Should ubuntu play DVDs gratis?

andres
Hi all,
I got some DVDs from my local library disney or disney type films. Fairly recent and old ones.

Started reading:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Is libdvdcss2 legal un uk?

Is there a payable pakage I need install? I seem to recall one of the first things you could buy in the software centre* had something to do with this, f(…) something? Might be an option to buying a new DVD.

--
Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.

Re: Should ubuntu play DVDs gratis?

Daniel Llewellyn
Andres,

fluendo dvd player is a proprietary product which can play DVDs. Fluendo also do a pack of "codecs" which include among others a plugin for Windows Media format (unencrypted only). The codecs work for any gstreamer-based player but not others such as mplayer, vlc or xine. Also the DVD player is a separate app which doesn't enable DVD playback in totem or any other player which you may prefer :-(.

On 2 de marzo de 2014 00:09:02 GMT, Daniel Llewellyn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Andres,
>
>www.fluendo.com
>
>fluendo dvd player is a proprietary product which can play DVDs.
>Fluendo
>also do a pack of "codecs" which include among others a plugin for
>Windows
>Media format (unencrypted only). The codecs work for any
>gstreamer-based
>player but not others such as mplayer, vlc or xine. Also the DVD player
>is
>a separate app which doesn't enable DVD playback in totem or any other
>player which you may prefer :-(.

That's the one! I now have a price to compare with a new dvd $25 and fixing a noisy computer fan. And hating myself for letting 'the man' win with their propietary stuff. I prefer fluendo rather than being oblivious with a dvd player.

Does that mean libdvdcss2 is ilegal in UK? Wikipedia says it has never been legally challenged.

--
Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.

Re: Should ubuntu play DVDs gratis?

Pete Smout-2

Re: Should ubuntu play DVDs gratis?

Liam Proven
On 2 March 2014 08:59, Peter Smout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have libdvdcss2 installed here in
> the UK

Same here.

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: [hidden email] * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven

Re: Should ubuntu play DVDs gratis?

Nigel Verity
Hi

The implementation of the law in the UK is already a laughing stock. I think it would move into another league if an attempt were ever made to prosecute somebody for using libdvdcss2.

I would just "install and be damned".

Nige

Re: Should ubuntu play DVDs gratis?

Michael-2
On 02/03/14 00:09, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:
[...]

VLC, available for Linux and MS Windows, a freeware package, will play a DVD, regardless of region coding.

On 02/03/14 14:31, Michael wrote:

> On 02/03/14 00:09, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:
>> Andres,
>>
>> www.fluendo.com <http://www.fluendo.com>
>>
>> fluendo dvd player is a proprietary product which can play DVDs.
>> Fluendo also do a pack of "codecs" which include among others a plugin
>> for Windows Media format (unencrypted only). The codecs work for any
>> gstreamer-based player but not others such as mplayer, vlc or xine.
>> Also the DVD player is a separate app which doesn't enable DVD
>> playback in totem or any other player which you may prefer :-(.
>>

>> On 1 March 2014 23:02, Andres <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>     I got some DVDs from my local library disney or disney type films.
>>     Fairly recent and old ones.
>>
>>     Started reading:
>>     https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
>>
>>     Is libdvdcss2 legal un uk?
>>
>>     Is there a payable pakage I need install? I seem to recall one of
>>     the first things you could buy in the software centre* had
>>     something to do with this, f(?) something? Might be an option to
>>     buying a new DVD.
>>

>>     --
>>     Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.
>>     --
>>

>> --
>> Daniel Llewellyn
>>

> VLC, available for Linux and MS Windows, a freeware package, will play a
> DVD, regardless of region coding.

......and I seem to remember that libdvdcss2 is now stored on videolan's
website since the sad demise of medibuntu!

Pete S

On 2 March 2014 14:31, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> VLC, available for Linux and MS Windows, a freeware package, will play a
> DVD, regardless of region coding.

Yes it will, but AFAIK, mostly without the use of hardware
acceleration from the video card, meaning high CPU usage (& battery
drain on laptops) and poor performance on low-end systems.

?

On 2 de marzo de 2014 14:59:14 GMT, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>On 2 March 2014 14:31, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> VLC, available for Linux and MS Windows, a freeware package, will
>play a
>> DVD, regardless of region coding.
>

>Yes it will, but AFAIK, mostly without the use of hardware
>acceleration from the video card, meaning high CPU usage (& battery
>drain on laptops) and poor performance on low-end systems.

Last I checked VLC did not work at all with something like: could not play medium displayed.
I don't think it is a low end computer as it plays on windows xp on same computer. Will check if vlc on windows works.

--
Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.

Re: Should ubuntu play DVDs gratis? [OFF TOPIC]

alan c-2
On 02/03/14 12:40, Nigel Verity wrote:
> Hi
>
> The implementation of the law in the UK is already a laughing stock. I think it would move into another league if an attempt were ever made to prosecute somebody for using libdvdcss2.
>
> I would just "install and be damned".
>
> Nige

OFF TOPIC:
Another possibility is to try to influence lawmakers, our
representatives(!)
I joined The Pirate Party UK, who are active and well informed, and
are consulted by organisations wanting good information. Pirate
Parties are well represented in Europe mainland, particularly where
representation is more than 'first past the post'.

You may know that such parties were first invented by Rick Falkvinge,
who is still active and has a website full of really interesting stuff.

To celebrate a big birthday of mine, also after joining up into PPUK,
I commanded a birthday cake from a big supermarket chain. Pirate
theme. The theme was fully available, but the age had to have a zero
put on the end ;-)  Caused much mirth and merriment.

Enjoy
--
alan cocks