Quantcast

Shock announcement

Liam Proven
OK, not a tech query, but important Ubuntu news from the SABDFL

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/

Re: Shock announcement

TT Mooney-2
Not all that surprising -- Phone/Touch never took off. Killing Unity is a surprise, and I like the UI, but understandable. There was just too much of a disconnect from the community.

I still believe in convergence, but I don't pretend to know how it's going to happen (I'm hoping my next-gen Psion has something to do with it). I do know that Android isn't great, and we need a FOSS equivalent to Apple's integration.

--

******

Travis Mooney
Technologist and Writer
+44 (0)7908631440
Skype: ttmooney

Re: Shock announcement

Tony Scott-2
Does anyone know if it is possible through the use of extensions etc
if it would be possible to recreate some or all of the Unity desktop
experience in GNOME?

If it is, I would propose this would be the way forward for the next
LTS release.

--
Tony Scott
https://tonyscott.org.uk

On 5 April 2017 at 22:14, TT Mooney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not all that surprising -- Phone/Touch never took off. Killing Unity is a surprise, and I like the UI, but understandable. There was just too much of a disconnect from the community.
>
> I still believe in convergence, but I don't pretend to know how it's going to happen (I'm hoping my next-gen Psion has something to do with it). I do know that Android isn't great, and we need a FOSS equivalent to Apple's integration.
>
> On 05/04/2017 21:49, Liam Proven wrote:
>> OK, not a tech query, but important Ubuntu news from the SABDFL
>>
>> https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/
>>
>> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/
>>

> --
>
> ******
>
> Travis Mooney
> Technologist and Writer
> +44 (0)7908631440
> Skype: ttmooney

Re: Shock announcement

Simon Greenwood
Just as I got Ubuntu Touch running on a Nexus 4 too​. There has been a distinct feeling recently that alternative phone OSes are becoming more of a niche (if that's possible).

​It shouldn't take much for Gnome to look like Unity, but then again the question may be how far Canonical go with working on that.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
“Work as if you lived in the early days of a better nation.”—Alasdair Gray.

Re: Shock announcement

Jim Price-4
On 06/04/17 00:26, Tony Scott wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible through the use of extensions etc
> if it would be possible to recreate some or all of the Unity desktop
> experience in GNOME?
>
> If it is, I would propose this would be the way forward for the next
> LTS release.

Gnome3 wouldn't be my first choice of desktop to use to try and imitate
another one - that would be Enlightenment. Bodhi Linux uses it to come
close to looking like Gnome2 (only better), and there would be no
problem arranging the launchers down the left hand side (six position
options in that arrangement, plus autohide). I don't know if the hud and
lenses etc. would be easy to get going on another desktop.

--
JimP.

Re: Shock announcement

David Goldsbrough-2
I hope for one of two things at least:
  • some group of people will step forward and fork Unity as a Desktop Environment for use on desktop/laptops/notebooks
  • that GNOME is as easy to configure for Low Vision users as Unity (large icons, large font, colours, etc)

--
Sent from my Lenovo Thinkpad T410 running 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Re: Shock announcement

Tony Pursell-2
I'm not too bothered about the desktop, although I am rather fond of Unity.  I am wondering, however, if Unity is dead and buried, or is it just Unity 8?

I will be sad, however, if I have to give up on my Ubuntu phone.  I know that the Ubuntu phone is limited but I do find it best for routine stuff like email, Facebook and BBC news.  It's much more like having a computer in my pocket than my Android phone (needed for banking app, for instance).  It already seems as though developers have given up on the phone, and this will put them off even more.

On 6 April 2017 at 17:29, David Goldsbrough <[hidden email]> wrote:
I hope for one of two things at least:
  • some group of people will step forward and fork Unity as a Desktop Environment for use on desktop/laptops/notebooks
  • that GNOME is as easy to configure for Low Vision users as Unity (large icons, large font, colours, etc)

--
Sent from my Lenovo Thinkpad T410 running 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Re: Shock announcement

alan auckland

What about maruos?

Get Outlook for Android

https://plus.google.com/u/0/110699558853693437587/posts/7RHujp9u7oW

--
Tony Scott
https://tonyscott.org.uk

On 6 April 2017 at 18:55, alan auckland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about maruos?
>
> Get Outlook for Android
>

> ________________________________

Re: Shock announcement

On 6 April 2017 at 18:22, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gnome3 wouldn't be my first choice of desktop to use to try and imitate
> another one - that would be Enlightenment.

Well, firstly, the SABDFL has said it will be GNOME, so it will be GNOME.

Secondly, GNOME is still a very major desktop, basis of much of Unity
anyway, and under active development. I was at the GUADEC GNOME
developers' conference in Germany last summer and it's got a lot of
people and interest.

Enlightenment is niche and always has been. It offers no compelling
advantages, just bling, IMHO.

> Bodhi Linux uses it to come close

Interesting. I don't see much resemblance myself. Also note that even
Bodhi, the Enlightenment-on-Ubuntu remix, has forked Enlightenment 17
to make Moksha.

When a desktop's flagship distro forks the desktop, it's a bad sign.

But anyway, a desktop is more than a look & feel. Enlightenment and
Moksha use EFL. GNOME uses GTK. GNOME 3 uses GTK 3, which is also the
basis of Unity & Cinnamon, plus both XFCE and Maté are quickly moving
to it.

Finally, GNOME supports Wayland, which increasingly looks like the
only future successor to X.11. X is very old and something newer and
better is wanted by a lot of people.

Does Enlightenment work on Wayland?

> to looking like Gnome2 (only better),

Interesting. I'd say the opposite, myself.

> and there would be no problem
> arranging the launchers down the left hand side (six position options in
> that arrangement, plus autohide).

That's fairly simple cosmetics.

> I don't know if the hud and lenses etc.
> would be easy to get going on another desktop.

GNOME Shell is search-based, so yes, that aspect would be. Specific
item-type searches, I don't know.

The HUD is a very good point though. I personally hate that and when I
can I disable it, but I guess it might have some fans.

Re: Shock announcement

On 6 April 2017 at 19:42, Tony Pursell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not too bothered about the desktop, although I am rather fond of Unity.
> I am wondering, however, if Unity is dead and buried, or is it just Unity 8?

Unity 7 is now maintenance-only. No new releases or features.

It basically has been for some years now...

Re: Shock announcement

Jim Price-4
On 08/04/17 10:32, Liam Proven wrote:
> Finally, GNOME supports Wayland, which increasingly looks like the
> only future successor to X.11. X is very old and something newer and
> better is wanted by a lot of people.
>
> Does Enlightenment work on Wayland?

Yes, although I haven't tried it. Wayland was announced as a replacement
for X in Ubuntu before Mir was conceived. I'm not holding my breath.

--
JimP