something.

Even in Windows, where you have a supported tool, and a program to
check, and you run the check, it's not automatic. e.g. my own Thinkpad
X220, which I recently discovered to my great surprise actually has
UEFI, and dual-boots the latest Win10, and has the Lenovo System
Checker (or whatever it's called) installed.

I only boot Windows once in a few months. Lots of updates then follow.
The Lenovo tool runs automatically and checks. It never found new
firmware.

But nonetheless, there _was_ newer firmware and a couple of months ago
I had to download it myself and install it myself.

(It didn't change anything, but I like to keep current.)

Give me the _exact_ model number and find out what version your
firmware is -- go into it and look for an "about" screen or version
number -- and  I will find the current one and tell you if you need to
update.

Re: Settings

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 11:33:26 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>Firmware updates are, generally, something you must manually do
>yourself, from Windows or booted off a USB key or something.

Not always, see Oliver's reply, there is

  fwupdate

For my Toshiba SSDs there's a Linux GUI tool provided, I can launch by

  gksudo ocz-ssd-utility

Toshiba provides additional tools, but I don't know how much you could
automate by command line. Maybe an check of available updates
and possible updates of the firmware could be done by e.g. a cron job,
too.

The repos provide a few "installers", see the output of

  apt list -a '*firm*' 2>/dev/null|grep installer

Re: Settings

Liam Proven
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 12:20, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not always, see Oliver's reply, there is
>
>   fwupdate
>
> For my Toshiba SSDs there's a Linux GUI tool provided, I can launch by
>
>   gksudo ocz-ssd-utility
>
> Toshiba provides additional tools, but I don't know how much you could
> automate by command line. Maybe an check of available updates
> and possible updates of the firmware could be done by e.g. a cron job,
> too.
>
> The repos provide a few "installers", see the output of
>
>   apt list -a '*firm*' 2>/dev/null|grep installer

Yes, I saw it.

Since I moved from tech-support work over to other fields, the amount
of different systems I see and work with has dropped a lot. But
suffice to say I have _never ever_ seen a machine successfully
self-update its own firmware without user intervention, and from a
skilled user, too.

It may happen one day. Gradually the tools are being put in place. But
it does not work yet. Bob's comment was therefore badly wrong.

Re: Settings

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 12:41:19 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>I have _never ever_ seen a machine successfully self-update its own
>firmware without user intervention

IMO a firmware update shouldn't happen automatically. Even my DVB-T2
receiver asks me before loading and installing a firmware update. The
vendor of my tower PC's modem recommends against installing updates, if
everything works as expected. Toshiba warns the user that updating the
SSDs firmware could cause data loss. I never lost data, but it could
happen.

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-securityink,-pussytoes,-cornflower}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.18.12.arch1-1

Re: Settings

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 13:03:48 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 12:41:19 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>>I have _never ever_ seen a machine successfully self-update its own
>>firmware without user intervention
>
>IMO a firmware update shouldn't happen automatically. Even my DVB-T2
>receiver asks me before loading and installing a firmware update. The
>vendor of my tower PC's modem recommends against installing updates,
>if
        This should read ^^^^^
                         mobo ;)

>everything works as expected. Toshiba warns the user that updating the
>SSDs firmware could cause data loss. I never lost data, but it could
>happen.

Re: Settings

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 13:05, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> IMO a firmware update shouldn't happen automatically. Even my DVB-T2
> receiver asks me before loading and installing a firmware update. The
> vendor of my tower PC's modem recommends against installing updates, if
> everything works as expected. Toshiba warns the user that updating the
> SSDs firmware could cause data loss. I never lost data, but it could
> happen.

I agree.

But I did not *say* automatically and I do not *mean* automatically.

I mean I have never seen a modern computer, running its native
OS/drivers/tools, put up a message or notify you or anything "my
firmware is out of date, should I update it?" and it actually happen.

Windows NT Server 3.51 running on my ancient IBM PS/2 Model 80 -- a
circa 1995 OS on circa 1987 hardware -- said that the firmware on my
SCSI controller was out of date. It even told me _which_ of my 2 SCSI
controllers.

But it didn't tell me a version number, or where to get a newer
version, and I was never able to find one.

But even the 2 Lenovo machines that I maintain, with the latest
Windows on them, the latest Lenovo system-maintenance tools, are not
able to detect that the motherboard UEFI is out of date, and are not
able to tell me what the current version from Lenovo is. They can
report the installed version, but not the newest available. They are
not able to fetch the new version for me to install.

I have to manually go to the website, check with a model number, fetch
the update, and install it myself.

Using Windows.

Honestly, I am not brave enough to try this using Linux. I have
"bricked" machines before with failed firmware updates. Once, just
once, a colleague was able to rescue it for me -- I was not, and I am
fairly good at this stuff.

Re: Settings

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Wed, 2018-10-10 at 13:13 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> Honestly, I am not brave enough to try this using Linux.

I've got similar concerns. I'm using the ocz-ssd-utility without
concerns, since it's from the vendor. The SSDs are warranted and I've
got backups of everything on those SSDs. For a BIOS upgrade I simply
store the download on an USB stick or an USB HDD and do the update using
the BIOS. I anyway tend to store BIOS settings first and restart the
machine after updating, so there's no reason to risk anything using a
Linux tool.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/fwupdate.1.html

https://github.com/rhboot/fwupdate

Too many terms I never heard before and that I don't understand, let
alone that I don't have an "EFI system partition".

I don't understand how to use fwupdate.

Updating the BIOS, using the BIOS itself isn't an issue at all...

$ sudo dmidecode | grep Base\ Board\ Information -A2
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
        Product Name: B85M-D3H
$ sudo dmidecode | grep BIOS\ Information -A3
BIOS Information
        Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
        Version: F15
        Release Date: 08/20/2015

...even without taking a look at the mobo, to find out the revision,
since all revisions 1.x share the same download link
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B85M-D3H-rev-10-11#support-dl-bios
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B85M-D3H-rev-12#support-dl-bios

and the name pattern for BIOS versions of revisions 2.x boards is
completely different.

Bob

Re: Settings

Bob
** Reply to message from Liam Proven <[hidden email]> on Wed, 10 Oct 2018
11:33:26 +0200

ASUS model X541SA-PD0703X

BIOS Vendor American Megatrends
Version 301
GOP Version 8.0.1038
EC Version FOBS0600

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 21:25, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ** Reply to message from Liam Proven <[hidden email]> on Wed, 10 Oct 2018
> 11:33:26 +0200
>
> ASUS model X541SA-PD0703X
>
> BIOS Vendor     American Megatrends
> Version         301
> GOP Version     8.0.1038
> EC Version      FOBS0600

Yep, that's the latest, I'm afraid. So a firmware update isn't an option. :-(