Quantcast

Should removing old kernels trigger the "reboot required" message?

Should removing old kernels trigger the "reboot required" message?

Adam Funk-4
I was just using apt-get and did `apt-get autoremove` as recommended
to remove an old set of kernel packages (linux-image-4.8.0-44-generic,
linux-image-extra-4.8.0-44-generic, linux-headers-4.8.0-44).  That
still leaves the 4.8.0-45 and 4.8.0-46 sets installed, and the system
is running -46 already (I rebooted after apt-get installed it a couple
of days ago).

This has set the reboot-required files:

$ cat /var/run/reboot-required*
*** System restart required ***
linux-base

So I know that next time I log in (GUI or ssh) it will tell me it
needs a restart.  I can't see any reason why this is really necessary
after removing a kernel that wasn't running, so I'm in the habit of
deleting those files in (only) this situation.  Is that harmless?  Is
there a good reason why the system sets the reboot files in this case?

(I can't be sure, but I'm under the impression that Ubuntu hasn't
always set the reboot files in this particular case --- I think it
started in the past couple of years.)

Thanks,
Adam

Re: Should removing old kernels trigger the "reboot required" message?

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 09:10:42 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
>Is there a good reason why the system sets the reboot files in this
>case?

No, there isn't. It's 100% rubbish!

Re: Should removing old kernels trigger the "reboot required" message?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 07.04.2017, 09:10 +0100 schrieb Adam Funk:
>  Is that harmless?  Is
> there a good reason why the system sets the reboot files in this
> case?

while usually being harmless, the removal of the packages will run
update-grub to re-generate the bootloader configuration, so suggesting
a reboot to the user to make sure everything is still in order isn't a
bad idea ...

ciao
        oli

Re: Should removing old kernels trigger the "reboot required" message?

Robert Heller
At Fri, 7 Apr 2017 17:34:14 +0200 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 09:10:42 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
> >Is there a good reason why the system sets the reboot files in this
> >case?
>
> No, there isn't. It's 100% rubbish!

Yes, there is probably some check of the dates of grub.cfg and last boot time
or something like that.  Or some flag file created when apt-get update files
in /boot that get cleared at boot time.  Or some nonsense like that.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

On 2017-04-07, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 07.04.2017, 09:10 +0100 schrieb Adam Funk:
>>  Is that harmless?  Is
>> there a good reason why the system sets the reboot files in this
>> case?
>
> while usually being harmless, the removal of the packages will run
> update-grub to re-generate the bootloader configuration, so suggesting
> a reboot to the user to make sure everything is still in order isn't a
> bad idea ...

Interesting point, but I guess it's unlikely unless the grub
configuration options have been changed too?

On Di, 2017-04-11 at 13:22 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2017-04-07, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>

> > hi,
> > Am Freitag, den 07.04.2017, 09:10 +0100 schrieb Adam Funk:
> > >
> > >  Is that harmless?  Is
> > > there a good reason why the system sets the reboot files in this
> > > case?
> >
> > while usually being harmless, the removal of the packages will run
> > update-grub to re-generate the bootloader configuration, so
> > suggesting
> > a reboot to the user to make sure everything is still in order
> > isn't a
> > bad idea ...
>
> Interesting point, but I guess it's unlikely unless the grub
> configuration options have been changed too?

well, adding removing a kernel entry changes them ...

also, IIRC your initrd gets re-generated ...

ciao
        oli